Crunchy Quinoa Granola

On Saturday morning Josh woke up early to play basketball with some of his neighborhood buddies. Caleb was sound asleep so I hopped on our elliptical downstairs. Caleb was still sleeping when I finished my workout, so I took advantage of the quiet house. I made a cup of tea and was going to enjoy a yogurt with granola, but our granola jar was empty. Boo!

So instead of sitting down to a peaceful breakfast, I made a batch of Crunchy Quinoa Granola. I love making homemade granola, so I wasn’t too disappointed we were out. I love starting my day in the kitchen.

I am obsessed with homemade granola and love creating new recipes. A few of my favorites include: Coconut Granola, Apple Cinnamon Granola, and Pumpkin Granola. I have been on a quinoa kick lately. Ok, the kick has lasted over a year now, I never get tired of quinoa. I decided to create a quinoa granola and I am so glad I did. This Crunchy Quinoa Granola is definitely a new favorite.

You don’t have to cook the quinoa for this granola recipe, just rinse it under cold water and drain it really well. I combined the quinoa with oats, almonds, pepitas, shaved coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, I whisked together applesauce, honey, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. I mixed everything together in one big bowl and spread the granola onto a large baking sheet.

I put the pan in the oven, set the timer, and heard Caleb talking in his room. I went and scooped Caleb out of his crib and fed him breakfast while my breakfast was baking.

When the granola was done baking, I tossed in dried cranberries and raisins. I let the granola cool for a few minutes and then filled my bowl. I was ready to eat. I enjoyed my granola with Chobani plain yogurt. It was SO good. I don’t know why I’ve waited this long to make quinoa granola. I love how crunchy it is!

And when Josh got home he was excited because the house smelled so good. Unfortunately, I couldn’t share my granola with him because he is allergic to nuts. Oops! I don’t feel too bad though because he stopped at the store and bought a doughnut. The perfect post workout breakfast? I don’t think so! My Crunchy Quinoa Granola is though! It is loaded with protein, fiber, and healthy fats!

I snacked on Crunchy Quinoa Granola all weekend long. I already need to make another batch. It is great with yogurt, a splash of cold milk, or eaten by the handful. Enjoy!

Crunchy Quinoa Granola

Yield: About 6 cups granola

Cook Time: 35-40 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

This healthy granola recipe is easy to make and the quinoa adds a nice crunch!

3/4 cup quinoa
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup pepitas
1/2 cup shaved coconut
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup natural applesauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup raisins

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.

2. Rinse the quinoa under cold water and drain well. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, oats, almonds, pepitas, shaved coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together applesauce, honey, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Pour the granola onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread into an even layer. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until granola is golden brown, stirring every 10 minutes or so.

4. Stir in the dried cranberries and raisins. Let granola cool completely. Store in an air-tight container for up to one month.

Note-to make the granola gluten-free, use gluten-free oats. To make the granola vegan, use agave instead of honey.

95 Responses to “Crunchy Quinoa Granola”

Madeleine @ Teenie Baker — January 7, 2013 @ 8:40 pm

Mmmm…this looks so good! I love cooking with quinoa, but I’ve never tried it in granola! Gotta try this one out :)

Aimee @ Simple Bites — January 7, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

Yum. Talk about goodness in a bowl.

Joanne — January 7, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

I’ve been looking for ways to use up both quinoa AND pepitas! This is such a win/win recipe! And the perfect breakfast.

Andrea — January 8, 2013 @ 9:20 am

Thanks so much for this recipe! I actually made it this morning to have this week with greek yogurt. It is incredibly tasty, but I would make one edit to your recipe. The amount of applesauce was a bit much and didn’t allow for my granola to ‘dry out’ in the oven as much as I would have liked. So I left it in a bit longer and it burnt!! It is still delicious and hearty (and I wasn’t throwing out those good and pricey ingredients!), but I would make sure that newbie granola makers (like myself) know that this does tend to dry out and crisp up a bit more once outside of the oven and that beyond 50 minutes it does tend to burn a bit in the oven. Or if you like a bit more dry mixture to use a bit less applesauce. Thanks again for sharing though! I will be making it again and again!

I’m totally intrigued by the quinoa! Plus, you can’t go wrong when your granola is so loaded with ‘extras’!

Shannon @ Skinny Sometimes — January 8, 2013 @ 11:30 am

I love the beautiful colors this has in it and an ingredient list that is easy to find in the grocery store.

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — January 8, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

I made your pumpkin granola and it turned out better than any granola attempts I’ve tried before! I actually have pepitas, quinoa, & dried cranberries sitting around so I may have to make this! I love having healthy things to snack on in the morning!

Sues — January 9, 2013 @ 12:01 am

I always put quinoa in my granola now! This one looks so delicious… And healthy. I’m excited to make a granola with coconut oil!

I love what you do with quinoa!! I was on such a kick in the summer and haven’t had very much since. This looks fantastic!

Interesting! Now I need to try adding quinoa to my granola!!

