Apple Cinnamon Crumble

Happy Thanksgiving week! The countdown is on! Are you ready for the big day? I finally decided on our menu. Whew. I am glad that is done. Now, we just have to buy the groceries and make everything. No biggie. We are keeping it simple this year since we are hosting a small group.

Josh is making a rotisserie turkey in our Thermador oven. We will also have salad, sourdough stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry orange sauce, roasted vegetables, potato rolls, and Apple Cinnamon Crumble for dessert. That’s right, no pumpkin pie. Gasp! I love pumpkin, you know that, but not in pie form. It’s a texture thing. Instead, we will be enjoying Apple Cinnamon Crumble with vanilla ice cream. Happy Thanksgiving to us!

I made this Apple Cinnamon Crumble when we were in Illinois. Everyone loved it, including myself, so I thought why not make it for Turkey Day? It’s such an easy dessert, which is important since we will have a lot going on in the kitchen. And I don’t really do pie crusts. This summer, I did master a beautiful peach pie, but I don’t want to stress out on Thanksgiving. I want to keep things easy peasy.

You can’t mess up this Apple Cinnamon Crumble. You combine sliced apples with fresh lemon juice, vanilla, sugar, Gold Medal flour, and cinnamon. Next, you make a cinnamon oat topping that contains a healthy portion of butter. It’s Thanksgiving so it’s ok to splurge. Plus, I consider this dessert healthy with all of the apples and oats. The Dr. never said the apple a day couldn’t come in the form of Apple Cinnamon Crumble:)

I combined everything in a large skillet. If you don’t have a skillet, you can use a baking dish. I like the rustic look of the skillet though:) Bake until bubbly and serve warm, preferably with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Add this Apple Cinnamon Crumble to your Thanksgiving menu-even if you are making a million pies. You can never have too many desserts on Thanksgiving! That is why I am still thinking about adding Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars to the menu too. For round 2 of dessert:)

Apple Cinnamon Crumble

Yield: Serves 8-10

Cook Time: 40-45 minutes

Total Time: 60 minutes

Cinnamon-spiced apples are baked with a sweet brown sugar oat crumble topping in this simple dessert. It's great served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

8 cups peeled, cored, and sliced apples
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup all-purpose Gold Medal Flour

For the crumble topping:

1 cup all-purpose Gold Medal Flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Gently toss until apples are well coated. Let the apple mixture sit while you prepare the crumble topping.

3. For the crumble topping: in a large bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Stir together with a whisk. Mix in the butter with your fingers until the mixture comes together and you have big crumbles.

4. Place the apple mixture in a 12 inch skillet. Sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly over the apples. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the crumbly is browned and bubbling. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Note-you can make the crumble in a large baking dish or individual ramekins. You can also make the crumble ahead of time-just store the unbaked crumble in the refrigerator and bake when ready! Store the crumble in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

If you like this Apple Cinnamon Crumble, you might also like:

This post is in partnership with Gold Medal Flour, but our opinions are our own. We love Gold Medal Flour. Check out our Farm to Table Event in Kansas City with Gold Medal Flour.

71 Responses to “Apple Cinnamon Crumble”

Carlas Confections — November 20, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

Oh goodness! Not sure this could look any better… second guessing my dessert choices haha. This looks amaizng :D

LORI — November 20, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

I LOVE YOUR FOOD BLOG AND THIS RECIPE SOUNDS GREAT!! COULD YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT BRAND THE RED CAST IRON SKILLET IS? I’VE BEEN LOOKING FOR A GOOD ONE!!! THANKS

Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron — November 20, 2012 @ 3:17 pm

Looks very good! I love apples and oats combined!

I’m not a big pie person, but I love a crumble! It’s my dessert of choice at Thanksgiving. Yours looks delicious!

Erinerin — November 21, 2012 @ 11:23 am

How thick do you slice the apples? Can I cube hem instead?

LORI — November 21, 2012 @ 11:50 pm

Hello!!! I’m very interested in knowing the Brand of your special red cast iron pan??? Please help…. that all I’ve asked for Christmas!! Thanks for your response!!

Diana @ Eating Made Easy — November 26, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

Will put this on my menu for Xmas dinner. It’s been so long since I’ve had apple crisp. Thanks for the recipe.

Jessica — November 27, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

I just wanted to let you know I made this for Thanksgiving… and it was a major HIT! Thank you for the delicious recipe! Its now my absolute favorite! :)

• Two Peas replied: — November 27th, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

It is my favorite too! Glad you liked it!

9. Pingback: Warm Apple Crumble » Little Bites of Everything

10. Pingback: Le Creuset Giveaway | Le Creuset | Two Peas & Their Pod

Rainey — December 7, 2012 @ 10:43 pm

What would be a good cinnamon substitute? My husband is allergic.

Amanda — December 21, 2012 @ 5:06 pm

I made this for a family holiday dinner this week. This was everything an apple crumble should be! EVERYTHING!! Perfect flavor. And the crumble part…to die for!! Made it in my cast iron skille. Prepared it, put it in skillet, and took it over to family friend’s house. Right after dinner, we put it in the oven, baked it, and hot dessert with caramel drizzled on top with ice cream. This recipe is a definite keeper!!

Sarah — March 10, 2013 @ 8:09 am

My 4 year old and I baked this together today and it was absolutely gorgeous. She loved “tickling” all of the ingredients together with her hands for the crumble. Thanks for sharing!

Rachel — June 26, 2013 @ 7:05 am

Would you adjust the baking time if you were making the crumble in ramekins?

15. Pingback: {An Apple a Day} Apple Recipes & Crafts - Somewhat Simple

16. Pingback: Apple Crumble and Weekend Tidbits. «

karen — September 18, 2013 @ 8:25 am

I love ur recipes their so easy & the ingredients r simple. Not some ingredients that you’ve never heard of before.

18. Pingback: DessertsSweet Inspiration for Fall

19. Pingback: 13 Days of Thanksgiving Day 5 - Desserts Part 1

Cameron Benedetto — November 12, 2013 @ 5:15 pm

If I were to halve this recipe, would the baking time be the same?

21. Pingback: Apples, Apples and more Apples… | {Unconventional} Cakery

22. Pingback: 13 Days of Thanksgiving Day 7 - Desserts Part 2

23. Pingback: 20 Amazing Thanksgiving Recipes!!

24. Pingback: Apple Cinnamon Crumble!

25. Pingback: Apple Cinnamon Crumble!

Angie — April 7, 2014 @ 6:08 pm

Absolutely LOVED this recipe. I made it on Sunday and by Monday evening it had disappeared. I did however modify it slightly. I am a fierce proponent of healthy eating and leading an active lifestyle but I love to indulge my sweet tooth and in this instance I combined a great pie crust recipe with your crumble. I happened to have a frozen pâte brisée in my freezer (Marth Stewart recipe) and used it as the pie crust and then added to crumb to the cover the apples. I also added raisins to the apples – amazing! I will also be making this without pie crust as this recipe is definitely my go-to apple crumble!

Thanks,