Cranberry Coffee Cake
Christmas is less than a week away. How did that happen? We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of my family. I do have a house to clean and there is always more baking to do, so hopefully the week will go by quickly. I love baking with fresh cranberries during the holiday season. I always make Fresh Cranberry Scones, but this year I also tried a new recipe-Cranberry Coffee Cake.
The fresh cranberries add a pop of color and tartness to the sweet cake. I added in a little orange zest to compliment the cranberries. Cranberry and orange always go well together. We love streusel anything at our house, so I had to add streusel to the middle and top of the cake. The streusel melts inside of the cake creating a sweet tunnel of yum! The streusel topping gives the cake a slight sweet crunch. Be prepared for streusel heaven!
If you have company coming, make this Cranberry Coffee Cake. It is good anytime of the day-for breakfast, brunch, tea time, or dessert. It is a nice festive cake to have around. Make your guests feel at home by letting them help themselves to a slice of Cranberry Coffee Cake. They may never leave:)
Thanks to everyone who has been participating in our holiday giveaways. Today is the last one! I know, sad..but today’s Kitchenaid 7-quart Mixer should cheer you up:) For details and to enter, visit this post. Good luck!
Cranberry Coffee Cake
Yield: Serves 9-12
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
This easy Cranberry Coffee Cake is made with Greek yogurt, fresh cranberries, and has a streusel filling and topping. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, tea time, or dessert.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
Zest of 1 large orange
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 cup plain Greek Yogurt (I used Chobani)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh cranberries
Streusel Filling and Topping:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set dry ingredients aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar and orange zest. Rub together with your fingers until fragrant. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar mixture until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beat until smooth. Beat in the Greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
4. Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Gently fold in the fresh cranberries.
5. To make the streusel topping and filling, place the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl and stir well with a wooden spoon. Work the butter into the mixture with your fingertips until evenly distributed.
6. Pour half of the coffee cake batter into the prepared cake pan and sprinkle with half of the streusel topping/filling. Spoon the remaining batter over the filling, spreading gently. Sprinkle with the remaining streusel.
7. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes. Cool to room temperature and serve.
If you like this Cranberry Coffee Cake, you might also like: