Cinnamon Scones

I am an organized person, but not when it comes to my photos. They are a disaster. iPhoto is overloaded with photos because I never organize them. I take way too many photos of food and Caleb and never delete or organize them. They are all backed up on a hard drive and I save the photos that go on the blog in folders, but I never delete the photos from iPhoto. So yesterday, I opened up iPhoto and was determined to sort through the madness and try to get organized. Instead, I spent hours looking at old photos and not organizing. I was having too much fun reminiscing:) I am glad I looked at my old photos, because I found photos of these Cinnamon Scones I made about a month ago and never shared the recipe. The photos got lost in the madness. I am so sorry because these Cinnamon Scones are incredibly delicious. You all need the recipe!

The scones are made with heavy cream, cinnamon, and cinnamon chips. I use Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips, I know they are hard to find sometimes, so if you can’t find them in a store near you, you can order them online on Amazon. You can also leave them out, but I really like the extra burst of cinnamon they add. I also brushed the tops of the scones with heavy cream and sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar. These scones remind me of a decadent version of cinnamon toast. They are soft, tender, sweet, and loaded with cinnamon goodness.

Start your weekend off right by making a batch of these Cinnamon Scones for breakfast. They are the perfect weekend breakfast treat. And sorry it took me so long to share the recipe. I am going to try and organize my photos over the weekend. I promise, I will do it this time:) Do any of you  have any photo organizing tips to share? Thanks!

Cinnamon Scones

Yield: Makes 8 scones

Cook Time: 12-15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

These Cinnamon Scones will remind you of a decadent version of cinnamon toast. The scones are sweet, tender, and full of cinnamon goodness!

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1/2 cup cinnamon chips (I use Hershey's cinnamon chips)
1 cup heavy cream

For the cinnamon sugar topping:
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Quickly cut in the butter, using your hands, two knives, or a pastry blender. Mix until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a feel larger butter lumps. Stir in the cinnamon chips. Pour heavy cream over the ingredients and stir with a spatula until dough begins to form. Don't over mix.

3. Transfer dough to a floured countertop and knead dough by hand just until it forms a ball. Form scones by patting the dough into a 3/4-inch thick circle. Cut the scones into triangles or use a biscuit cutter. Press scraps back together and cut additional scones until dough is used up.

4. Place scones on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Using a pastry brush, brush scones lightly with heavy cream. Sprinkle scones with cinnamon/sugar mixture. Bake scones for 12-15 minutes, or until scones are light brown. Cool scones on a wire cooling rack and serve.

Scones will keep in an air-tight container for up to 2 days, but they really are best eaten the day they are made.

If you like these Cinnamon Scones, you might also like:

85 Responses to “Cinnamon Scones”

Margarita — February 24, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

I know what that’s like to try to organize photos. It should be done ASAP or you just end up looking at everything and having a good time, which isn’t such a bad thing. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it’s always better late than never! This looks so good and I’m a sconaholic, will have to make this soon!

mireia — February 24, 2012 @ 6:29 pm

This looks amazing but I will have to leave the cinnamon chips out because there’s no way I can find them in Spain!!

Thanks so much for sharing such great recipes!!

Rita — February 24, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

I have lots of photo organizing tips – I work as a training specialist for the Association of Personal Photo Organizers! http://www.appo.org. I would love to share the ABC’s of organizing both printed and digital photos. The association is full of wonderful resources and training for those who want a profession in this new emerging service industry! I would love to chat, contact me!

aida mollenkamp — February 24, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

I’ve never used cinnamon chips but this seems like a perfect place for them!

Scones are a must over the weekend in our house and these will be coming out of my over very soon. Love the cinnamon chips

Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama — February 24, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

I am awful at photo organization too. I also never print the pictures I take! My poor 3 year old doesn’t have a photo in print since she was like 1!

Joanne — February 24, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

i’m so glad you unearthed these from the photo archives! They look like cinnamon heaven!

Becki's Whole Life — February 24, 2012 @ 10:23 pm

OH yum…I don’t understand why stores don’t carry these chips they are wonderful!…but yay for Amazon:-). These sound amazing!

I do the same thing with pictures…I usually end up watching videos from way back when.

jackie devine — February 24, 2012 @ 11:04 pm

love this recipe…thanks for sharing.

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — February 24, 2012 @ 11:04 pm

I’m so glad you found these pictures because, #1 they’re beautiful! And #2 – I can’t wait to make these scones! I adore them, and have never made a cinnamon version. I have 1/2 a bag of cinnamon chips dying to be used up :)

sweetsugarbelle — February 24, 2012 @ 11:06 pm

I am so disorganized in ALL ways! You should see my Pinterest! Anyway, I am glad you found these!!!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — February 24, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

I love everything about these scones, so scrumptious! Your iPhoto sounds like mine!

Kristina Vanni — February 25, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

These look like a great way to start or finish the day! I love your use of cinnamon chips to add that extra cinnamon flavor. Can’t wait to try!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — February 25, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

With how much I bake you would think I had heard of cinnamon chips. Your scones look delicious and I can’t wait to get cinnamon chips at the store – this is quite a find! Hope you guys are having a relaxing weekend!

