Corn Chowder

First of all, thanks to everyone for your well wishes on our new baby! If you missed the announcement, you can catch up on our little pea here. We are all doing well and are smitten by our little baby boy.

Utah’s farmers markets are still going strong. We went to the market over the weekend and picked up a bunch of fresh produce to make a few meals. We used our fresh sweet corn to make a big pot of Corn Chowder. It is the perfect recipe to transition into fall. We were able to use fresh summer produce to make a comforting corn chowder.

This soup is loaded with vegetables-onion, celery, carrot, red pepper, Yukon Gold potatoes, poblano pepper, and of course sweet corn. We removed the corn kernels from the fresh ears of sweet corn, but didn’t discard the empty cobs.We placed the cobs in the pot with the rest of the vegetables and let the soup simmer away. The cobs added a little extra flavor. If you can’t find fresh sweet corn, you can use frozen corn or canned corn. The chowder will still be tasty:)

The chowder is creamy, thick, and filling. We made homemade buttermilk biscuits to go with the chowder. They were the perfect addition to this comforting and delicious meal. Josh topped his bowl off with shredded cheddar cheese, which made the chowder even more creamy and rich. If you are looking for a hearty fall meal, give this easy Corn Chowder a try.

Corn Chowder

Yield: Serves 6

2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 red pepper, seeds removed and diced
3 tablespoons minced poblano pepper
2 Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and diced
2 cups vegetable broth
3 ears sweet corn, kernels removed-save the empty cobs to put back in the pot (or 2 cups frozen or canned corn)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Shredded cheddar cheese-optional, for serving

1. In a large soup pot, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the celery, carrot, red pepper, poblano pepper, and potatoes. Add the vegetable broth and empty cobs of corn, if using, and cook until vegetables are tender. This will take about 10 minutes.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and milk. Pour mixture into the soup pot. Stir. Add in the corn kernels, thyme, salt, and pepper. Let the soup simmer for 20-30 minutes on the stove.

3. Remove empty cobs of corn, if using, and ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with cheddar cheese, if desired.

If you like this Corn Chowder, you might also like:

106 Responses to “Corn Chowder”

Katrina — September 29, 2011 @ 5:32 pm

Looks good!

Weekend Cowgirl — September 29, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

I LOVE corn chowder!!

Pamc — September 29, 2011 @ 7:27 pm

Bookmarked. This looks wonderful – perfect for this cooler weather.

Lori — September 29, 2011 @ 7:54 pm

This is a perfect soup for lounging around in your jammies and…you know…snuggling with a newborn! Congratulations!

Donna — September 29, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

A new baby AND corn chowder??? You are having a fabulous week! Just one question: are you changing the blog name to THREE Peas and Their Pod? Congrats to you both – he is beautiful!

vanillasugarblog — September 30, 2011 @ 7:55 pm

Mmmm I love this but its those biscuits with the jam I’m craving like NOW. lol

Congrats on your lil pea! September 27th is my birthday too. :)

Tammy — October 2, 2011 @ 1:13 am

If one uses canned corn, does it need to be drained? thank you. Tammy

Jana — October 2, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

Awesome recipe! I made it with original soymilk and was worried the sweeter, nutty taste would ruin it but it was still great. Felt warm and nourishing on a chilly Sunday night. Thanks!

10. Pingback: Rainy Day Corn Cowder « Fingerfoodie's Blog

11. Pingback: Chicken Corn Chowder « A Balanced Life Cooks

Martha — October 5, 2011 @ 10:00 am

Let me preface this with the fact that I have never eaten nor made corn chowder before. I am a corn fanatic though and knew I’d love it. My hubby and I teamed up to make this and it turned out just as amazing as I’d imagined. Filling yet light, sweet yet savory. Heaven. Simply heaven.

Bestfoodies — October 5, 2011 @ 4:03 pm

I love corn chowder and your recipe looks great. I am pinning it on Pinterest…hope mine turns out as good as yours looks!

• Two Peas replied: — October 6th, 2011 @ 11:25 am

Thanks for the pin:)

Julia — October 6, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

I just have to say that I love all your recipes. This soup is the first one that I made though. I’m in my last year at college and I’ve been getting so homesick (especially for my Mom’s corn chowder that she makes around this time every year). This soup was so easy! And it tastes just like my Mom’s and is just so comforting and healthy and delicious.

