Cannoli Stuffed French Toast

Call me old fashioned or a traditionalist, but I think breakfast in bed is the perfect way to start Valentine’s Day. And no, I am not just dropping hints for Josh. Although, I hope he is listening:)

Just think about it, you turn off your alarm clock and want to hide under the covers until your loved one walks in with a breakfast tray, flowers, and a sweet note. Of course you are going to have a good Valentine’s Day, especially if Cannoli Stuffed French Toast is on that breakfast tray.

Valentine’s Day is supposed to be filled with love, special surprises, and indulgences. This Cannoli Stuffed French Toast is definitely indulgent and perfect for breakfast in bed. Just make sure you have a napkin ready:)

cannoli-stuffed-french-toast

I love cannoli for dessert, but cannoli for breakfast? Now we’re talking. I’m always looking for new ways to sneak dessert into breakfast. I promise we don’t eat dessert for breakfast every day, it is usually oatmeal at our house, but it’s Valentine’s Day and that means it’s A-Ok to splurge! You have my permission:)

So let’s talk about this French toast…creamy ricotta filling is sandwiched between two slices of French bread. Oh, and did I mention their are mini chocolate chips involved? Yep! Chocolate for breakfast on Valentine’s Day is a must! The French toast sandwiches get cooked in a little sizzling butter, creating a golden brown crust.

cannoli-stuffed-french-toast1

The French toast also gets decorated with a light dusting of powdered sugar. You don’t even need syrup, the sweet ricotta filling and chocolate chips are enough!

Valentine’s Day is on Thursday so there is still enough time to drop some hints. Print off this Cannoli Stuffed French Toast recipe and leave it on your sweetheart’s pillow. They still have plenty of time to go to the grocery store to buy the ingredients. This recipe is unbelievably easy so there should be no excuses.

We hope you wake up on Valentine’s Day to a Cannoli Stuffed French Toast breakfast…in bed. And it’s ok if you give your loved one powdered sugar kisses:)

cannoli-stuffed-french-toast3

Cannoli Stuffed French Toast

Yield: Serves 2

Cook Time: 8 minutes

Total Time: 18 minutes

We love making Cannoli Stuffed French Toast for special occasions. This French toast is definitely decadent!

1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream (or milk)
4 slices French bread
2 tablespoons butter
Powdered sugar-for serving

1. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Set aside.

2. In a shallow bowl or pie plate, whisk the eggs and heavy cream together. Spread 2 slices of the bread with the ricotta mixture, about 1/2 cup per slice. Place the other slices of bread on top and gently press them together. Carefully dip both sides of each sandwich into the egg mixture until well coated.

3. In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the French toast sandwiches and cook until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Cut the sandwiches in half on the diagonal and transfer to plates. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately.

If you like this Cannoli Stuffed French Toast, you might also like:

78 Responses to “Cannoli Stuffed French Toast”

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — February 11, 2013 @ 5:22 pm

This is the ultimate stuffed French toast! Love it! I bet Josh was a happy man!

Amy @Very Culinary — February 11, 2013 @ 8:07 pm

OMG. I die.

Becky @ Project Domestication — February 11, 2013 @ 8:34 pm

I think I’d like these more than the traditional cannoli!
    Hope you have such a wonderful Valentine’s Day!

Joanne — February 11, 2013 @ 8:51 pm

This is definitely the recipe for a good V-Day….or any day!

Oh my, I want this for breakfast any day of the week! it looks incredible!

Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs — February 11, 2013 @ 10:21 pm

This is perfect for Valentine’s Day weekend breakfast!

Melanie — February 11, 2013 @ 10:31 pm

Oh dear, I think my heart just skipped a beat. Thanks for this recipe!

Mimi @ Culinary Couture — February 12, 2013 @ 12:38 am

This is my kind of breakfast! I’ll definitely be treating myself to these V-DAY morning!

9. Pingback: Two Great Looks One

Emily @ Life on Food — February 12, 2013 @ 6:11 am

Think if I started the day with this I wouldn’t get out of bed all day. I would love it but I would be in bed.

