Easy Vegetarian Chili

Easy Vegetarian Chili

Super Bowl XLV is less than a week away. Even if you aren’t a Steelers or Packers fan, you can still enjoy Super Bowl Sunday. Good food and friends make the day fun and the television commercials are always entertaining. We are having friends over to watch the big game and of course there will be a big spread of food. Today we are sharing some of our all time favorite Super Bowl recipes and a new favorite, Easy Vegetarian Chili.

Vegetarians and meat lovers will enjoy this chili. It is hearty, filling, and easy to prepare. You can even make this chili recipe the day before so you don’t have to fuss with it on game day. Just reheat it on the stove when you are ready. This vegetarian chili is very satisfying.  It will fill you up all by itself, but we always like to serve it with tortilla chips or corn muffins.

If you are looking for other football friendly recipes, here are a few of our favorites:

Enjoy the game!

Easy Vegetarian Chili

Yield: Serves 6

This vegetarian chili is easy to make and will warm you up on a cold day! It freezes well too, so double the batch and save some for later!

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, diced, seeds removed
3 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
2 (15 oz.) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until light brown, about 2-3 minutes. Add carrot, celery, peppers, and jalapeno. Cook for five minutes, or until vegetables are soft.

2. Stir in diced tomatoes, beans, and water. Season chili with cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir and let chili simmer for 30 minutes. Stir chili frequently so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Serve hot.

*Note-serve with chips or cornbread, if desired. This chili also freezes beautifully.

If you like this Easy Vegetarian Chili, you might also like:

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup from Two Peas and Their Pod
Spicy Vegetarian Chili from Simply Recipes
Smoky Black Bean & Corn Vegetarian Chili from Cookin’ Canuck
Three Bean Vegetarian Chili from Pinch My Salt

74 Responses to “Easy Vegetarian Chili”

Lacey @ dishfolio — February 1, 2011 @ 8:55 pm

That chili looks so great! We’d love for you to share the recipe at dishfolio.com.

Kristen — February 2, 2011 @ 7:52 am

What a great vegetarian recipe… I love beans!

naomi — February 2, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

Love chili and always love a good vegetarian one as well! Great for a cold day and game day this weekend!

4. Pingback: Tips, Tricks and Recipes for Hosting a Successful Super Bowl Party « Mom it Forward

Barbara @moderncomfortfood — February 11, 2011 @ 9:16 am

My husband stopped eating beef a while back, which left me in something of a panic about how to get my beloved chili onto the dinner table. What a perfect, delicious solution you’ve offered here that’s sure to make both of us very happy indeed!

marla — September 9, 2011 @ 9:36 am

Thanks M, just added this link to today’s upcoming post :) xo

7. Pingback: Three Bean & Sweet Potato Chili

8. Pingback: Fast Gluten-Free Lunches | Punchfork Blog

9. Pingback: A Sunday Recipe: Vegetarian Chili | Marie, Oh Marie

10. Pingback: Le Creuset Giveaway | Two Peas & Their Pod

Kia — January 2, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

I love this recipe. I want to try and make this soon. Maybe this week, I’ll come back with how it turned out!

12. Pingback: Chili Hugs | ittybitsofbalance

vicki — January 8, 2012 @ 7:13 pm

this chili is currently cooking on my stove……it smells great in here btw…..i did, however, make a few changes cuz i used what i had on hand……no red pepper, added only half a carrot, added a handful of feozen edamame, only one can of each beans, and includeda small can of green chilis and some hull-less barley and frozen pearl onions…….my teenage son just downed two bowls……can’t get much better than that….thanks for the inspiration

• Two Peas replied: — January 8th, 2012 @ 10:55 pm

So glad you liked the chili.

14. Pingback: Healthy Super Bowl Recipes: A Roundup

15. Pingback: Roundup of Healthy Super Bowl Recipes - Jeanette's Healthy Living

Hillary — February 19, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

Just made this. While it smells delicious, it is very spicy. Next time I will add less cumin and maybe only half a jalapeno.

17. Pingback: Vegetarian Quinoa Chili Recipe | Vegetarian Chili Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

Emily — May 3, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

I made this chili last night and it was fantastic! Used crushed tomatoes instead of diced since I didn’t have any on hand. It was so easy to make and so flavorful! Absolutely love your recipes! Thanks for posting.

Caterina — October 29, 2012 @ 6:01 pm

great recipe but 4 cups of water was way too much. i cut it down to 2 cups. it was soupy with 4 cups.

Dawn — November 9, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

I made this last night to a T and it came out PERFECT. It was so delicious and I cannot wait to make it again! Great recipe. Post to come soon on dawnbydawn.com

21. Pingback: veggie chili + cornbread | dawnbydawn

22. Pingback: Super Bowl Recipes for Your Thermador Kitchen : Thermador Home Appliance Blog

MaryBeth — February 11, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

I am making this tonight! Thanks for the easy recipe!
    xoxoMB

Shannon O. — March 5, 2013 @ 11:44 am

Oooh, this looks amazing! One question: How many does it serve? I need to fee six hungry rowers. : )

• Two Peas replied: — March 5th, 2013 @ 2:35 pm

It feeds 6, but if they are big eaters, you might want to double it. Or serve cornbread and salad with it!

Alyshia — June 13, 2013 @ 9:23 pm

Love this recipe ! Only thing I did different was add 1t. of cayenne pepper because I love it :). I was wondering if you by any chance know what the nutritional info/calories per serving of this chili is?

Lisa — August 19, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

I made this tonight and it was delicious! My husband loved it! And I love your website! Thanks for sharing your great recipes… Lisa (and Jose) :-)

27. Pingback: 5 Healthy Takes on Classic Comfort Foods | eGreenLife

28. Pingback: Healthy Green Kitchen Food Bloggers' Favorite Chili Recipes » Healthy Green Kitchen

Jason — November 23, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

Love this! Yummy! Simple! This is our new “go to” chili.

30. Pingback: 5 Healthy Takes on Classic Comfort Foods | Julie Eng

This is the most delicious chili. We just scoured the web to find it again. Made it once before and just loved! Thanks for posting it!!! <3<3<3

32. Pingback: Easy Vegetarian Chili | A Spoonful of Cinnamon