Cinnamon Scones

I am an organized person, but not when it comes to my photos. They are a disaster. iPhoto is overloaded with photos because I never organize them. I take way too many photos of food and Caleb and never delete or organize them. They are all backed up on a hard drive and I save the photos that go on the blog in folders, but I never delete the photos from iPhoto. So yesterday, I opened up iPhoto and was determined to sort through the madness and try to get organized. Instead, I spent hours looking at old photos and not organizing. I was having too much fun reminiscing:) I am glad I looked at my old photos, because I found photos of these Cinnamon Scones I made about a month ago and never shared the recipe. The photos got lost in the madness. I am so sorry because these Cinnamon Scones are incredibly delicious. You all need the recipe!

The scones are made with heavy cream, cinnamon, and cinnamon chips. I use Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips, I know they are hard to find sometimes, so if you can’t find them in a store near you, you can order them online on Amazon. You can also leave them out, but I really like the extra burst of cinnamon they add. I also brushed the tops of the scones with heavy cream and sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar. These scones remind me of a decadent version of cinnamon toast. They are soft, tender, sweet, and loaded with cinnamon goodness.

Start your weekend off right by making a batch of these Cinnamon Scones for breakfast. They are the perfect weekend breakfast treat. And sorry it took me so long to share the recipe. I am going to try and organize my photos over the weekend. I promise, I will do it this time:) Do any of you  have any photo organizing tips to share? Thanks!

Cinnamon Scones

Yield: Makes 8 scones

Cook Time: 12-15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

These Cinnamon Scones will remind you of a decadent version of cinnamon toast. The scones are sweet, tender, and full of cinnamon goodness!

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1/2 cup cinnamon chips (I use Hershey's cinnamon chips)
1 cup heavy cream

For the cinnamon sugar topping:
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Quickly cut in the butter, using your hands, two knives, or a pastry blender. Mix until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a feel larger butter lumps. Stir in the cinnamon chips. Pour heavy cream over the ingredients and stir with a spatula until dough begins to form. Don't over mix.

3. Transfer dough to a floured countertop and knead dough by hand just until it forms a ball. Form scones by patting the dough into a 3/4-inch thick circle. Cut the scones into triangles or use a biscuit cutter. Press scraps back together and cut additional scones until dough is used up.

4. Place scones on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Using a pastry brush, brush scones lightly with heavy cream. Sprinkle scones with cinnamon/sugar mixture. Bake scones for 12-15 minutes, or until scones are light brown. Cool scones on a wire cooling rack and serve.

Scones will keep in an air-tight container for up to 2 days, but they really are best eaten the day they are made.

If you like these Cinnamon Scones, you might also like:

Yum Pin It

85 Responses to “Cinnamon Scones”

1. Angelyn — February 24, 2012 @ 3:59 pm

These look amazing!!

2. Cookin' Canuck — February 24, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

I’m glad you found these scones amidst your iPhoto stash because they sounds wonderful! Perfect for weekend snacking.

3. Margarita — February 24, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

I know what that’s like to try to organize photos. It should be done ASAP or you just end up looking at everything and having a good time, which isn’t such a bad thing. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it’s always better late than never! This looks so good and I’m a sconaholic, will have to make this soon!

4. mireia — February 24, 2012 @ 6:29 pm

This looks amazing but I will have to leave the cinnamon chips out because there’s no way I can find them in Spain!!

Thanks so much for sharing such great recipes!!

5. Rita — February 24, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

I have lots of photo organizing tips – I work as a training specialist for the Association of Personal Photo Organizers! http://www.appo.org. I would love to share the ABC’s of organizing both printed and digital photos. The association is full of wonderful resources and training for those who want a profession in this new emerging service industry! I would love to chat, contact me!

6. aida mollenkamp — February 24, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

I’ve never used cinnamon chips but this seems like a perfect place for them!

7. Scones are a must over the weekend in our house and these will be coming out of my over very soon. Love the cinnamon chips

8. Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama — February 24, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

I am awful at photo organization too. I also never print the pictures I take! My poor 3 year old doesn’t have a photo in print since she was like 1!

9. Joanne — February 24, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

i’m so glad you unearthed these from the photo archives! They look like cinnamon heaven!

10. Becki's Whole Life — February 24, 2012 @ 10:23 pm

OH yum…I don’t understand why stores don’t carry these chips they are wonderful!…but yay for Amazon:-). These sound amazing!

I do the same thing with pictures…I usually end up watching videos from way back when.

11. jackie devine — February 24, 2012 @ 11:04 pm

love this recipe…thanks for sharing.

12. Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — February 24, 2012 @ 11:04 pm

I’m so glad you found these pictures because, #1 they’re beautiful! And #2 – I can’t wait to make these scones! I adore them, and have never made a cinnamon version. I have 1/2 a bag of cinnamon chips dying to be used up :)

13. sweetsugarbelle — February 24, 2012 @ 11:06 pm

I am so disorganized in ALL ways! You should see my Pinterest! Anyway, I am glad you found these!!!

14. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — February 24, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

I love everything about these scones, so scrumptious! Your iPhoto sounds like mine!

15. Two Peas — February 25, 2012 @ 9:18 am

You can freeze them and then bake or freeze the baked scones. Just don’t add the glaze if you want to freeze them. Thaw and then add the glaze.

16. Kristina Vanni — February 25, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

These look like a great way to start or finish the day! I love your use of cinnamon chips to add that extra cinnamon flavor. Can’t wait to try!

17. Julia {The Roasted Root} — February 25, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

With how much I bake you would think I had heard of cinnamon chips. Your scones look delicious and I can’t wait to get cinnamon chips at the store – this is quite a find! Hope you guys are having a relaxing weekend!

18. Arlene — February 25, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

Made these this morning !! OMG They are delicious ! I found that the dough, though, was a tad dry and didn’t come together as easily as most scone dough…..I had to work it more than I wanted to, but they turned out wonderful. I may add a tad more heavy cream the next time. Can’t get cinnamon chips in Alberta……’cept at Bulk Barn !! Love that store :)

Thanks for a great recipe :) Will be making it often :)

19. Sara {OneTribeGourmet} — February 25, 2012 @ 11:32 pm

Maria, these scones look so good..I’m going to order the cinnamon chips and try your wonderful recipe! Thanks for posting!

20. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — February 26, 2012 @ 1:14 am

Whoa! I can so relate with massive photos waiting for me to sort through. I usually end up wasting a lot of time pondering over many.

Le sigh.

Yummy scones. I’ve got to try baking scones soon :)

21. Crystal Garcia — February 26, 2012 @ 2:27 pm

Can this recipe be baked as drop scones, instead of triangles or biscuit circles? If so, does the temperature need to be different?

22. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — February 26, 2012 @ 3:30 pm

Scones are of my absolute favorites! Yours looks so flavorful with the cinnamon chips. YUM! :)

23. Esi — February 26, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

I still haven’t seen cinnamon chips at the store. so jealous.

24. Russell van Kraayenburg — February 26, 2012 @ 6:10 pm

What a scrumptious looking scone. I love all things cinnamon and this just looks killer. I just made cinnamon rolls but I’m thinking I’ll make these very soon anyway. Look at you stocking me up with recipes to try. Yum.

25. Julie — February 26, 2012 @ 6:24 pm

I made these today and they were delicious. My first attempt at scones, and it went great!

26. Two Peas — February 26, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

Yay! Glad you liked the scones!

27. Two Peas — February 26, 2012 @ 7:05 pm

I haven’t tried making them as stop scones, but I am sure they would work just fine. I would bake them at the same temperature, set the timer a little early to make sure they don’t burn:) Enjoy!

28. sally @ sally's baking addiction — February 26, 2012 @ 7:18 pm

i’ve had a hard time finding cinnamon chips! these look incredible though :)

29. Georganne (LilaLoa) — February 26, 2012 @ 10:03 pm

These look DELICIOUS!!! I’m SO GLAD you found the photos!

30. Jenn — February 27, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

Ok…. I’ve lost my mind or these are so incredibly delicious that I can actually SMELL cinnamon from looking at the pictures – no lie!

wow.

can’t wait to try them!

31. Katie @ Epicurean Mom — February 27, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

Ugh! I’m the WORST with organizing my photos too! These scones are perfection!

32. Cherie Day — February 27, 2012 @ 7:31 pm

We had to search high and low for the cinnamon chips, but oh, was it worth it! These scones were so yummy!! My family wasn’t too excited when I told them what I was making, but then they tried the scones, and they loved them. Thanks for so many scrumptious recipes! When I want to try something new, your site is always the first place I turn.

33. Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — February 28, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

Mmm…cinnamon chips are the best! So are scones. These look so delicious! P.S. I feel your pain with photo management. I just reorganized how I go about storing them. It’s more of a pain, but now I have a lot more free space on my hard drive! 😀 Yay!

34. Megan S — February 29, 2012 @ 11:43 am

These are amazing! My 2 year old has been running around the house yelling at the top of her lungs, “Mmmmmmmmmmmm!” ever since her first bite. :) Perfect treat on our stay-inside-during-the-huge-blizzard day!

35. Darla | Bakingdom — March 2, 2012 @ 9:45 pm

I just bought some of those cinnamon chips yesterday…for no other reason than I had never tried them…and now I have something completely amazing to try them in! :)

36. Kim Heitzenrater — March 4, 2012 @ 9:22 pm

Wilbur cinnamon chips are so much better than Hershey’s! http://Www.wilburbuds.com

37. Pingback: Orange Almond Scone Recipe | Almond Scone Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

38. April — March 7, 2012 @ 4:09 pm

Oh these look so good. I’ve been wanting to make these ever since I saw a similar recipe on The Pioneer Woman’s website. Thanks for sharing, these are going on the list!

39. Pingback: Cinnamon-Sugar Scones Recipe | Brown Eyed Baker