Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins

Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffin Recipe on twopeasandtheirpod.com

Hopefully, most of you have the day off and are still in your pajamas. Put the box of cereal and milk away, because you deserve a special breakfast on your day off. These Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins are calling your name. And if you have kiddos, I am sure they will love helping you make muffins for breakfast. I promise they are easy to make and will fill your house with a pleasant cinnamon aroma that will wake up anyone that is sleeping in.

Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffin Recipe on twopeasandtheirpod.com #recipe

These muffins are made with whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour. If you don’t have whole wheat flour, you can use all all-purpose flour, but I like the wholesomeness the whole wheat flour adds. The muffins are filled with chunks of tart Granny Smith apples and have a sweet and buttery cinnamon crumb topping. The muffins whip up in no time, you don’t even have to get out the mixer. Just use your muscles to mix up these muffins up. Bonus-you are getting a mini workout by stirring the muffins so you can eat more:)

If you are looking for a special breakfast treat to enjoy on your day off, make these Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins. They are perfect with a cup of coffee, tea, or a chilled glass of milk. And if you slept in and missed breakfast-good for you. You can still make these muffins because they are good anytime of the day.

Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins on twopeasandtheirpod.com #recipe

Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins

Yield: 12 regular size muffins

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Spiced apple muffins with a sweet and buttery cinnamon crumb topping. These muffins are easy to make and are great for breakfast or snack time.

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground all-spice
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups diced peeled apples (I use Granny Smith)

For the Topping:
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons melted butter

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and all-spice. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined. Do not over mix. Add in the apples and stir until just combined.

3. To make the crumb topping, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and melted butter. Mix with a spoon until crumbly.

3. Fill the prepared muffin pan with muffin batter, filling each cup about 3/4 the way full. Sprinkle each muffin with crumb topping. Bake for 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool to room temperature and serve.

If you like these Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins, you might also like:

97 Responses to “Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins”

marla {family fresh cooking} — February 20, 2012 @ 10:43 pm

Such a great way to start the day ~ loving up these muffins :)

Cookin' Canuck — February 20, 2012 @ 11:24 pm

I adore anything with a crumb topping and love that these have a nice mixture of whole wheat flour in them.

Krissy's Creations — February 21, 2012 @ 1:01 am

These muffins really are calling my name! I love the crumble on top. I’m totally craving Apple Muffins now :)

Linda — February 21, 2012 @ 6:18 am

Do you think dried apples would work in these. I have a bunch I need to use. Thanks

• Two Peas replied: — February 21st, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

I haven’t tried dried apples, but I am sure they would be fine. Let me know if you try it!

Audra@The-Baker-Chick — February 21, 2012 @ 9:59 am

Ooh these muffins look divine!

naomi — February 21, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

You are right, Maria, my son will love making this with me! It looks and sound delicious.

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — February 22, 2012 @ 9:34 am

Yum! I hide muffins in my freezer, my favorite every day breakfast. These look delicious.

Victoria V — February 22, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

I just made these and they are so yummy!! Thanks for the wonderful recipe! :)

• Two Peas replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 9:01 pm

You are welcome!

9. Pingback: Eating your HTML. « cheapyounghome

nicole {sweet peony} — February 23, 2012 @ 8:16 pm

I made these muffins with a similar recipe and they were fantastic! I’m sure your addition of buttermilk only made them better!! And the crumb topping totally makes these muffins… so good :)

11. Pingback: Sample Saturday | Homekeeping Adventures

12. Pingback: Saturday Spotlight: 2/19-2/25 @ Heatherisms

Skylar — March 1, 2012 @ 5:53 pm

I made these the other day for my family and they were a big hit!

• Two Peas replied: — March 2nd, 2012 @ 10:54 am

Glad the muffins were a hit!

14. Pingback: Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins | Hoping in God

15. Pingback: Obsessions | Little Red Delicious

Season — April 8, 2012 @ 2:52 am

holy cow, these are delicious. I am savoring one as I right this. Great recipe!

• Two Peas replied: — April 8th, 2012 @ 9:19 am

I love those muffins! Glad you like them too!

Season — April 8, 2012 @ 2:53 am

and by right I mean **write

Nicki — April 24, 2012 @ 9:09 pm

Will it affect the flavor or consistency at all if I prepare the mixture a day in advance, leave it in the fridge overnight, then actually do the baking the next day?

