Apple Toffee Galette
We love serving traditional Thanksgiving foods at our table, but every year I have to try a few new recipes to add to the spread. I love a good piece of pie, but if I had a choice, I would choose a piece of galette any day. I prefer the “rustic pie.” I recently made this Apple Toffee galette and fell in love. It is going to be a great addition to our holiday dessert table.
Galette dough is simple to make and very forgiving. We make this dough in our food processor. It takes about five minutes to make and can be made a few days in advance, which is perfect for Thanksgiving. Just store the dough in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
For this recipe, we started with apple slices and sprinkled them with McCormick cinnamon and sugar. We evenly placed the apple slices on the galette dough and sprinkled Heath milk chocolate toffee bits on top. If you can’t find the toffee bits, you can use chopped up Heath bars, both work great. We gently folded the galette dough around the apples and toffee and sprinkled the outer crust with turbinado sugar for extra crunch.
The toffee bits melted over the apples while baking creating the most divine galette. Tender sweet apples with melted toffee and chocolate in a galette crust is my idea of a fabulous dessert. I knew we had to serve this at our Thanksgiving feast after taking one bite. This recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser. You can serve it plain, but why not add a scoop of vanilla ice cream? It is Thanksgiving, so you are allowed to go all out, especially when it comes to dessert.
If you are stressing about making pies this Thanksgiving, stress no more. Make an Apple Toffee Galette. This rustic pie is easy to make and will wow your guests!
For helpful Thanksgiving tips and recipes, visit McCormick’s Facebook page for the “Countdown to Feast Day.” The “Countdown to Feast Day” will guide you through the meal’s most essential elements with a series of weekly themes: Spectacular Sides, Let’s Talk Turkey, Save Room for Pie! and It’s All Gravy.
Apple Toffee Galette
Yield: 1 galette, serves 8
Cook Time: 45-50 minutes
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup coarse cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 large Granny Smith apples, thinly sliced
Cinnamon and sugar, for sprinkling on the apple slices
1 cup Heath milk chocolate toffee bits or chopped Heath candy bars
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
1. To make the dough, combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, and salt in a processor; pulse 2-3 times. Add butter and pulse 4-5 times, or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With the processor running, slowing pour the buttermilk through the chute, processing until the dough forms a ball. Remove the dough ball and adhere any remaining pieces of dough to it, then wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before rolling out.
2. Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
3. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on a sheet of parchment paper. Starting at the center of the dough, roll out, forming a 14-15-inch wide circle. Place the dough with parchment paper on a baking sheet. Generously sprinkle apple slices with cinnamon and sugar. Arrange apple slices in a spoke pattern on the galette dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Sprinkle the toffee bits over the apple slices, making sure all of the slices are covered. Fold the border over the apples, overlapping where necessary and pressing gently to adhere the folds.
4. Lightly brush the edge of the dough with the egg and sprinkle crust with turbinado sugar.
5. Bake the galette for 45-50 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the crust is golden brown. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool for at least 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*Note-you can make the galette dough in advance. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like this Apple Toffee Galette, you might also like: