Cilantro Lime Rice

We got invited to our friend’s birthday party and were asked to bring a Mexican side dish. Josh made Cilantro Lime Rice to take to the party. The rice was a hit and I told everyone the recipe was on our website, well, I lied. Sorry friends! I went to look for the recipe and realized I never posted it. Cilantro lime rice is one of our favorite side dishes so I can’t believe I have never shared the recipe. Well, today we are sharing the recipe so everyone can enjoy!

We cook the rice in water and vegetable broth to give the rice added flavor. If you don’t have vegetable broth, feel free to substitute chicken broth. Fresh lime juice and cilantro jazz up the white rice to create an outstanding rice dish. Cilantro lime rice is a great side dish to any Mexican meal. We often serve it with enchiladas, burritos, tostadas, fajitas, and tacos. It is simple to make and pairs nicely with all Mexican food.

Cilantro Lime Rice

Yield: about 3 cups cooked rice

1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
1 teaspoon butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 (15 ounce) can vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
4 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro

In a a saucepan combine rice, butter, garlic, 2 teaspoons of lime juice, broth and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low 15-20 minutes, until rice is tender. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, sugar, and cilantro. Pour over hot cooked rice and mix in as you fluff the rice. Serve warm.

Yum Pin It

101 Responses to “Cilantro Lime Rice”

1. Abby — April 28, 2011 @ 2:58 pm

I just posted this today too! It is amazing rice! LOVE it!

2. SMITH BITES — April 28, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

cilantro rice makes a regular appearance here in our house – LOVE IT!!

3. Allison [Haute Box] — April 28, 2011 @ 7:15 pm

Looks great. I love the flavor of lime!

4. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — April 28, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

I just love the cilantro lime rice at Chipotle… I have to give this recipe a try at home. :)

5. Pingback: Mexican Rice Bowl | Burrito Bowl Recipe | Two Peas and Their Pod

6. Pingback: Lovely Food

7. Shaina — May 1, 2011 @ 10:36 am

I am obsessed with the cilantro-lime rice at Chipotle. Sounds like the perfect side, Maria!

8. Pingback: Cinco de Mayo Recipes « Burnt Apple

9. Elle — May 3, 2011 @ 9:26 am

I love new ways to make rice–thanks for sharing!

10. Tina (My Life as a Mrs) — May 5, 2011 @ 6:30 am

YUM! I love cilantro lime rice! :) Looks mighty delicious!!

11. The Italian Dish — May 5, 2011 @ 8:09 am

I love lime and I love cilantro. I think a very limey Margarita would go well with this dish!

12. Cookin' Canuck — May 17, 2011 @ 8:57 pm

What a lovely, simple rice dish. The cilantro and lime would make it the perfect accompaniment for fish.

13. leesha — May 18, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

So I made this and while I loved the flavor, I can never get the texture right with rice. Mine always ends up mushy. Do you have any suggestions on how to make rice and get it to be fluffy?

14. Pingback: Recipe Raves and My New Shiny Addition « Dodging Acorns

15. twopeas — May 19, 2011 @ 11:38 am

Hmmm, ours is never mushy. Did you add too much liquid? Do you stir with a spoon? Try fluffing the rice with a fork.

16. Staci — June 1, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

Just wanted to say it again, this rice is perfect! Burrito bowls made with this rice have become a staple at our house. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

17. Lori — June 13, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

I also made this recipe and had trouble with it turning out mushy. Seemed like way too much liquid. I usually use 2 c. liquid to 1 c. rice, but this called for almost 3 c. liquid. Also, the vegetable stock I used was so dark in color that it didn’t look nearly as appealing. Any suggestions?

18. Two Peas — June 13, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

Sorry you had trouble. We have never had the rice turn out mushy. Try reducing the liquid if you need to and look for a light colored broth. You can also use chicken broth.

19. Pingback: Pin Pin Pinterest «

20. Jacs — July 6, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

I just made this rice. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize what I had bought and used was PRECOOKED rice. I’m a newbee to cooking so this doesn’t surprise me. I couldn’t figure out why the broth and water wasn’t soaking up like it normally does when I make regular rice. Oh well, I will definitely try this recipe again because I love love love Chipotle Cilantro and Lime Rice. It’s honestly the best rice ever and if you haven’t had it, you got to check it out. Hopefully, maybe next time I can compare the rice I make to it! :)

21. Pingback: Life Cleanse: Week 1

22. Pingback: Cilantro Lime Rice- Chipotle at Home! | igoYOUgo

23. Pingback: Strawberry Mango Salsa Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

24. Pingback: Mexican Rice Bowl | Two Peas & Their Pod

25. Pingback: Dinner :: Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas with Coriander Lime Rice « Precious Little Poppets

26. Pingback: Saturday Dinner: Football Style « The Pajama Chef

27. Pingback: Butternut Squash and Black Bean Burritos | noshblog

28. Pingback: » Cilantro Limeyness Michelle Learning

29. Pingback: Taco Tuesday, Part 3: Sweet cilantro rice | is this REALLY my life?

30. Pingback: Menu Monday | And then there's me

31. Pingback: Day 30 – Cilantro Lime Rice « 366 Days of Pinterest

32. Rio Lobo — March 4, 2012 @ 1:10 am

This recipe is great! I made it for my family and a long time friend for dinner and everyone loved it. The only thing different I did was put a little chili powder to give it a different flavor

33. eddielicious — March 22, 2012 @ 10:45 am

Yum, the Mexican version of sushi rice!

34. Melissa — April 21, 2012 @ 1:44 am

This cilantro lime rice was SO good! It taste delicious! However, we ended up cooking it for a lot longer than it called for. Next time should be good though!

35. Pingback: Cilantro Lime Quinoa Recipe | Quinoa Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

36. Pingback: {Cinco de Mayo} Lighter Chicken Enchiladas |

37. Ebeth — May 6, 2012 @ 12:36 am

I made this dish for a party but it was so mushy I tossed it all away and started over. There is WAY too much liquid in your recipe.

38. Tekuam — May 6, 2012 @ 3:19 pm

Is it okay to use JASMINE RICE instead??

39. Two Peas — May 6, 2012 @ 5:31 pm