Avocado Ice Cream

Cinco de Mayo is on Thursday and if you are looking for a delicious dessert to serve, try Avocado Ice Cream. Yes, you heard me right, Avocado Ice Cream. You might think avocados don’t belong in ice cream, but let me reassure you, this ice cream is fantastic.

I adore avocados. I love guacamole, avocado sandwiches, adding avocado slices to my favorite Mexican dishes, and I even eat them plain. There is nothing better than slicing into a ripe avocado, sprinkling it with salt, and scooping out the fruit with a spoon. Pure bliss. I knew I would love avocado ice cream. It is rich, smooth, and creamy. Josh was a little skeptical, but after one bite, he was sold.

This avocado ice cream recipe is super simple to make. We put all of the ingredients in our Blendtec blender and blended until smooth. Next, we added the avocado mixture to our ice cream maker and let it do the rest of the work. We really didn’t do any of the work-thank you appliances!

The ice cream is really soft after it is done churning, but so delicious. I love soft ice cream. If you prefer firm ice cream, put it in the freezer for a couple of hours before serving.

If you are celebrating Cinco de Mayo on May 5th-make Avocado Ice Cream. It is the perfect dessert for the occasion!

We used California Avocados Direct avocados for this recipe. They seriously are the BEST avocados I have ever tasted. They are amazing! If you don’t live in CA, don’t worry, neither do we. You can have a box shipped to your house! The avocados are hand picked , hand packed, and delivered straight from the farm. Talk about service! For more information, visit their website.

California Avocados Direct sent us a free box of avocados, but our opinions are our own. We love them!

Avocado Ice Cream

Yield: 1 quart ice cream

3 medium ripe avocados
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
Pinch of salt

1. Slice open the avocados, remove the pits, and scoop out the flesh. Put the avocados in a blender of food processor. Add the sugar, sour cream, heavy cream, lime juice, and salt. Blend until smooth.

2. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. If you like soft ice cream, go ahead and eat. If you like firmer ice cream, store in the freezer for a couple of hours before serving.

Recipe from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

If you like this Avocado Ice Cream, you might also like:

Guacamole Ice Cream from Elle’s New England Kitchen
Tropical No Dairy Avocado Ice Cream from My Man’s Belly
Avocado Coconut Ice Cream from Evan’s Kitchen Ramblings

125 Responses to “Avocado Ice Cream”

Feast on the Cheap — May 2, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

Hmmm, at first I thought maybe this was the result of a pregnancy craving, but I think you’ve sold me.

Tracy — May 2, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

Sounds perfectly creamy and delicious! I would love this!

Mo'Betta — May 2, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

You’re supposed to be eating pickles and ice cream, but this works too ;) Avocado is so creamy, I bet this was good!

Bridgett — May 2, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

Does it take on the earthy avocado flavor or does it just provide the creamy texture and color?

• twopeas replied: — May 2nd, 2011 @ 5:04 pm

You can taste the avocado and the ice cream is very creamy!

My Man's Belly — May 2, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

Thanks for linking to my recipe! Jealous of your blender. :)

Avocado is very high in potassium…higher than bananas! As my 90 year old mom recuperates from surgery, ice cream is one of her favorite foods…but avocado ice cream would be the answer to a dietary concern too! Thank you for featuring our avocados, and thank you for this delicious and healthy recipe!

• twopeas replied: — May 2nd, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

Thank you! We are in love with California Avocados Direct. Best wishes for your mom’s recovery.

megan — May 2, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

This would be a fun dessert for Cinco de Mayo of with any Mexican dinner!

Toni Cronin — May 2, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

Can’t wait to try this – thanks!

love this one Maria! Thanks for checking on me during the storms!

Allison [Haute Box] — May 2, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

I love the color!!

Pam — May 2, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

I’ve never eaten avocado as a dessert… you have me intrigued!

Fuji Mama — May 2, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

This looks beyond divine Maria! One of my favorite treats is an avocado sweetened condensed milk smoothie, so I know I’ll love avocado ice cream!