Carla @ Carlas Confections — January 9, 2013 @ 12:17 pm

All of these healthy recipes is making me ready for summer again! This granola looks so amazing. I love the quinoa and I just love how the chopped almonds look. So pretty! I wish I had all the ingredients on me now… maybe a trip to the store is in order

nest of posies — January 9, 2013 @ 12:46 pm

looks so good! beautiful pictures.

julia — January 9, 2013 @ 2:09 pm

thank you for the wonderful granola recipe! your use of applesauce is revolutionary to me. made it last night – delicious! thank you!

Meg @ Sweet Twist — January 9, 2013 @ 9:09 pm

Oh I love quinoa… sounds great!

15. Pingback: Quinoa Spinach Mac and Cheese | Quinoa Mac and Cheese Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

marla — January 11, 2013 @ 7:00 am

Linking back to this awesome recipe today :)

Kevin @ Closet Cooking — January 11, 2013 @ 9:50 am

I like the sound of a quinoa granola and it looks so good!

18. Pingback: Curry spiced Quinoa Granola – Light healthy snack « Zaika Zabardast

kristin — January 12, 2013 @ 8:30 pm

HI! I don’t have applesauce on hand and need/want to make this ASAP…Is the applesauce sub for more oil or sugar, or both??
    Thanks!

AC — January 13, 2013 @ 1:17 pm

This is a great recipe.
    The first batch was gone in three days.
    For the second batch I swapped out brown sugar with maple syrup.
    It was gone in a day.

21. Pingback: Quinoa Crunch with Dates | Going Cavewoman

Rachel Hof — January 18, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

Made it. Love it. I have learned so much from your blog. Thank you!

23. Pingback: Food,Fork,Plate & Handful of Joy – Quinoa Granola

Sharon B — January 24, 2013 @ 12:10 pm

I made this granola and love it. I would never have thought to use quinoa this way. I am a school nurse and love to take this for lunch. I also left my almonds in fairly big bits and so enjoy the crunch. Yum, one of my favorite lunches!

25. Pingback: Handleiding Quinoa van A tot Q! « Food before Brains

Amanda Cowan — January 25, 2013 @ 10:17 pm

I’m almost through the gingerbread granola I made last month (it wasn’t my favorite batch, so it’s taking awhile to get through) and we just gave up meat so what an excellent way to get in extra protein in a method we’re already used to eating lots of! Woohoo! So excited to try this out!

27. Pingback: Food,Fork,Plate & Handful of Joy – Quinoa Granola

28. Pingback: No Ordinary Granola | thefatcamel

Vanessa — February 21, 2013 @ 7:21 pm

Hi!
    What is ”pepitas” in french??
    Thanks a lot!!!

• Two Peas replied: — February 21st, 2013 @ 7:25 pm

Pepitas are pumpkin seeds:)

Leila — February 22, 2013 @ 3:58 pm

I would never think to use quinoa in this way! Thanks for the inspiration! This looks AWESOME!

Stephanie — February 23, 2013 @ 10:21 pm

A friend of mine let me try some of this last week and I fell in love and have been craving it ever since! I bought the ingredients today and made a batch cooking for 35 minutes, til it was golden. It is now completely cool but is soggy, not crunchy. Any idea what I did wrong? I was looking forward to having this in my yogurt tomorrow! If it matters, I substituted sunflower seeds for pepitas and added some flax seed. I wouldn’t think either of those would have an effect of the outcome though.

32. Pingback: Country Cleaver Chai Spiced Granola » Country Cleaver

33. Pingback: Healthy Breakfast Options « Wolmed Blog

Janna L — March 6, 2013 @ 1:30 am

This was my first shot at homemade granola, and WOW! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe! I love that it has applesauce in it, and the quinoa makes it so crunchy! I’ve made it several times now, and just bought a special jar for my granola stash :) Thanks again for sharing!

caroline — March 16, 2013 @ 11:28 pm

i just made this today. i’ve never attempted granola before. but miss it so much, because my son has peanut allergies. the only granolas i’ve come across peanut free are loaded with sugar. this is so healthy, and delish! thanks for the recipe. i will always keep this on hand.

Pam — March 18, 2013 @ 1:58 pm

This is awesome! I made some last night, but left out the cranberries and raisins. I topped with greek yogurt and fresh blueberries. Yum!

37. Pingback: A New Take on Homemade Granola: Quinoa Granola with Raisinets « Nestlé Kitchens

38. Pingback: Spiced Granola Breakfast Cookie Recipe

39. Pingback: Breakfast For Your Work Week: Yogurt Parfait | Sade Wellness

Janna L — April 11, 2013 @ 6:10 pm

I absolutely love this recipe! I usually tweak recipe to my liking, but this one is perfection!! It was my first attempt at homemade granola and I’ll never go back! My hubby is ready to ditch cereals altogether because he loves this so much. I had to buy a special {huge} jar to keep it in, but the jar never stays full for long :) I’ve found that leaving it in the oven for a while after I turn it off makes the granola extra cruncy and delightful! I love this unique use of quinoa, thanks for an awesome recipe!