11. Pingback: WAVE 106 – Whip Up Something Delicious For Valentine’s Day

Amber (Sprinkled With Flour) — February 12, 2013 @ 11:14 am

Holy Cannoli! This french toast sounds amazing…seriously…my mouth is drooling in a very unladylike way right now. :)

Missy — February 12, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

This would be great with valentine strawberries sliced on top! Thanks for another great treat, Maria.

Marian (Sweetopia) — February 12, 2013 @ 12:31 pm

Oh my!! What a perfect breakfast! Love!

Carla @ Carlas Confections — February 12, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

This would definitely be the perfect breakfast in bed! Although, I dont see that happening with my husband ;) but a girl can hope!

Dina — February 13, 2013 @ 4:21 pm

this is a great idea. looks yummy!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — February 13, 2013 @ 10:52 pm

I would marry Ben all over again if he brought me this for Breakfast in bed Valentine’s morning! Wowzer!

18. Pingback: Stop what you’re doing and look at this! « Kerry Cooks

susan marie — February 14, 2013 @ 12:32 pm

I fixed this for my newly-retired husband for breakfast today, and it was a wonderfully different and decadent treat for Valentine’s Day. I served it with a strip of bacon to balance the sweet (and the bacon was yummy when used to scoop the filling that oozed out!) and fresh strawberries for color. The sweetie took a picture and posted it on FB for his friends to drool over, so I would say it was a success!

20. Pingback: Creamy Tomato Orzo Soup | Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

21. Pingback: Friday’s Top Ten 2.15.13 « Roochel's Randoms

Steph @ Lipstick & Cake — February 28, 2013 @ 6:41 am

This might just be one of the most beautiful dishes I have ever seen. Yummm! I know I’m going to be dreaming about this tonight.

Mary — March 3, 2013 @ 4:39 pm

Cannoli-stuffed-french-toast – Oh my!!!! Pinned!!! Thanks for the yummy share!!!

• Two Peas replied: — March 3rd, 2013 @ 7:51 pm

Thanks Mary!

24. Pingback: Cannoli Dip - Cooking Classy

Mark — May 12, 2013 @ 11:55 am

I made this for my wife for Mother’s Day. It was very good, but the chips melted and the filling ran out like a molten lava cake, so the final product looked nothing like the pictures in the article. Is it possible the filling was added after the french toast was made (just for illustrating purposes)?

• Two Peas replied: — May 12th, 2013 @ 11:58 am

We made the French toast as the recipe states. I just added some additional chocolate chips for the photo so it would look pretty:)

• Two Peas replied: — May 12th, 2013 @ 11:58 am

You could wait and add the filling though. I am sure it would work just fine!

Christina — June 16, 2013 @ 12:34 am

Going to make this for Father’s Day tomorrow morning! Cannot wait! I’m a huge fan of canolis and cannoli cream ! Thanks for sharing.

Kimie — November 19, 2013 @ 6:38 pm

This looks amazing! I was craving french toast, but after seeing this I think I’ll try this instead! Oh my…. thanks for sharing. Btw, you photos looks incredible!

28. Pingback: 25 Recipes for Valentine’s Day Breakfast in Bed Surprise | StyleVanity

Helen — February 2, 2014 @ 1:34 pm

Will swap chips for blueberries but a definite request x

Liz — February 12, 2014 @ 10:28 am

I made this yesterday morning…just for ME! (I’m the only human at my house…)

For the filling, I used goat cheese instead of ricotta and 60% cocoa chips instead of bittersweet.

I make nut milks and almond so soaked some stale but homemade brioche in almond milk/egg mixture.

Topped all with raspberries and maple syrup warmed up together.

Seriously yum – I love cannoli but rarely find it or make it. What a great sub for it – thank you!

31. Pingback: What I’m loving this week | soundZtastee

32. Pingback: 31 Life-Changing Ways To Eat French Toast | Bringing the best news to the People

33. Pingback: Recipe: Cannoli Stuffed French Toast

34. Pingback: ~ See Ya’ Later Sunday (oh and Weekend Breakfast, Lent and Samsung Galaxy Camera GIVEAWAY!)

35. Pingback: 31 New And Kicking Ways To Eat French Toast. Wake Me At Any Ungodly Hour For Number 15.