Blueberry Corn Muffins

What do you do when you buy two big containers of blueberries? First, you eat them by the handful because they are so good and you can’t resist. Next, you make a batch of Blueberry Corn Muffins because you are in the mood to bake and you really want to eat muffins. Well, at least that was my thought process. I could have stood at the kitchen counter shoveling blueberries in my face all day, but instead I devoured more than my fair share of Blueberry Corn Muffins.

Cornbread and corn muffins are a staple in our house. We make them all of the time to go with soup, chili, salads, or just because. When I was pregnant with Caleb, I craved corn muffins like crazy. Josh got really good at making corn muffins:) I decided it was my turn to treat him to a batch of fresh corn muffins.

I always like to mix things up so this time I added juicy blueberries to the recipe. The corn muffins are tender and bursting with sweet, plump blueberries. We enjoyed our Blueberry Corn Muffins for breakfast, but they are good any time of the day. Trust me, I know. I ate one for a snack and with my dinner. They really go well with any meal. And a little hint-they are good plain, but add a dab of butter and a drizzle for an extra special treat. Almost too good to be true!

Put your summer blueberries to good use and make a batch of Blueberry Corn Muffins! And make sure you save some blueberries to make Blueberry Yogurt Waffles and Blueberry, Strawberry & Jicama Salsa on the 4th of July! Loading up on blueberries is always a great idea!

Blueberry Corn Muffins

Yield: 12 muffins

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

These tender corn muffins are bursting with blueberries. They are great for breakfast, a snack, or served as a side dish to any meal.

1 cup all-purpose Gold Medal flour
1 cup course ground yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup blueberries

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Fill a regular-size muffin pan with paper muffin cups or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk, melted butter, canola oil, vanilla, and eggs until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until combined. The batter will be lumpy. Gently fold in the blueberries. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.

4. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and serve.

Corn Muffin recipe adapted from Baking From My Home To Yours

If you like these Blueberry Corn Muffins, you might also like:

66 Responses to “Blueberry Corn Muffins”

I love blueberry muffins! And that Dorie corn muffin recipe is a winner. This has got to be good.

I would never have thought to put blueberries in corn bread! But man these look amazing!!!!

Riley — July 2, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

Seems like a logical thought process. These muffins look fantastic!

Mi Vida en un Dulce — July 2, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

Look at that colors, the muffins look so great.
    I have some blueberries in the freeze, we are in winter so it’s not the season, and I have just a few for new recipes to try. This will be one.

Jessica @ How Sweet — July 2, 2012 @ 8:47 pm

so obsessed with blueberries right now. these are perfect!

Joanne — July 2, 2012 @ 8:59 pm

I love how crazy blue the insides of those muffins are! That’s how you know they’re super berry-licious.

Ann P. — July 2, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

I love the summery combination of the corn meal and blueberries! I tried to find blueberries in bulk at my Costco, but I couldn’t!! I was devastated… but I guess I’ll have to try again! :)

Wow. Look at that burst of color and flavor once you bite into the muffin. Yum!! I think berries and cornbread work so well together.

Krissy Creations — July 2, 2012 @ 11:55 pm

I love how these muffins are full of blueberries! Definitly my kind of muffin :)

I have never thought of putting fruit in corn muffins, it sounds really good actually.

Robyn — July 3, 2012 @ 10:56 am

Made these last night and they’re so very delicious! However, I used closer to 2 cups berries and yielded 16 standard size muffins. They also don’t look as “berry packed” as yours – did you use extra blueberries?
    Do you have the nutritional stats? I hope they’re not too steep… I had 2 last night! :)

JulieD — July 3, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

Oh my goodness, I love blueberry muffins and I love corn muffins…love that you combined them!!

Mmmm…I’m imagining these with some sticky grilled ribs!

Esi — July 4, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

Love this twist on blueberry muffins

Jen — July 6, 2012 @ 9:55 pm

Just made these tonight. So yummy! I added lemon zest and lemon to juice to the batch. Best muffins ever

16. Pingback: the little kitchen » Blueberry Muffins and a Google+ Video

aida mollenkamp — July 9, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

These sound delish!

Kristina Vanni — July 10, 2012 @ 5:24 pm

Blueberry muffins are such a great summer comfort food. I love this take with cornbread. Yum!

Peggy — July 11, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

I would love it, if you would share this, & any other recipes you may have, on my recipe link up. http://goodrecipesonline.com/organized-linkup-for-all-your-recipes-goodrecipesonline-com/.

Jen @ Savory Simple — July 15, 2012 @ 10:10 am

I just bought corn and blueberries at the market. How do you think these would turn out if I added some fresh corn in addition to the blueberries?

janicedale — July 15, 2012 @ 6:46 pm

I love the combination of blueberry and the corn. It is really a good combination of muffin. I have tasted this at the pastry house and I can say that their mufifn is really good. But, definitely I wanted to try on my own and this is another good recipe on my lists.

________________________
    light meals for one

22. Pingback: Gluten Free Blueberry Corn Muffins

23. Pingback: Muffins and brunch « Doctorate Housewife

Kimberly — February 17, 2013 @ 11:01 am

Wow! I have been making these for a year now for my fiance who does not care for sweets, but LOVES blueberry muffins. The cornmeal is the perfect addition and the fresh blueberries…. YUM! He smilies from ear to ear whenever he comes over an smells them in the ovan. I must admit, I love eating them too :-)

Rachele — April 19, 2013 @ 2:08 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! Absolutely delicious!!!