Coconut Granola

Do you ever have those days where you are super busy, but feel like you get nothing done? That has been happening to me a lot lately. The days go by so quickly because I am so busy, but by the end of the day, I still don’t feel like I’ve accomplished anything.

Last week, I was running around like crazy trying to cross things off of my “to do” list, but Caleb didn’t want mama to work. He only wanted to play, so I put my “to do” list aside and we went to the park. When we got home, Caleb took a nap and I decided I was going to make homemade Coconut Granola and forget about everything else. I know granola is super easy to make, but for some reason, I always feel a sense of satisfaction after making a batch. I needed a little satisfaction, so I put on my apron and made a batch of Coconut Granola.

This granola has a triple dose of coconut-coconut oil, coconut extract, and shredded coconut. If you haven’t tried coconut oil, you need to. I am obsessed. I bought a jar from Trader Joe’s when we were in California and I am hooked. It is SO good in this granola.

The granola is sweetened with pure maple syrup. Splurge on the good stuff for this recipe. I promise it is worth it. I added in chopped almonds and pepitas for a little crunch.

I love eating Coconut Granola with Chobani Greek yogurt and fresh berries. It is the perfect summer treat. It is also good by the handful. I keep the granola in a large jar on our counter and it doesn’t last long. I can’t walk by without grabbing a handful of granola. It is too good!

This Coconut Granola also makes a great gift. Make a big batch and share with your family, friends, and neighbors. Fill Weck or Mason Jars with granola, add a ribbon, note and you are set! Such a cute, easy, and tasty gift!

At the end of the day I was content. I didn’t tackle my “to do” list, but I made a killer batch of Coconut Granola and that was good enough. Sometimes all you need is a little homemade granola. I hope you enjoy this Coconut Granola as much as I do.

Coconut Granola

Yield: About 5 cups granola

Cook Time: 30 minutes

This easy homemade Coconut Granola is great with yogurt or by the handful!

2 cups old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/3 cup pepitas
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with a Slipat or parchment paper. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine oats, coconut, almonds, pepitas, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and coconut extract. Pour liquid mixture over dry ingredients. Stir until dry ingredients are well-coated.

3. Pour the granola mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread granola into an even layer. Bake for 30 minutes or until granola is golden brown, stirring every 10 minutes. Let granola cool completely. Store in an air-tight container for up to 1 month.

If you like this Coconut Granola, you might also like:

143 Responses to “Coconut Granola”

Julia — June 6, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

Ah crap, I forgot I still need to make some of the “gooey, so bad for you, but oh sooooo good caramely granola.” Can I still blame my forgetfulness on pregnancy brain, 16 months later?! In any case, this looks faaaantastic!

Kristina Vanni — June 6, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

I am a huge fan of granola and this combination seems perfect. Great balance, great flavor. Yum!

Oh, this looks so yummy! Beautiful photos too.

Maria, I am a huge homemade granola fan. I’ve made dozens but have yet to bake up a coconut granola. You have me convinced – must make ASAP. We’re going hiking this weekend, this would be the perfect snack.

THIS LOOKS SO GOOD! Putting it on top of my coconut ice cream for a delicious crunch!

oh wow that looks SO delicious and beautiful! and those blueberries — yum! thanks for sharing such a tasty treat!

I’ve never had coconut oil, it’s been on my list of things to try!

susan of food blogga — June 6, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

I just wrote about that exact feeling the other day on Facebook. It seems to be contagious!

I love coconut in my granola, but have never tried it with the addition of coconut oil. What a great idea!

Homemade granola is always the best! Your version looks amazing! Beautiful shots too :)

jenna — June 6, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

perfect for summer snacking! the kiddo’s go crazy for yogurt and granola!

That pretty much describes my every day in a nutshell! This will make the perfect snack for me this summer! Love the addition of coconut.

nance — June 6, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

Mmmm I love Caleb. :)

“Do you ever have those days where you are super busy, but feel like you get nothing done? ” YES, like today. *sigh* This looks like my kind of oatmeal, I’m a little obsessed with everything coconut lately.

Julie @ Table for Two — June 6, 2012 @ 9:15 pm

I love how versatile this is and I love the coconut flavor! Can’t wait to share mine in a few weeks! I love that us bloggers think alike ;) xoxo

Baking Serendipity — June 6, 2012 @ 9:32 pm

I love granola…and coconut! This is the perfect combination! Those days where nothing gets accomplished drives me crazy! I hope tomorrow is more productive for you :)

Joanne — June 6, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

Sometimes, it’s better to just throw in the towel on to-dos and get in the kitchen. SO much more satisfying!

Maria, this is perfect timing! I have to make 10 mason jars full of granola for my soon to be sister in laws bridal shower this weekend and I’ve been looking and looking for a granola recipe that is simple and yet a little “different” than the usual. Found it! This will be mass produced this weekend :)

kitchen essence — June 7, 2012 @ 2:13 am

sorry this is my fifth comment but I jst lve it! I made a batch just the

20. Pingback: This and That | Two Peas & Their Pod

Pam — June 7, 2012 @ 11:07 am

I have days like that all the time! The granola looks amazing… I am a HUGE fan of coconut. I can’t believe I have never seen the coconut oil at TJ’s… I’ll be on the lookout.

yum!! love coconut :)

Ann P. — June 7, 2012 @ 7:50 pm

Oh me oh my, i LOVE the sound of coconut granola! Perfect addition to yogurt, as you said :)

Ruthy — June 7, 2012 @ 10:20 pm

Made it! Delish! Mine was darker than your picture tho – very delicious. Still working on the calorie content and portion size. If anyone else figured it out, please post!

I like the triple dose of coconut. Our girls have been going through so much granola lately, I think we need to try this recipe over the summer!

26. Pingback: The Weekend Dish: 6/9/2012

Michael @ BlueberryChuckle — June 10, 2012 @ 9:25 am

Yum! I have almost everything to make that! And I’ve been looking for a granola recipe with my yogurt and fruit in the morning! Thanks!

Esi — June 10, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

I love making granola. So many fun ways to change it up.

29. Pingback: Coconut granola

Deborah — June 11, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

I am a coconut lover, and am totally loving this!

Lisa — June 11, 2012 @ 10:44 pm

This was so yummy and easy to make. I plan to make another batch soon so I can give some away to neighbors and friends. Love your site!!!! Lisa

Sweetsugarbelle — June 12, 2012 @ 7:37 am

Bookmarked!!!

Josephine — June 12, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

I made this last evening and it was gone by this morning. So delicious! I’m planning to make a double batch this evening. Thanks for a yummy recipe!

gina @ skinnytaste — June 12, 2012 @ 10:00 pm

You had me at coconut!!! I MUST try this!!

Wish I had this for my yogurt!

36. Pingback: Throwback Thursday | After the Ivy League

Christi — June 15, 2012 @ 6:58 pm

I just made this for the 2rd time in one week! This recipe is absolutely divine. I love it! I completely recommend it. I am making a batch right now to give to my Dad for father’s day.

• Two Peas replied: — June 15th, 2012 @ 10:12 pm

It is my favorite granola recipe! Glad you like it too!

Emilee — June 15, 2012 @ 11:48 pm

I just made this and my whole family is in love with it! Awesome flavor, TY!!!!!

Melissa@ Kids in the Sink — June 23, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

I’m just making this now and it’s sooooooooo delicious! I didn’t have quite enough maple syrup so I was going to sub honey or agave nectar but I just decided to go with it since it has a little bit of brown sugar too and it’s plenty sweet with only 1/4 cup of maple syrup! Great recipe!

40. Pingback: Coconut Granola « Kids in the Sink