So, I thank you times a million for giving me a little piece of home :)

HJ — October 7, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

I made this tonight for dinner and it was PERFECT. Nobody could believe that it was made with milk (no cream) and only a few tablespoons of butter. I ended up swapping out half the vegetable stock for chicken because the only kind available at the store had tomato paste, which I’m not a big fan of, and it came out great. Nice recipe :)

Sarah — October 10, 2011 @ 6:14 pm

This is fabulous! I am a blog addict for recipes but this is my first time stumbling onto yours. I didn’t have the peppers (we may not even have the poblano pepper in NS) so I put some cayenne and curry in it. I’m enjoying a bowl of it as I type. Thanks!!

• Two Peas replied: — October 11th, 2011 @ 10:33 am

Glad you found our blog and glad you liked the corn chowder!

Marci — October 11, 2011 @ 9:14 am

I made this soup last night. It is SO yummy. I followed the instructions exactly. I recommend adding a little salt where indicated, then tasting it near the end to see if it needs more. Mine did. Now to make biscuits to go with it… Thank for the recipe!

18. Pingback: Corn Chowder « 4peatssake

kate — October 21, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

Made the soup and it’s delish!!! Thanks so much. Just one thing… it looks like you leave the ‘cob’ in the soup for flavour not the ‘ears’. The ears are what you take off the corn before you eat it (you know the things that look like rabbit ears that you throw away). I’m a stickler for detail. Thanks again. I’ll be back for more recipes.

• Two Peas replied: — October 21st, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

Thanks for pointing that out! I made the changes in the recipe:)

Susan — October 28, 2011 @ 1:55 am

Loved this! I subbed chicken stock and Anaheim chilis (instead of poblano) because that was what was on hand. Totally forgot to add the thyme and it still turned out great!! (And I had no idea there was a difference between an ear of corn and a corn cob. Who knew?!)

21. Pingback: Corn Chowder~Vegan |

Ashley — January 20, 2012 @ 9:39 am

Made this last night and loved it! I make your recipes all the time and they are always perfect. I am also a vegetarian, and I love how you cook food that happens to be veg., rather than cooking vegetarian food, if you know what I mean. That is how I cook as well. Anyway, thanks for keeping my family eating well! I check your blog every week before I go to the grocery store, it is wonderful!

23. Pingback: Sweet Corn Chowder Recipe | The Luxury Spot

Angela — February 10, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

Love this soup! Have made it for company twice and they loved it too. The only changes I made were to use olive oil instead of butter for sauteeing the veggies, and since I could not find the poblano peppers, I served shredded pepper jack cheese to sprinkle on top for a spicy accent. I did increase the amount of potatoes, just because I like them. A very hearty and delicious main dish soup!

25. Pingback: Money Tips - Just another WordPress site

26. Pingback: 25 Tasty Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipes | JACOb5's Reviews

27. Pingback: 25 Tasty Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipes | WebProject

28. Pingback: 25 Tasty Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipes | PFS

29. Pingback: Favorite Recipe Finds | Vegetarian Mamma

30. Pingback: Corn Chowder – #glutenfree #vegan | Vegetarian Mamma

31. Pingback: My Weekly Menu Plan 8/5 | Crafty Gourmet

32. Pingback: Dinner Menu: October Week 1 | Jodiann's Sky Pie

33. Pingback: 35 Vegetarian Dishes - Five in Ohio

Lisa Grant — October 18, 2012 @ 8:09 pm

I found this recipe when I searched for good vegetarian crock pot recipes. This is number one on one of the lists, but the directions do not mention a crock pot. I realize you have cooked this in a crock pot, but as I like to follow a recipe can you provide me with the crock pot version. Thanks!

• Two Peas replied: — October 18th, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

I haven’t made the chowder in a crock pot. Funny you found the recipe that way! I am sure you could though! I will have to try it too:)

35. Pingback: 30 Soup, Chili and Chowder Recipes | chef in training

Abby — November 27, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

Just made this tonight for my boyfriend and I. We both loved it! I used half the thyme because I had never cooked with it before and it was perfect! We will be making this again. Thanks for the recipe!

37. Pingback: Vegetarian Corn Chowder | Vylette

Erin — January 23, 2013 @ 7:17 pm

made this tonight, simple to put together and delicious : ) my three children gobbled it right up! perfect end to a very chilly New England day.

• Two Peas replied: — January 27th, 2013 @ 10:21 am

Yay! Glad they all liked it!

39. Pingback: My Weekly Menu Plan 8/19 | Crafty Gourmet