Avocado Ice Cream

Cinco de Mayo is on Thursday and if you are looking for a delicious dessert to serve, try Avocado Ice Cream. Yes, you heard me right, Avocado Ice Cream. You might think avocados don’t belong in ice cream, but let me reassure you, this ice cream is fantastic.

I adore avocados. I love guacamole, avocado sandwiches, adding avocado slices to my favorite Mexican dishes, and I even eat them plain. There is nothing better than slicing into a ripe avocado, sprinkling it with salt, and scooping out the fruit with a spoon. Pure bliss. I knew I would love avocado ice cream. It is rich, smooth, and creamy. Josh was a little skeptical, but after one bite, he was sold.

This avocado ice cream recipe is super simple to make. We put all of the ingredients in our Blendtec blender and blended until smooth. Next, we added the avocado mixture to our ice cream maker and let it do the rest of the work. We really didn’t do any of the work-thank you appliances!

The ice cream is really soft after it is done churning, but so delicious. I love soft ice cream. If you prefer firm ice cream, put it in the freezer for a couple of hours before serving.

If you are celebrating Cinco de Mayo on May 5th-make Avocado Ice Cream. It is the perfect dessert for the occasion!

We used California Avocados Direct avocados for this recipe. They seriously are the BEST avocados I have ever tasted. They are amazing! If you don’t live in CA, don’t worry, neither do we. You can have a box shipped to your house! The avocados are hand picked , hand packed, and delivered straight from the farm. Talk about service! For more information, visit their website.

California Avocados Direct sent us a free box of avocados, but our opinions are our own. We love them!

Avocado Ice Cream

Yield: 1 quart ice cream

3 medium ripe avocados
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
Pinch of salt

1. Slice open the avocados, remove the pits, and scoop out the flesh. Put the avocados in a blender of food processor. Add the sugar, sour cream, heavy cream, lime juice, and salt. Blend until smooth.

2. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. If you like soft ice cream, go ahead and eat. If you like firmer ice cream, store in the freezer for a couple of hours before serving.

Recipe from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

If you like this Avocado Ice Cream, you might also like:

Guacamole Ice Cream from Elle’s New England Kitchen
Tropical No Dairy Avocado Ice Cream from My Man’s Belly
Avocado Coconut Ice Cream from Evan’s Kitchen Ramblings

119 Responses to “Avocado Ice Cream”

Maria — May 8, 2011 @ 11:30 am

This intrigued me the moment I saw it. I had a bag of frozen avocados in the freezer and used it this morning to make the ice cream. Delicious! Who would have thought? I’m having a Mexican food themed party next week and will serve this for dessert. However, I won’t reveal the secret ingredient until everyone finishes…hee hee… Thanks for the links to other similar recipes, too. Some of them sound mighty tasty.

Dina — May 8, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

i always wanted to try this. looks good.

oh this looks great! i just got an ice cream maker so i’m looking for all sorts of recipes and this is going on the list!!

Marissa — May 31, 2011 @ 6:00 pm

when i was little, we used to eat avocados (slightly mashed) with milk and sugar. it sounds weird to so many people but it’s really so yummy. avocado ice cream is just awesome!

5. Pingback: sugarcoatedbliss.com » Blog Archive » quick summer treat

Irene — June 10, 2011 @ 11:01 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe. Avocado ice cream is very popular in the Philippines where my dad is from. I can find it in some Asian grocery stores but I’ve always wanted to make my own. Can’t wait to try it!

7. Pingback: Hass Avocado Recipe Contest | Nutmeg Nanny

8. Pingback: #NYE | seasonsharvest

Helga — February 11, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

I surprised my gramy with avocado ice cream, and she really loved it.

10. Pingback: Avocados Ain’t the Pits! | San Antonio Fit Club

Maria — May 8, 2012 @ 2:55 pm

Mmmm… avocado. I eat it straight from the skin too! I like a sprinkling of garlic powder with mine though. :) I’m wondering… how hard would it be to make this into chocolate ice cream? Maybe just adding cocoa powder?

• Two Peas replied: — May 8th, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

I haven’t tried chocolate, but adding cocoa powder should work! I will have to try it!

12. Pingback: Avocado Peach Smoothie « thepolkadotrobot

Kendall Peak — June 5, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

Never would’ve thought to make ice cream flavored by avocados and sour cream. This sounds really good though. I was wondering if adding some vanilla extract to this would be a good or bad choice? I don’t want to ruin my first batch if you think it wouldn’t be good. Any thoughts?

14. Pingback: Delicious Links!

Marion in Savannah — July 8, 2012 @ 10:41 am

This is amazing! I’ve just made my first batch, and we’re hooked. Rich avocado flavor, just a hint of sweetness, and that glorious color. This recipe is going straight into my “favorites” cookbook. Thanks for posting it. I would have NEVER come up with avocado ice cream on my own, but as long as I can get my hands on ripe avocados this will be in my freezer!

WOW! Definitely going to make this!! Thanks so much for the recipe – and the avocado recommendation!!

17. Pingback: Avocadojäätelö : Gurmee

SURA — July 31, 2012 @ 8:56 pm

I make Avocado ice cream often. Throw a scoop of it on a bowl of Gazpacho and it will put you over the edge!

Monica Nogueira — August 27, 2012 @ 10:06 pm

Dear friends and ice cream lovers
    I’m from Brazil and over there avocado is a desert fruit. We eat them with sugar and drops of lemon juice, ice creams and milk shake as well. Interesting was to find in Canada, where my family and I live for more than a decade, that people eat it in salads! I’m very glad that you liked the ice cream, it reminds me my childhood.Thank you for sharing it!

20. Pingback: Nutella Cookies (made with love) | Thoughtfully Simple

21. Pingback: Avocado galore: Ode aan de avocado - Watzijzegt.com

22. Pingback: The Weekend Dish: 5/7/2011 | Brown Eyed Baker

23. Pingback: Super Food: Avocado « BeachyBrunette

24. Pingback: Nutmeg Nanny » Avocado Love!

Jennifer — March 14, 2013 @ 7:22 pm

In the Philippines, we eat avocados in a sweet, not savory way (in puddings, smoothies, ice cream, etc.), so when we moved to the U.S. and I saw guacamole for the first time, I went, “Eww, why would anyone ever eat avocado like THAT??” In time, I learned to love avocado in savory foods too, but eating it in sweets like this just takes me back to my childhood in a straight shot :).

26. Pingback: Creamy Avocado Yogurt Dip Recipe | Avocado Dip Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

27. Pingback: Lunchtip: Avocado op brood - Wat zij zegt

28. Pingback: Avocado Ice-Cream Recipe - Refreshing The Home

Les — May 12, 2013 @ 11:48 pm

I made this for my mother-in-law as a Mother’s Day gift. She loves avocado, and she loved this ice cream. I added about 2 tbsp. water to the blender to help it purée better.

30. Pingback: 5 Unusual Ways to Eat An Avocado | Shecky's

Amanda — June 27, 2013 @ 8:24 pm

So, I didn’t have all the ingredients, and I don’t have an ice cream maker… and I live alone. I took one avocado, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup whole milk, a dash of salt and lime juice, and two ice cubes. I put everything in my Blendtec and hit the “icew cream” button. I ended up with a soft, fluffy, smooth avocado…. pudding, perhaps? It was really delicious!

32. Pingback: Ice cream and Avocados! | Top of the Guac