Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies

Zucchini season is not over yet.  Our good friends gave us a zucchini the size of a baseball bat from their garden. I am trying to come up with creative ways to use our humongous zucchini. I love zucchini bread, zucchini cookies, but I wanted to try something new. Last night we needed a dessert to watch the opening NFL football game, so I made chocolate chip zucchini brownies.

The friend’s we are living with until our kitchen remodel is finished aren’t the biggest zucchini fans. When I brought the zucchini inside, they kindly told me to pack it in my suitcase:) Yesterday, they left the house to run a few errands-I knew it was my chance to bake with my zucchini. I wasn’t sure how long they would be gone, so I asked Josh to help me. We made zucchini brownies in record time. The kitchen was spotless when they came home.

When I cut the brownies for dessert, they knew there was something different about these brownies. The green zucchini peeked through the chocolate too well. Darn! Oh well, it didn’t matter, they were good sports and tried the brownies. To our surprise, and theirs, they actually enjoyed them. The brownies are rich, chocolaty, and moist-what’s not to like?

If you are still looking for ways to use up your garden zucchini, give these chocolate chip zucchini brownies a try!

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies

Yield: 16 brownies

Cook Time: 25-30 minutes

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 11 baking pan with cooking spray, set aside.

2. In a stand mixer, combine sugar, canola oil, and flour, combine until mixture resembles wet sand. While mixing, on low, add cocoa, zucchini, vanilla extract, salt and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

3. Pour brownie batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the brownies are set.

4. Cool on a wire rack. Cut brownies into squares and serve.

Recipe adapted from Food Finery

If you like these zucchini brownies, you might also like:

Zucchini Cookies with Chocolate Chips and Dried Cranberries from Two Peas and Their Pod
Zucchini Cake with Lime Cream Cheese Frosting from Baking Bites
Zucchini Chocolate Loaf from Fork Spoon Knife
Hazelnut Zucchini Bread from Vintage Mixer

147 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies”

1. Pingback: DB March 2013: Turtle Zucchini Brownies

2. Pingback: chocolate chip coconut zucchini bread |

3. Pingback: List Paleo Foods Crossfit

4. Pingback: Welcome to Virtual Vegan Potluck! | Salted Triple Chocolate Rhubarb Brownies | Gypsy Roller's Veggie Kitchen

Flavia — June 5, 2013 @ 4:43 pm

You can add this recipe to your Vegan section :)

Lindsey — July 2, 2013 @ 10:38 am

I’ve tried two different zucchini brownie recipes, and I must say these win! The other recipe was delicious but turned out like cake. You couldn’t call them brownies if you tried. These were a little more cake-like than I would’ve liked but definitely had a dense brownie quality to them. I think the chocolate chips made the difference because otherwise the ingredients and measurements were very similar. I would add more next time to give it a fudgier quality. I baked these in a 9×9 square metal pan. I had to cook it longer, but they turned out great. My hopes were that they wouldn’t lose as much moisture this way and stay fudgy. Thanks for the recipe!

Susan — July 4, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

I don’t have an 8×11 pan. Any suggestions for a different size? Would 8×8 be way too thick? I’d rather thick than too thin in a 9x 13 I think

paty — July 11, 2013 @ 7:01 am

I was wondering, if I want to put dates/figs instead of granualted sugar, any idea aboutt eh quantity to substitute it? Cz this looks so good!

Michelle — July 13, 2013 @ 3:41 pm

I just made these, but the consistency is odd …. Is there supposed to be an egg in here? The gritty “wet sand” texture remained, even in the end. Otherwise, a delicious taste!

• Two Peas replied: — July 13th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

I’ve never had a gritty texture, they are usually really moist. I never use eggs either. Maybe mix it for longer? Was your zucchini moist?

kimm — July 15, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

Delicious~although I made some changes. The batter was so dry I added 1/2 cup chocolate almond milk and 1/3 cup vanilla honey yogurt. I also used 1/2 cup raw sugar for 1/2 cup of the granulated. Used dark chocolate chips. Yum!

Indianaanna — July 25, 2013 @ 9:10 pm

I’ve made these brownies twice this week and they are delicious! I don’t have an 8×11 pan, so the first time I used a 7×11 pan. That batch turned out as thick as a cake and took longer to bake. The second time I used a 9×13 pan and that turned out the perfect thickness for brownies. I swapped coconut oil for the canola oil, which worked fine. I read many reviews saying the batter was dry, so made sure to pack my two cups of shredded zucchini fairly tight to make sure I had a full two cups. My batter was perfect. This is a fantastic recipe!

http://marketingpr.eu/ — July 27, 2013 @ 3:04 pm

I am really happy to glance at this webpage posts which contains
    lots of useful information, thanks for providing these
    kinds of information.

Linda — July 29, 2013 @ 1:16 pm

Made this last night -quadrupled the recipe due to a ridiculous overabundance of zucchini. Was a little concerned about how dry it was prior to adding the zucchini, but it moistened quickly after adding them. I did make it slightly differently that the recipe – I combined all of the dry ingredients, then added the oil to that and instead of vanilla extract I used almond extract. They are absolutely delicious and my husband said “outstanding!”. So, I now have a stockpile of outstanding zucchini brownies in the freezer!

