Banana-Nut Oat Bran Muffins

Banana-Nut Oat Bran Muffins

Today we have a special treat, a guest post from my dear blogging friend, Michelle, of Brown Eyed Baker. If you don’t already follow her delicious blog, check it out. You will be hooked! Thanks Michelle for being our first guest post ever and sharing your banana-nut oat bran muffin recipe. Enjoy friends!

I want to thank Maria for inviting me to do a guest post over here on Two Peas and Their Pod. Maria has become a great friend and is one of the kindest bloggers I’ve ever met. As far as food goes, I feel like we’re perfect complements –  I stuff myself full of sugar, chocolate and peanut butter and she pulls me back from the edge with awesome recipes like edamame guacamole, zucchini cookies, and bright melon salads. And she definitely cemented a place in my heart with her Fluffernutter Cookies. I love the style of her blog, the simple and mouth-watering recipes she creates, and I especially love that her and her husband have such a great time in the kitchen together!

When Maria asked me to do a post over here I asked if she had any specific type of recipe in mind. She said I could choose whatever I wanted, and so I did some brainstorming. I ended up choosing a recipe that pays homage to Maria’s healthy lifestyle and to my baking roots: Banana-Nut Oat Bran Muffins.

These muffins were the very first thing that I ever helped to bake in the kitchen. Back when I was in elementary school my dad was told he had slightly high cholesterol and that he could improve it through diet. My mom received this recipe from my aunt, who had been making these muffins for my uncle, who had previously suffered a heart attack. I’m not sure where the recipe originally came from, but they soon became a weekly staple at our house. Every Sunday night my mom would make a batch, and let me help with the mixing. They are so easy that after awhile I had the recipe almost memorized myself! This was also the recipe that enabled me to learn how to separate eggs. Thanks to my mom for teaching me, it has certainly come in handy with all of the egg yolks I use when making homemade ice cream!

Like almost all muffins, these are very quick to get together and get baked; we’re talking mixed, baked and out of the oven in 30 minutes. It’s hard to beat that! You’ll notice that the batter is very thin once it’s mixed together, but that’s okay – the oat bran soaks up a lot of that in the baking process and keeps the muffins nice and moist.

The original recipe calls for corn syrup, which I have substituted with agave nectar and you could also use honey. These muffins lend themselves well to a lot of adaptations – I like to add some cinnamon, you can switch up the nuts, add some dried fruit, etc. It’s a great base recipe for letting your creative juices flow. My dad, who was a faithful devotee to Snickers and ice cream (I think we all know where I got my palate from!), loved these so much that even after his cholesterol returned to normal he still requested that my mom make them. I hope you enjoy them as much as he did!

Thanks again to Maria and Josh for allowing me to share this old family recipe with you, I hope you enjoy it!

Banana-Nut Oat Bran Muffins

Yield: 12 muffins

Cook Time: 12-15 minutes

2-1/4 cups oat bran
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
2 bananas, mashed
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper cups.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the oat bran, baking powder and brown sugar. In a separate medium bowl, mix together the milk, mashed bananas, egg whites and agave nectar.

3. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Fold in the walnuts. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups. Bake until the muffins are lightly browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 12 to 15 minutes.

4. Cool the muffins in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Serve at room temperature or reheat in the microwave and top with your favorite jam, butter or even peanut butter.

If you like these banana muffins, you might also like:

Banana Cinnamon Chip Cake from Two Peas and Their Pod
Banana Fosters Bread from Brown Eyed Baker
Banana Nut Muffins from Simply Recipes

60 Responses to “Banana-Nut Oat Bran Muffins”

Bev Scherdin — September 3, 2012 @ 9:37 am

In making these today I noticed that the comments before the recipe said it would be very wet. From what? When I mixed them the batter was extremely dry. I read and re-read the ingredients and I cannot see how 2 bananas, 2 T. honey and 2 egg whites would be enough wet ingredients for all that oat bran. I did add 1/3 c. applesauce which helped somewhat, but they were still very dry. Is the recipe correct? Thank you.

stephanie — February 10, 2013 @ 10:47 am

Bad recipe . Very thick and dry. Please ask Michelle to repost with accurate measurements or step by step pictures. No milk? No water? THIS WAS NOT THIN!