Arlene — February 25, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

Made these this morning !! OMG They are delicious ! I found that the dough, though, was a tad dry and didn’t come together as easily as most scone dough…..I had to work it more than I wanted to, but they turned out wonderful. I may add a tad more heavy cream the next time. Can’t get cinnamon chips in Alberta……’cept at Bulk Barn !! Love that store :)

Thanks for a great recipe :) Will be making it often :)

Sara {OneTribeGourmet} — February 25, 2012 @ 11:32 pm

Maria, these scones look so good..I’m going to order the cinnamon chips and try your wonderful recipe! Thanks for posting!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — February 26, 2012 @ 1:14 am

Whoa! I can so relate with massive photos waiting for me to sort through. I usually end up wasting a lot of time pondering over many.

Le sigh.

Yummy scones. I’ve got to try baking scones soon :)

Crystal Garcia — February 26, 2012 @ 2:27 pm

Can this recipe be baked as drop scones, instead of triangles or biscuit circles? If so, does the temperature need to be different?

• Two Peas replied: — February 26th, 2012 @ 7:05 pm

I haven’t tried making them as stop scones, but I am sure they would work just fine. I would bake them at the same temperature, set the timer a little early to make sure they don’t burn:) Enjoy!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — February 26, 2012 @ 3:30 pm

Scones are of my absolute favorites! Yours looks so flavorful with the cinnamon chips. YUM! :)

Esi — February 26, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

I still haven’t seen cinnamon chips at the store. so jealous.

Russell van Kraayenburg — February 26, 2012 @ 6:10 pm

What a scrumptious looking scone. I love all things cinnamon and this just looks killer. I just made cinnamon rolls but I’m thinking I’ll make these very soon anyway. Look at you stocking me up with recipes to try. Yum.

Julie — February 26, 2012 @ 6:24 pm

I made these today and they were delicious. My first attempt at scones, and it went great!

• Two Peas replied: — February 26th, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

Yay! Glad you liked the scones!

sally @ sally's baking addiction — February 26, 2012 @ 7:18 pm

i’ve had a hard time finding cinnamon chips! these look incredible though :)

Georganne (LilaLoa) — February 26, 2012 @ 10:03 pm

These look DELICIOUS!!! I’m SO GLAD you found the photos!

Jenn — February 27, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

Ok…. I’ve lost my mind or these are so incredibly delicious that I can actually SMELL cinnamon from looking at the pictures – no lie!

wow.

can’t wait to try them!

Katie @ Epicurean Mom — February 27, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

Ugh! I’m the WORST with organizing my photos too! These scones are perfection!

Cherie Day — February 27, 2012 @ 7:31 pm

We had to search high and low for the cinnamon chips, but oh, was it worth it! These scones were so yummy!! My family wasn’t too excited when I told them what I was making, but then they tried the scones, and they loved them. Thanks for so many scrumptious recipes! When I want to try something new, your site is always the first place I turn.

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — February 28, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

Mmm…cinnamon chips are the best! So are scones. These look so delicious! P.S. I feel your pain with photo management. I just reorganized how I go about storing them. It’s more of a pain, but now I have a lot more free space on my hard drive! :D Yay!

Megan S — February 29, 2012 @ 11:43 am

These are amazing! My 2 year old has been running around the house yelling at the top of her lungs, “Mmmmmmmmmmmm!” ever since her first bite. :) Perfect treat on our stay-inside-during-the-huge-blizzard day!

Darla | Bakingdom — March 2, 2012 @ 9:45 pm

I just bought some of those cinnamon chips yesterday…for no other reason than I had never tried them…and now I have something completely amazing to try them in! :)

Kim Heitzenrater — March 4, 2012 @ 9:22 pm

Wilbur cinnamon chips are so much better than Hershey’s! http://Www.wilburbuds.com

32. Pingback: Orange Almond Scone Recipe | Almond Scone Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

April — March 7, 2012 @ 4:09 pm

Oh these look so good. I’ve been wanting to make these ever since I saw a similar recipe on The Pioneer Woman’s website. Thanks for sharing, these are going on the list!

34. Pingback: Cinnamon-Sugar Scones Recipe | Brown Eyed Baker

35. Pingback: Cinnamon Scones « Law & Butter

Kyra Schmidt — December 18, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

Hey! I was wondering if I could mix the batter up christmas eve but wait to bake them christmas morning?

The Kook @ The Kitchen Kook — February 1, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe. This is literally the best thing that I’ve ever baked!! All my life, all I had were chewy, tough, dry, BLAND rocks parading around as scones. But these changed my life! So buttery, moist, delicate, and soft! Mmm!

38. Pingback: Cinnamon Chip Sugar Cookies | Bake Your Day

Jaymie — January 29, 2014 @ 6:59 pm

These are the best cinnamon chips I have ever found, and they’re always available. ;) I’m off to try this recipe!

40. Pingback: 25 Cinnamon Sweets - your homebased mom