14. Pingback: Zucchini Brownies – Low Calorie | Awaiting Ada

Shelly — August 4, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

Umm, there’s got to be more liquid like water or milk in this recipe otherwise it doesn’t make a batter…

Beatriz Bailey — August 11, 2013 @ 5:47 pm

Hi Maria,

Probably a silly question but should I wring the water out of the zucchini first or no?
    Thanks so much!!

17. Pingback: It’s That Time Again… | Life As I Know It

18. Pingback: Sweet Veggies | Nutrition.Health.Life.

Natalie — September 2, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

Hi,
    Came across your recipe after seeing something similar on Pinterest. I just made these and followed the directions exactly, including the 8×11 pan size. The edges cooked nicely, but the majority of the pan did not cook, even though I left it in an extra 10 minutes. I’m not at a high altitude or anything like that.. Any ideas on this? I wonder if I used a 9×13 pan and they were thinner if they would cook better..? Also, I drizzled some melted chocolate and sprinkled the walnuts on the top. The batter I got was moist, not crumbly like in some other comments. It was more like a cookie dough. They taste great, even if I do have to eat them with a spoon!

Lynndsie — September 6, 2013 @ 8:26 am

Thank you for the great recipe it turned out great! I’m a newbie to vegan cooking and thought this was a great recipe for a bbq last weekend. My friends and family loved it. Everyone wanted the recipe and was schocked to find out their was no egg or cow’s milk. I did add cloves, allspice and nutmeg but that’s how I make my homemade chococlate, chocolate chip zucchini cake. Thanks again I’ll be on the look out for more great recipes to try.

Sarah — September 8, 2013 @ 6:22 am

Do you think they would freeze well?

• Two Peas replied: — September 8th, 2013 @ 9:31 pm

Yes! They freeze great!

22. Pingback: Healthy Zucchini Brownie Recipe with Chocolate Chips

Sarah — September 12, 2013 @ 6:06 am

Glad they freeze great! Put them in the freezer before I saw your answer. I have got another batch in the oven today, but using a bigger pan and hand stirred. I used a 9×13 the first time around and they turned out as thick as cake…but still delicious. My brownies seem to always turn out like cake.

Karen — September 12, 2013 @ 7:59 pm

Baked these up this afternoon. Used 1/4 C. applesauce and 1/4 C. oil and stirred it all by hand. Needed to bake for about 45 minutes. Delicious, moist, thick and fudgey!

Becky — September 15, 2013 @ 12:18 am

I just made and used 2 tbsp coconut oil and pear fruit cup for oil replacement- I also used raw sugar ;2/3 cup & 1/8 cup agave syrup — very moist and just right on sweetness – my hubby said to keep this recipe ! Awesome brownie recipe

26. Pingback: Preserving summer vegetables | The Fat Moon

27. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies | The Sisters Cafe

Gio — September 24, 2013 @ 10:46 am

Hello! This recipe looks great! I have lot of avocados, may I substitute zucchini with them? in the same proportion? Thank you!

29. Pingback: In Season: Zucchini | THE KITCHENTHUSIAST

Val — November 22, 2013 @ 9:28 pm

THESE are literally my favorite brownie recipe ever. Ever since I got this recipe, they have been my go-to brownies. These are sooo moist and delicious and you don’t even notice the zucchini! They’re the BEST!

Eva — January 5, 2014 @ 9:34 pm

What are the nutrition facts for this recipe. I am using myfitnesspal.com and need to know the Calories, Total Fat, Carbohydrates and Protein.

32. Pingback: Gorge on Your Greens | sasquatch in the kitchen

Valerie — March 1, 2014 @ 9:14 pm

Just from experience—this recipe could use the addition of 1/2 cup of almond milk! Other than that—it’s GREAT and literally my favorite brownie recipe ever!!!!

34. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Zucchini Brownies | My Blog

35. Pingback: 50 Zucchini Recipes For Your Summer Harvest | The Free Range Life

36. Pingback: 35 Zucchini Recipes | Zucchini Recipes | Two Peas & Their Pod

Donna — July 20, 2014 @ 7:05 am

I just made these yesterday. They were delicious. I used a 17 x 11 pan and they were thick and yummy.

Patsy — July 20, 2014 @ 8:28 pm

I added 2 eggs to the recipe as the dough was very dry and not pourable. The brownies were more cake like , but very good.

Nika — July 28, 2014 @ 8:07 pm

I made these this evening and they are wonderful! The zucchini can’t be tasted, but it made them so fudgy and perfect. I used coconut oil in place of the canola oil.

• Two Peas replied: — July 29th, 2014 @ 9:11 am

Glad you liked the brownies!

Donna — August 4, 2014 @ 10:56 pm

Thus came out grainy and wouldn’t pour into the pan…it went in like sand…missing egg maybe?

• Two Peas replied: — August 5th, 2014 @ 10:08 am

I’ve never used an egg in this recipe and they are just fine. The zucchini keeps them moist. Sorry you had issues!