Eggs Benedict

Josh has been bringing me breakfast in bed almost every morning. I am one spoiled pregnant lady. He offers to fix elaborate breakfasts, but I usually only feel like cereal. A bowl of Cheerios with banana slices, strawberries, and blueberries is my “go to” breakfast lately. I think Josh was getting bored with cereal because one morning he made Eggs Benedict for himself.

There are a few steps involved when making Eggs Benedict. Josh started by making the Hollandaise sauce. This was his first time making the rich, buttery sauce, but it came out perfectly. He also fried up some Canadian bacon and carefully poached eggs. Once everything was ready, he toasted an English muffin and topped it with the goods-bacon, poached eggs, and Hollandaise sauce. He also sprinkled chives on the top for color. I was impressed with his breakfast and he licked his plate clean.

If you usually only order Eggs Benedict at a restaurant, try making it at home for a special breakfast. Eggs Benedict would also be a great addition to your Easter breakfast or brunch menu this year.

Print Print

Eggs Benedict
For the Hollandaise Sauce:

4 egg yolks
½ cup very hot water
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ cups clarified butter

Over medium heat, in the top of a double boiler, add egg yolks, cayenne, salt, and ½ of the water. Stir until mixture reaches the consistency of mayonnaise. Remove from heat. Alternating the water and butter, starting with the water, slowly add the remaining hot water and butter, whisking constantly, until gone. Adding more water will thin the sauce, adding more butter will thicken the sauce. The sauce will get thicker the longer it sits. Keep the sauce warm until ready to serve.

For the poached eggs:

2 large fresh eggs
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar

Fill a large saucepan with 3 inches of water. Bring water to a gentle simmer, then add the vinegar. Carefully break eggs into simmering water. Cook for about 3 minutes. Yolks should still be soft in center. Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon and gently place them on a plate. Keep eggs warm until serving.

To finish the Eggs Benedict:

2 pieces Canadian bacon
1 English muffin
Softened butter, for spreading on English muffin
1 tablespoon chopped chives

Brown the Canadian bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and toast the English muffins.

Spread toasted muffins with softened butter, and top each muffin half with a slice of bacon and one poached egg. Drizzle with Hollandaise sauce and sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately.

Serves 1 with leftover Hollandaise sauce

If you like this Eggs Benedict recipe, you might also like:

Dungeness Crab Eggs Benedict from Wives with Knives
Asparagus Eggs Benedict from A Veggie Venture
Eggs Benedict-Cali Style from Soupbelly

80 Responses to “Eggs Benedict”

Courtney — April 2, 2011 @ 8:19 am

Oh my, who needs to go out when you can make it at home is right! :) Hope you’re feeling well!!

Katrina — April 2, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

This is one of my all time favorite breakfast! Love this.

Andrea @ Vegvacious — April 2, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

Breakfast in bed?! Wow, you certainly are one lucky girl! That breakfast looks delicious ~ my mom & husband love eggs benedict, so I am bookmarking this to make for them :-)

Erica — April 3, 2011 @ 2:51 am

What a sweet man! I’m loving that hes making you breakfast :)

Barbara Bakes — April 3, 2011 @ 6:19 am

That’s an impressive breakfast!

a frog in the cottage — April 3, 2011 @ 6:45 am

eggs benedict are a pure delight !! lucky you !!

Christina — April 3, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

Ooo…your husband is amazing. This look insanely delicious!

Tickled Red — April 3, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

Beautiful plate to wake up to in the morning. Love the Canadian bacon!

Amanda — April 3, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

Major yum! I love eggs for breakfast, any style. You have such a sweet husband!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners — April 5, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I ate nothing but frozen peas for a while there. Your appetite will come back, specially once you start breast feeding.

• twopeas replied: — April 6th, 2011 @ 7:33 am

Thanks so much!

domenica — April 5, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

ciaoo i tried your recipe tonight is amazing thank you to share with us……

• twopeas replied: — April 6th, 2011 @ 7:33 am

Glad you liked the recipe!

domenica — April 5, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

ciaoo i tried your recipe tonight is amazing thank you to share with us…

Chez Us — April 11, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

I am so behind, in reading my fave sites, and clearly I have missed the news. CONGRATS!!!!! I am so happy for you both. This is really amazing news. When is the big day?? Boy? Girl? I cannot wait to hear all about it. :)

Wenderly — April 17, 2011 @ 7:17 am

Beautiful! I want THAT right now!!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — April 17, 2011 @ 7:51 am

I want that for breakfast right now!

Chris @nestlefoodie — April 17, 2011 @ 8:04 am

What a wonderful husband you have (love that he brings you breakfast in bed). And the fact that he can cook, wow! This Eggs Benedict will be a perfect addition to Easter!

John Monday — June 9, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

I know a lot of folks who don’t eat eggs (they’re allergic, for health reasons, or concerns about animal cruelty). Here’s an awesome site that gives tips on cooking and baking without eggs: http://EggFreeLiving.com

18. Pingback: ParentMap.com - ParentMap.com

Charlie — August 24, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

Hello: Love your blog.

I’m Canadian and this definitely not Canadian bacon (I call it rubber ham).

For true Canadian bacon you want to get “Pealmeal Bacon”
    It is one of the true things we can call Canadian.

I really encourage you to look it up online.

It can be ordered online. Believe me it is well worth the price.

Once you have it, there is no turning back.

Charlie — August 24, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

Oh! You do not want to brown it!

cook slowly in frying pan with butter until heated through, turning halfway through.

Takes maybe a minute or two. The juicier the better.

Lauren@KidEats — December 28, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

I love your site – thanks for sharing all of the great recipes. I made Eggs Benedict for the whole family for Christmas brunch this year – it was so good! I make mine with a ‘light’ Hollandaise sauce, prosciutto instead of canadian bacon, and tomatoes!

katlynscanlon — February 27, 2012 @ 4:01 pm

wow had to do this for a reach sherh

Ellen — March 19, 2012 @ 10:35 am

Oh man, this looks wonderful! I’m doing this for my sister’s birthday breakfast, and I’m wondering if the hollandaise sauce would be enough for six servings? Or should it be doubled? And is it okay to cook the eggs a bit longer? My sister doesn’t like runny yolks :)

• Two Peas replied: — March 19th, 2012 @ 10:54 am

It makes enough for six servings, unless you really like hollandaise-then you could double it. You can cook the eggs longer, if you wish!

Nancy — April 3, 2012 @ 8:26 am

If any of you have a hard time poaching eggs like I do, this weekend I tried poaching them in a muffin tin in the oven and it worked GREAT! I had 6 beautifully poached eggs that looked and tasted amazing!! wonderful way if you’re making Eggs Benedict for several people.

25. Pingback: National Eggs Benedict Day | RecipeLionBlog

Nathan — April 16, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

We featured this awesome recipe in a blog post. You can check it out here.

Thanks for all for all of the great recipes!

• Two Peas replied: — April 16th, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

Thank you!

Mi Vida en un Dulce — April 16, 2012 @ 5:52 pm

I always wanted to know how to make Eggs Benedict. I used to have it when visitng some fancy hotel, but never at home. To be honest, I tried only once to make Hollandaise sauce and was terrible, so never try after that.
    But I think I can give myself a chance to make it again.

28. Pingback: 21 Tasty and Cost-Effective Breakfast for Dinner Ideas | personal fincance

Lois Mazza — May 5, 2012 @ 7:20 am

Hi: is it one and a half ‘cups’ or one and a half sticks of butter for the sauce? One and a half cups would be three sticks of butter which is even too much for butter fat lover such as myself! Even one and half sticks is a lot but I love eggs benedict and want to make it so I will bite the butter bullet so to speak!
    Good luck with the new baby!

• Two Peas replied: — May 6th, 2012 @ 12:30 am

It is 1 1/2 cups clarified butter-in the liquid form.

30. Pingback: Pinspiration: Mother’s Day Gift Ideas

31. Pingback: Asparagus, Spinach, & Feta Quiche Recipe | Vegetarian Quiche | Two Peas & Their Pod

32. Pingback: Eggs Benedict | sarah kate style