Coconut Crusted French Toast

We don’t have any big plans for Easter this year. We are not traveling and unfortunately our families aren’t coming to visit. Caleb is still a little too young for Easter candy and egg hunts, so we will probably just go to church and make a special Easter brunch. I love all breakfast and brunch foods, but French Toast is probably my favorite. I’ve already requested Josh’s special Coconut Crusted French Toast for our Easter brunch on Sunday. It is fabulous and perfect for this time of year.

Josh dunks thick French bread into a mixture of eggs, coconut milk, coconut extract, and a splash of vanilla. Next, he dips the bread into shredded coconut and places it on a hot griddle. The coconut gives the French toast a sweet crust that compliments the coconut drenched bread. Coconut lovers will go crazy for this French toast! We like to serve it with butter, pure maple syrup, and fresh strawberries.

If you are a French toast and coconut fan, you will love this Coconut Crusted French Toast. It is a great recipe for Spring and would be a perfect addition to your Easter brunch menu. I know it is going to be the highlight of my Easter morning!

Coconut Crusted French Toast

Yield: Serves 2-3

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Thick slices of French toast with a sweet coconut crust. Coconut lovers will go crazy for this Coconut Crusted French Toast!

3 large eggs
3/4 cup lite coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
6 slices of French bread, cut into 1/2 inch slices
Butter, maple syurp, and strawberries-for serving, if desired

1. In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, coconut extract, vanilla extract, and salt. Place the shredded coconut on a plate. Dip both sides of each slice of bread into the egg mixture. Dip both sides of the coated bread into the shredded coconut. Drizzle a little egg mixture on top of the coconut to make it stick to the bread.

2. Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan or a griddle to medium to medium-high heat. Cook the slices of bread until golden brown on one side and then turn and cook the other side. Serve immediately or keep French toast warm in a 250 degree F oven.

3. Serve with butter, pure maple syrup, and/or strawberries.

If you like this Coconut Crusted French Toast, you might also like:

Yum Pin It

108 Responses to “Coconut Crusted French Toast”

1. Kate — April 8, 2012 @ 8:30 pm

I made the french toast this morning for Easter and my husband said it was the best french toast I’ve ever made – thank you!! We’ll definitely make it again! :)

2. Two Peas — April 9, 2012 @ 8:37 am

Glad you enjoyed the French Toast!

3. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — April 10, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

AAhh.. I love anything and everything coconut!! Delish 😀

4. Naomi — April 11, 2012 @ 10:58 am

This looks so fantastic. What a great creative twist on French toast!

5. Javelin Warrior — April 13, 2012 @ 8:53 am

I’ve never had coconut french toast before, but this looks so amazing I know I’m going to have to try it! I am featuring this post in today’s Friday Food Fetish roundup (with a link-back and attribution), but please let me know if you have any objections. It’s a pleasure to be following your creations…

6. Eni — April 13, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

made those last week, for my hubbie´s birthday(along with the cinnamon streusel pancakes and a bunch of other stuff :) and needless to say,they were A-W-E-S-O-M-E !!we both loved them!!thanks a lot!!!
    p.s.your adorable little caleb ist exactly a week older than our little max :)

7. These sound heavenly, Maria! Hope y’all’s Easter was lovely.

8. ThatOrganicGirl — April 15, 2012 @ 11:03 pm

This looks amazing!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

9. Christen Robinson — April 28, 2012 @ 8:37 am

I just made this for Saturday morning breakfast. The toddlers would eat it, but that left more for me and my husband. We loved it.

10. Pingback: Fancy some french toast » Pearls for Paper

11. Ashley — July 1, 2012 @ 10:13 am

I just made this for breakfast sans the coconut extract and it was amazing! Could you recommend a coconut extract brand? I googled it was a bit overwhelmed by all the choices! Penzeys is my go-to for spices and extracts, but they don’t have coconut. Thanks!

12. Two Peas — July 1, 2012 @ 5:55 pm

I use McCormick brand most of the time. It is easy to find.

13. Shannon — July 28, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

This has become our favorite french toast! My husband doesn’t like flake coconut, so I cook some slices with and some without. It’s great either way! Thanks for the great recipe.

14. Pingback: Walnut and Coconut Crusted French Toast

15. Kari@Loaves n Dishes — January 26, 2013 @ 10:58 am

I live in South FLA, we adore coconut here! I love how toasty the coconut gets when it’s cooked, yummo!

16. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate — January 26, 2013 @ 11:09 am

This looks amazing!

17. Pingback: Coconut French Toast with your Thermador Griddle : Thermador Home Appliance Blog

18. Pingback: forward | aesthetician

19. gina @ skinnytaste — March 26, 2013 @ 9:15 pm

Love this idea!!

20. Pingback: Coconut Raspberry Waffle Recipe | Coconut Whipped Cream | Two Peas & Their Pod

21. Shiloh Barkley — December 13, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

Made this tonight!! It’s really hard to get the pan at the proper temperature. I was never able to fry a slice and not blacken the coconut. Sad.

22. Pingback: Coconut Crusted French Toast | What2Cook

23. Suzanne — March 16, 2014 @ 10:51 am

Made this for breakfast with a side of fresh pineapple and bananas… a tropical delight!

24. Pingback: New Nostalgia – A Mother’s Day Breakfast-Coconut Crusted French Toast

25. Pingback: Anniversary Makeup

26. Pingback: Real Food Breakfast with Kids - Real Food Whole Life

27. Alexandria — June 22, 2014 @ 7:50 am

I had a par of homemade loaf of bread that I couldn’t simply bear to throw it away. I was very lucky to have come across your recipe. I severed it with banana slices but it was delicious!! Thank you for the recipe.

28. Pingback: Coconut Crusted French Toast Recipe on twopeasandtheirpod.com. The coconut makes this French toast extra special! - KEKO Cooks