Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles

Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles Recipe on www.twopeasandtheirpod.com

I am not eating sugar this week. Well, I haven’t caved in yet:) So far, so good! I just need a week to detox a little. I am still eating fruit, but no desserts and that means no cookies. Gasp! I don’t think I have ever gone a week without eating a cookie!

Well, just because I am off sugar doesn’t mean that you have to feel deprived. I am going to live vicariously through all of you because you are going to be eating Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles. I made these cookies a few weeks ago and I think I ate the entire batch. Hence, the need for a sugar detox:) These cookies were so worth the cookie binge! I LOVE them and I think you will too!

Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodle Recipe on twopeasandtheirpod.com The BEST snickerdoodles! Everyone loves these cookies!

Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles on www.twopeasandtheirpod.com These cookies will become a favorite!

During the holidays, I made Monique’s Brown Butter Snickerdoodles. They were a hit. Everyone loved them and asked for the recipe. The brown butter takes a good snickerdoodle to a GREAT snickerdoodle.

I decided it was time to take the snickerdoodle to another level by adding caramel and sea salt. Oh, yes I did!

Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles on www.twopeasandtheirpod.com You need this cookie recipe!

That GREAT snickerdoodle just got transformed into a cookie that is off the charts. Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles are irresistible. That is why you are making them this week and not me. I can’t say no to these cookies:)

Brown Butter Snickerdoodles Stuffed with Caramel and a sprinkle of sea salt! Recipe on www.twopeasandtheirpod.com

The cookies are soft with a nutty brown butter flavor. When you bite into a cookie you will be pleasantly surprised by the sweet gooey caramel. I love salted caramel so I increased the salt in the recipe and added a sprinkle of sea salt to the tops of every cookie. Salted caramel, meet brown butter snickerdoodle-love at first sight!

Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles-there is a surprise inside! Recipe on www.twopeasandtheirpod.com

The classic cinnamon sugar mixture is the perfect finish to the cookies. Aren’t they purty?

I am seriously craving a Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodle right now. I really wish I could reach into my computer screen and grab one. I know, stay strong, stay strong!

Please eat a cookie for me! And if you bake a batch of Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles and happen to be driving by our house, maybe you can sneak a cookie under our front door. I will save it until next week when I am back on sugar. I promise. Wink, wink:)

Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles from www.twopeasandtheirpod.com

Brown Butter Salted Caramel Cookies

Yield: 2 dozen cookies

Cook Time: 8-10 minutes

Brown butter snickerdoodles with a caramel surprise inside!

2 1/2 cups all-purpose Gold Medal flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
1 cup caramel squares, cut into 1/4's

For Rolling the Cookies:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Sea salt, for sprinkling on top of cookies

1. In a medium bowl, Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.

2. To brown the butter, heat a thick-bottomed skillet on medium heat. Add the sliced butter, whisking frequently. Continue to cook the butter until melted. The butter will start to foam and browned specks will begin to form at the bottom of the pan. The butter should have a nutty aroma. Watch the butter carefully because it can go from brown to burnt quickly. Remove butter from the heat and let cool to room temperature.

3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the brown butter and sugars. Mix until blended and smooth. Beat in the egg, yolk, vanilla, and yogurt and mix until combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

4. Form the dough in a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. You can chill the dough overnight.

5. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Measure about 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into balls. Flatten the ball with the palm of your hand and place a piece of caramel in the center of the dough. Wrap the cookie dough around the caramel, making sure the caramel is completely covered with dough.

6. In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar. Roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place dough balls on a large baking sheet that has been lined with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper. Make sure the cookies are about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle the cookie tops with sea salt.

7. Bake the cookies 8-10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown. The centers will still be soft. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes, or until set. Transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack and cool completely.

Recipe adapted from Ambitious Kitchen

Yum Pin It

236 Responses to “Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles”

1. Brianna — December 18, 2013 @ 6:19 pm

I’m confused about the amount of caramel to use. The cookies in the picture look like they have more than one 1/4 piece of caramel in them. If they only have one piece, and the recipe makes 2 dozen cookies, then wouldn’t you only need 6 whole caramel squares? A cup is about 15 squares by my measurement.

2. lisa — December 19, 2013 @ 12:13 am

These cookies were a hit!! this year I found carmel bits in the store. it was easier than unwrapping the carmel squares and cutting them. I gave them to co workers and these cookies were their favorite!!!

3. Nichole — December 19, 2013 @ 5:33 pm

yum! made these last night and they’re delicious!! BUT, they’re super flat and the caramel is now relatively hard. any suggestions?

4. Pingback: 50 Christmas Cookies | Like Mother, Like Daughter Food

5. Pingback: Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles

6. Pingback: A Christmas Re-cap: Marathoning, Cooking, Crafting and some Headstands | Vegging Out

7. Amanda — December 24, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

Made these for Santa tonight! They are amazing and will definitely be made again, and again and again!! Santa will be a jolly man tonight!!!

8. Pingback: Caramel Snickerdoodles | Delicious desserts recipes

9. Valerie — January 13, 2014 @ 12:16 am

I made this recipe today and they are amazing! I think I have found my new favorite cookie. =) They are a bit more labor intensive than some others, but very much worth it! I couldn’t find caramel squares at the store, so made my own caramels to put in the middle. Thank you for the recipe.