Kelly — May 2, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

Just stumbled upon your blog and all I have to say is yum, I am definitely adding you to the RSS feeder thanks to this recipe. So creative and if I had a bounty to use, I’m sure avocado ice cream would be on the list too!

Amanda — May 2, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

I had to do a double take on this one. Avocado ice cream? But if you say it’s good, I’ll try it! Especially since my appliances are going to do all the work. :)

grace — May 2, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

with that gentle green hue and subtle flavor, this is bound to be an outstanding batch of ice cream! it makes me long for an ice cream maker, that’s for sure. :)

Bring on the avocados! That looks delicious and I would just want to dive right into it. Smooth and creamy! Yum.

fooddreamer — May 3, 2011 @ 4:30 am

Love avocados, love ice cream, what’s not to love here?

Rosie @ Sweetapolita — May 3, 2011 @ 7:46 am

This looks so rich & yummy! I would have loved this during either one of my pregnancies, actually–I was craving & eating an avocado everyday! Gorgeous treat, Maria!

I love avocados. This looks so creamy and delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious — May 3, 2011 @ 10:07 am

Why don’t I have an ice cream maker??? I love avocados and this recipe makes me want to run out to buy an ice cream maker today! Looks divine.

What an interesting flavor! Love this ice cream and I’d love to make it if I didn’t make a guacamole out of all the avocados first!

Krista — May 3, 2011 @ 11:46 am

My husband wants to try this. How long will the ice cream be good? Will it turn brown?

• twopeas replied: — May 3rd, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

It will keep in the freezer for a few weeks. Ours didn’t turn brown.

Weekend Cowgirl — May 3, 2011 @ 11:55 am

I am soooo trying this!!!

I’m all for unique flavors of ice cream! This sounds great!!

Cookin' Canuck — May 3, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

I absolutely adore avocado ice cream and this looks like the perfect way to end a Cinco de Mayo feast.

Kristina — May 3, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

Looks great!…wonder if I can get paint that color…

Lora @cakeduchess — May 3, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

This ice cream is a great idea for Cinco de Mayor or any warm spring or summer day. So refreshing:)

Lindsey@Lindselicious — May 3, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

Oooh what perfect timing. I was wanting to make avocado ice cream after I had a spicy avocado ice cream at dinner the other week. Especially love it for Cinco de Mayo.

29. Pingback:   Next Android 2.4 Version almost confirmed as Ice Cream Sandwich. Coming in next week I/O?|Dryblog28

30. Pingback: Vegan Avocado Scones Recipe: Healthy, Gluten Free, Low Fat Breakfast — Family Fresh Cooking

laura — May 4, 2011 @ 6:19 am

incase anyone is interested in a vegan recipe for a very similar treat, check this out: http://cookmarked.com/recipe.aspx?eID=0ZQnkVryTxYl5dd2Vdppp6Row2bEPiYYoYqFqstnPI8e . the addition of lemon juice and pistachios is really awesome!

32. Pingback: Bites from other Blogs | mybaking.info

33. Pingback: Bites from other Blogs | Cooking news and good cooking practices

34. Pingback: cinco de mayo recipe roundup — Eat, Live, Run

Sara @ Our Best Bites — May 5, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

This takes me back to my mission in Brazil. I ate lots of avocado ice cream (and corn ice cream too!)

Robyn — May 6, 2011 @ 9:01 am

We made this along with your cilantro lime rice last night for Cinco de Mayo and threw together some burrito bowls. Everything was fantastic! No leftovers. Thanks for the great recipes!

Jenne — May 6, 2011 @ 10:00 am

I love avocados! Just added you on twitter and put you in my RSS reader :)

• twopeas replied: — May 9th, 2011 @ 7:57 am

Thank you!

I LOVE avocados and I LOVE ice cream….this sounds incredible!

Tara — May 6, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

Ooh…I want to try this but I’m off sugar. Do you think I could substitute honey for the sugar?

• twopeas replied: — May 9th, 2011 @ 7:56 am

Yes! Enjoy!

Zita — May 7, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Can I just say WOOW! I love avocado. I cooked soup from it, baked cake from it with chocolate but this ice cream is a new recipe for me. I will definitely try it!