Chocolate Dutch Baby

Valentine’s Day is tomorrow and I think you should treat your sweetheart to a special breakfast in bed. Get out the breakfast tray, fine China, and make this Chocolate Dutch Baby. Oh-and don’t forget the fresh flowers and card. Ok, I know we are all busy, so if you don’t have time in the morning to serve breakfast in bed, I understand. It would be nice though, huh? You can still make this Chocolate Dutch Baby, even if your mornings are rushed because it only takes 25 minutes to make, from start to finish!

If you haven’t made a Dutch baby pancake before, don’t be intimidated. I promise, it is super easy. You mix the ingredients together in a blender and pour the batter into a buttered cast-iron skillet. If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet you can use a round cake pan. The pancake puffs up in the oven creating a fancy shmancy pancake. The chocolate aroma is sure to wake-up anyone that is sleeping in the house.

We dusted the Chocolate Dutch Baby with powdered sugar and topped it with sliced strawberries. This chocolate pancake doesn’t even need syrup, it is sweet enough on it’s own. It tastes similar to a piece of chocolate cake. A pancake that tastes like chocolate cake-I know, amazing, right? And it’s a pancake, so it perfectly acceptable to eat for breakfast.

If you make this Chocolate Dutch Baby for your sweetheart, family, or friends they will for sure be bragging about their Valentine’s Day breakfast all day long. Chocolate for breakfast is never a bad idea, especially on Valentine’s Day. And if you do have time to serve your sweetie breakfast in bed, do it. You will get double bonus points!

Chocolate Dutch Baby

Yield: Serves 8

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Chocolate Dutch Baby pancake mixed in the blender and baked in the oven. This easy puffy, chocolate baked pancake is the perfect breakfast for Valentine's Day.

3/4 cup milk
3 large eggs
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons powdered sugar, for dusting
Strawberries, for serving, optional

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a blender, combine milk, eggs, flour, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla, and granulated sugar. Blend until well combined, about 1 minute.

2. In a large cast-iron skillet, we used a 10 inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Pour batter into skillet and immediately transfer to oven. Bake until puffed and set, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and dust with powdered sugar. Serve immediately with strawberries, if desired.

Note-if you don't have a cast-iron skillet, you can use a round cake pan.

Recipe from Everyday Food

If you like this Chocolate Dutch Baby, you might also like:

98 Responses to “Chocolate Dutch Baby”

Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons.com — February 17, 2012 @ 9:03 am

These pancakes look great…I Love this! We just posted our 2nd Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday Link Party today and would love for you to share this! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/02/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link_16.html

Annie — February 21, 2012 @ 8:42 am

We made this this morning for Pancake Day and really enjoyed it! It tasted like hot chocolate, which gave us the idea of adding a bit of cinnamon next time to imitate the flavor of Mexican hot chocolate. Thanks for the fun recipe!

Aggie — February 22, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

Here’s something else I haven’t tried (but totally reminds me of you!) a Dutch baby! This looks SCRUMPTIOUS!

nicole {sweet peony} — February 23, 2012 @ 8:19 pm

Ahhhh this looks amaaaaaaazing! I can’t believe I missed this until now! I’ve actually never heard of a Dutch baby, but I know I would like it. And Matt would have LOVED this. I’ll have to make this for him when I get back home.

5. Pingback: Maple Bacon Dutch Baby | Burnt Apple

shruti @ a spoonful of yumm — March 22, 2012 @ 7:56 am

made this today and i love it – so easy & tasty ! used a star shaped baking tin and decorated it with sprinkles & icing sugar, i used whole wheat flour & cream instead of milk, the texture was the same. thank for the recipe maria :-)

Megan Jones — April 24, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

My freshman year of college my friend from across the hall made a dutch baby for me for the first time and man was I hooked. They are so light but still rich, sweet but not too sweet. They are just perfect. I couldn’t imagine them getting any better, but chocolate!? I cannot think of something more worth getting out of bed in the morning.

8. Pingback: Summer Menu Planning « My Life in the Domestic Church

Rachel — December 12, 2012 @ 11:15 am

I just made this and it is delicious. I topped it with sliced bananas, homemade strawberry sauce, and whipped cream. Next time I think I would try it topped with just sliced strawberries or even plain with powdered sugar to be able to taste the chocolate flavor more. I loved the texture– creamy center, and slightly crunchy, buttery edges. As far as how many people it serves, I ate half and was satisfied. I think that my husband would probably eat the whole thing. Thank you– I loved this idea and it was very good

Brian @ A Thought For Food — February 10, 2013 @ 4:12 pm

Haven’t had a dutch baby in a long time. Love the idea of adding chocolate!

11. Pingback: valentines day treats

Kristen — February 14, 2013 @ 10:47 am

Just made this for my kids for Valentine’s breakfast- it was a huge hit! Beautiful- and yummy- breakfast treat! I made it in a heart-shaped tart pan- it was lovely! I used half “special dark” cocoa- made it very dark and rich!

GS test demo — April 1, 2013 @ 2:40 am

Chocolate Dutch Baby | Dutch Baby Pancake Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

14. Pingback: Chocolate Dutch Baby | Roochel's Randoms

15. Pingback: Hazelnut Granola Recipe | Homemade Granola Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

16. Pingback: Lady From USA