10. Christina — January 28, 2014 @ 6:12 pm

I made these cookies today – haven’t tried one yet as they are just baking, but the dough is delicious! I have a question re the caramel. It appears to me that one needs 6 caramel squares, with each one cut into 4 pieces rather than one cup of caramel squares. Or .. as I did .. each cookie will have more than 1 caramel piece :) Thanks for your time and this recipe. Chris

11. Pingback: Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles | İlgili Bilgili

12. Tasha — February 1, 2014 @ 9:56 pm

I’m getting ready to make the dough tonite, will refrigerate it, and make/bake the cookies tomorrow. QUESTION–after wrapping the dough around the caramel, do you leave them in a ball on the pan and then they flatten as they bake?

I can’t wait to try them–looks like almost everyone loved them! Thanks!

13. Jennifer — February 26, 2014 @ 3:11 pm

While I haven’t tried this caramel snickerdoodle recipe precisely, I have tried one before, and I would suggest mashing the caramel flat before wrapping it in dough. Because I ended up with just a lump of caramel in the middle instead of spread through the cookie. It still tasted great, just wasn’t as much perfection as I had been hoping for.

14. Kelly O. — February 27, 2014 @ 3:24 pm

Hi there,
    I’m making these right now and am wondering about how many caramels you put into each cookie… by the looks of your cookies in the photos, you put in 2 caramel quarters or more… so do you put in 1 caramel in each one? like 4 quarter caramels to make up one? or just 1 quarter of a caramel?

15. Two Peas — February 27, 2014 @ 3:33 pm

I cut a caramel square into four pieces and stuff one in the middle. If you want to add more you can!

16. Pingback: Weekend wishes… | Photography.xcuz.me

17. Linda Johnson — March 2, 2014 @ 2:52 pm

Is there a substitute for the 1 T Greek Yogurt? I want to make these for “Fat Tuesday”.

18. Leona — March 2, 2014 @ 5:03 pm

How many pieces of caramel do you use for each cookie. The recipe said to cut caramels in 1/4 pieces. Do I put all 4 pieces in one cookie? Since the recipe only makes 2 doz. cookies there will be a lot of left over caramel.

19. Twila — March 9, 2014 @ 7:23 pm

These look so amazing and I can’t wait to try them. Question: do you use prepackaged wrapped caramels ( like Kraft) or did you make your own?

20. dirtgirl — April 6, 2014 @ 9:50 pm

Beautiful cookie. Was surprised at how big they came out, but that certainly didn’t stop hubby and I eating a couple before they’d had a chance to cool down! Delish……
    Thank you for a great recipe. My biggest problem was finding a genuine old style caramel here in Australia, but thanks to the $2 shop, got exacty what I couldn’t find in 4 supermarkets.

21. Pingback: GUIDED BY NOSTALGIA | MR. ALPENGLOW

22. Pingback: Holiday Cookies {Christmas Tradition Series}

23. Pingback: Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chunk Cookies | Two Peas & Their Pod

24. Angie — June 23, 2014 @ 9:31 am

I made these cookies today and they were absolutely amazing! I used homemade vanilla bean caramels for the centers…I don’t know how I didn’t eat all of them myself. Wonderful recipe!

25. Two Peas — June 23, 2014 @ 9:32 am

Yay! Glad you enjoyed the cookies!

26. Pingback: 95+ Caramel Recipes | Chef in Training

27. Lisa — August 6, 2014 @ 7:27 am

Help please!!: I tried making my own caramels to fill these type of cookies with… The caramel turned out fine until I baked it inside the cookie… I took out of oven and let the cookies cool and too a bite the caramel had tuned from perfect to grainy or crystalized!! How can I use my own carsmels so that won’t happen??? Must I use a certain carsmel recipe or procedure? Store bought caramels don’t do thAt!!
    Thanks!

28. Pingback: 27 Salted Caramel Desserts That Will Make Everything Better | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

29. Pingback: 27 Salted Caramel Desserts That Will Make Everything Better | Just For Fun

30. Pingback: Cookiepalooza! | graceandakitchen

31. Mika — September 13, 2014 @ 11:31 pm

Thank you for this recipe. I just baked a batch and they came out perfect and were amazing. I think they might just be the best cookies I have ever baked. Thank you again!!!

32. Pingback: より良いすべてを作る27の塩をされたキャラメル・デザート | 健康に良い食事・悪い食事

33. Pingback: Brown Butter Salted Caramel Cookies | OptimaFood

34. Pingback: Craft Your Stash – silver bucket

35. Freya — September 27, 2014 @ 4:23 am

Delicious! I put two pieces of caramel squares in (as in two quarters) and it was perfect. Wish I doubled the mixture as these were eaten so quickly!

36. Pingback: Cinnamon Caramel Cookies

37. Gloria — October 23, 2014 @ 10:25 am

I made these cookies today for a bake sale and they were gone in no time. I’m planning another bake, but will be on vacation until the day before. How many days ahead of baking can I prepare the cookie dough?

38. Two Peas — October 23, 2014 @ 11:35 am

You can keep the dough in the fridge for 2-3 days before baking.

39. Andrea — November 14, 2014 @ 4:57 pm

I have a question about the caramels. My store was sold out of regular caramels, but had the small caramel melting balls. (Pea size…) Has anyone tried these, and if so, how many of them would go in the middle of the cookie nicely? And did they melt ok? Thank you!

40. Pingback: What’s The Flavor? Salted Caramel! | What's the Fabulous?