• Two Peas replied: — May 13th, 2013 @ 10:05 pm

Michelle realized she did leave out the milk. I am so sorry! The recipe is now updated!

heidi foster — March 2, 2013 @ 11:45 am

I was looking for an oatbran, banana recipe with sour cream. This one was close, so I altered it as follows and it is great… I used dark brown sugar, 3 mashed bananas, 2 eggs (yolks included), in place of honey, I used 2 heaping tablespoons of non-fat sour cream, I added: tablespoon or two of maple syrup, one tsp of cinnamon and one tsp of vanilla extract. I made a loaf instead of muffins, using a buttered loaf pan. I cooked for 15 minutes at 425 degrees and then lowered temp to 350 and cooked an additional 20-25 minutes, until the knife came out clean when inserted in center. Thanks for the recipe!

Jennifer — April 14, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

I am a very experienced baker, particularly with quickbreads of all kinds. As others who have ACTUALLY made this recipe have commented, the ingredients listed give a VERY thick batter that is closer to a wet drop-biscuit or cookie dough batter consistency. I see that Michelle is still active on her blog, so why doesn’t she please address this issue here with her recipe? I had successful results only by adding 1/3 c applesauce, 1/3 c milk, and 1 egg to the recipe.

• Two Peas replied: — May 13th, 2013 @ 10:02 pm

Ok, I finally got ahold of Michelle. She feels so bad, but there is supposed to be 1 1/4 cups milk in the recipe. I updated the recipe! Sorry for the confusion!

Anita — April 22, 2013 @ 10:01 am

This was very dry. Does seem like it is missing something. What is the calorie count?

• Two Peas replied: — May 13th, 2013 @ 10:04 pm

Michelle left out 1 1/4 cups milk. I am so sorry for any trouble it caused! The recipe is now updated!

Miriam — May 11, 2013 @ 12:37 pm

Like others who tried to make these muffins, I found the batter a far cry from thin/wet, and had to go rogue on the recipe. Here are the modifications that I made that seemed to yield a workable batter and a somewhat decent muffin in the end:

Crucially – I added 1 cup applesauce, and 1/4 cup canola oil to thin out the batter. I might add a bit more of one or the other in future, as I barely got to 12 muffins with these additions. (Also, I’ll probably try coconut oil instead of canola next time. This time, honestly I just grabbed whatever was handy to try and salvage the recipe.)

I also subbed 1/4 cup all purpose flour for 1/4 cup of the oat bran–I thought that this might make the muffins a bit smoother, and it did.

Finally, I added approximately 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1.5 teaspoons of cinnamon.

Other possibilities – milk as some folks have suggested? Yogurt? Has anyone had success with other kinds of modifications? It would be great if Maria would respond with the corrected recipe or maybe with some comment about what may be going wrong?

• Two Peas replied: — May 13th, 2013 @ 10:03 pm

Hi Miriam-I finally got an email from Michelle. She feels really bad but she realized she left out 1 1/4 cups milk. I updated the recipe. Sorry for the confusion!

Allene — June 24, 2013 @ 8:27 am

Hi. I noticed that milk is now listed in the recipe. It wasn’t there the last time I tried this, as some others also commented. But I still don’t like the recipe. I’m missing the salt! I suppose thats because they’re supposed to be healthy.

8. Pingback: Banana Nut Oat Bran Muffins | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

9. Pingback: Banana-Nut Oat Bran Muffins – Baking Adventures

10. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - 100 New Lunchbox Ideas To Try

11. Pingback: Sam's Guide To Healthy Snacking For The Whole Family | Lucy Bee Blog