• Two Peas replied: — April 24th, 2012 @ 11:19 pm

I haven’t tried keeping the batter in the fridge. I have made them a day in advance and they still taste good the next day.

Mimi — May 26, 2012 @ 10:58 am

When I bake these (which is very often btw), they always stick to the paper liners and removing the liners is often messy…do you have any idea why?

20. Pingback: Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins

Terri — August 31, 2012 @ 11:12 am

As I’m getting ready to make these muffins for the 2nd time, I just want to let you know how much I love this recipe! It’s now a permanent addition to my muffin recipe rotation. Thank you!

22. Pingback: » Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins Brownies and Zucchini

ShanelF — September 17, 2012 @ 10:17 pm

These were delish!!! I did, however, make a few substitutions. I did not have any buttermilk, so I used whole instead. I doubled the amount of apples, all spice, cinnamon and added some pumpkin pie spice (about 1-2 tbsp). I also had some toasted almonds and walnuts left over from a previous recipe, so I added those in as well. I would suggest making more of the streusel–mine ran out too soon–so next time I’ll probably double it. All in all…..yummy!

Min — September 19, 2012 @ 10:12 am

Just made 22 of these yesterday afternoon with my 3 year old using our freshly picked apples – they’re all gone! Definitely a thumbs up! Moist and apple favors that pop! I’m gonna try adding some plumped golden raisins. Thanks for the recipe that works!

Maggie @ kitchie coo — September 19, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

Just made these last night with some leftover pie apples and they were AMAZING!! I will be keeping this recipe around forever. So quick and easy to make and delicious for breakfast this morning. Thank you!!

Hannah — September 21, 2012 @ 12:42 am

Just made these and….THEY ARE FANTASTIC. Seriously. My friends are so impressed with me, but I am giving all credit to the recipe! I doubled the recipe and had enough for 24 muffins and an 8×8 loaf pan. The crumb topping is to-die-for. I also chopped my apples very small so the kind of blended right in. I am so happy with the way they turned out- moist, delicious, and so flavorful! Definitely on my list of favorites from now on. Thanks!

27. Pingback: Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Alicia — September 26, 2012 @ 8:23 am

Can I use milk in place of buttermilk? And can I use vegetable oil in place of canola oil? Only because that’s what I usually have on hand.

Jennifer — September 28, 2012 @ 6:38 pm

Got these in the oven right now hoping to cheer myself up! And some other people too ;)

Jennifer — September 28, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

Alicia-you can use veg oil just fine in place of canola. I would still suggest just making buttermilk if you dont have any. Take one TBSP of white vinegar or one TBSP of lemon juice put in liquid measuring cup. Then pour your milk up to the 1 cup line. Let sit a couple minutes. Walah! You have buttermilk!

Natalie — October 12, 2012 @ 11:16 am

These are in the oven as I type, and they smell divine!!!

Natalie — October 12, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

Okay, I’m finished. They are D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!!!!!! I will definitely make these again. The hard part will be not eating 11 more of them before my hubby gets home from work…

toodles to the noodles — October 20, 2012 @ 11:43 am

Great blog. I will be following you two. Thanks !

34. Pingback: Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins | The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie

35. Pingback: Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins

Desiree — October 29, 2012 @ 9:47 pm

Made these for my coworkers and they were gone by 9am!!! Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

37. Pingback: in season: 48 apple recipes | Café Zupas

Heather — November 5, 2012 @ 6:04 pm

Thank you SOOOOO much for sharing this recipe. I didn’t have buttermilk on hand so used almond milk and some lemon juice but they still turned out wonderfully. My husband and I were eating them warm out of the oven and about fell over with delight. :) I’ll be making these very often. Thanks again!!!!

Nat — November 21, 2012 @ 10:54 pm

I made this with water instead of buttermilk, and peanut oil instead of canola, and I also used 3 apples (to hell with measuring). 1 granny smith, 1 golden delicious, and 1 mack.
    I totally botched the crumble, but, it’s all good. the gooey sugar mess on top turned out pretty good.

Also, this made WAAAY more than 12 muffins for me. I put the excess in a small casserole and made a mini loaf out of it. All in all, Great success! Thanks!