I don’t bake cakes very often because I don’t have the patience or talent for decorating. I do enjoy making sheet cakes though. They are easy to make and feed a crowd. My Chocolate Sheet Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting is one of my favorite desserts. I love the chocolate and peanut butter combo!
My blogging buddy, Jenny, is having a baby any day now and to celebrate we are throwing her a virtual shower today. YAY! Jenny loves Oreos so I decided to make a Cookies ‘n Cream Sheet Cake for her shower. I added Oreos into the chocolate cake and topped it with cream cheese frosting and Oreo cookie pieces. It is the perfect cake for celebrating!
The sheet cake is a breeze to bake and the frosting whips up in no time. You really can’t go wrong with chocolate, cream cheese frosting, and Oreos. Everyone will be begging for a slice. And the good thing about this cake is that it feeds the masses. It is the perfect cake for parties and potlucks.
The only problem with a virtual shower is you can’t actually have a piece of this Cookies ‘n Cream Sheet Cake. I guess I will have to eat it all by myself…maybe I will share with Josh:) I guess he can be invited to this baby shower!
Make sure you check out what everyone else made for Jenny’s shower! There are lots of tasty eats! Congratulations Jenny! We are so thrilled for you and your family! And Caleb can’t wait to have a little buddy:)
Cookies 'n Cream Sheet Cake
Yield: Serves 24
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Chocolate sheet cake with Oreos and cream cheese frosting! This cake is perfect for any party or get together!
For the Chocolate Sheet Cake:
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose Gold Medal flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup hot water
1 cup chopped Oreo cookies
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Oreo cookies, chopped-for topping the cake
1. To make the sheet cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a sheet pan with cooking spray and set aside. I use an 11 x 17 jelly roll pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
3. In a small sauce pan, melt the butter on medium-low heat. Whisk in the cocoa powder and hot water. Turn up the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the melted butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Stir in the egg mixture and mix until ingredients are combined. Stir in the chopped Oreo cookies.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared sheet pan and tap on the counter a few times to distribute the cake batter evenly. Bake the cake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
5. While the cake is baking, make the cream cheese frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, sifted powdered sugar, and vanilla together. Beat with the beater blade until smooth and creamy.
6. When the cake is completely cool, frost the cake with the cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle the cake with chopped up Oreo cookies. Cut into squares and serve.