Fresh Cranberry Scones

Fresh Cranberry Scones

I love Christmas morning. When I was little I used to stay up all night anxiously awaiting for Santa to come down our chimney. I was too excited to sleep. I had to drag my family  members out of bed every year to see what surprises were left under the tree. I still get butterflies every Christmas morning, there is something magical about the holiday. I also get excited about Christmas morning breakfast. We always have something special. This year I am going to make fresh cranberry scones.

After opening presents, we always enjoy a tasty Christmas breakfast. This year fresh cranberry scones are on the menu. These scones are festive and simple to make. The fresh cranberries are tart and add a nice pop of holiday color. The scones are tender and sweet and will make your house smell amazing on Christmas morning. Serve with jam, butter, or dunk them in your favorite tea or coffee.

If you are looking for a special breakfast treat, try these fresh cranberry scones on Christmas morning. I don’t know what I more excited for now, Santa or fresh cranberry scones:)

Here are a few other Christmas morning breakfast ideas:

Fresh Cranberry Scones

2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries

Topping:

2 tablespoons half and half
Turbinado sugar

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, set aside.

2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. In a small bowl, rub the sugar and orange zest together with your fingers. Whisk into the flour mixture.

3. Add cold butter pieces to the flour mixture. Cut in butter using a pastry blender, fork, or your hands. I prefer to use my hands. Mix until you have pea size chunks of butter.

4. In a small glass measuring cup, whisk the half and half, eggs, and vanilla extract together. Pour over dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until moist. Gently stir in the fresh cranberries. Transfer dough to a floured countertop and knead until dough comes together.

5. Shape dough into a large circle. Use a floured rolling pin to roll out the scone dough. Cut dough into wedges and place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush each scone with half and half and sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until scones are golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.

*Note-these scones are best eaten the day they are made. Serve with jam, butter, or enjoy plain.

If you like these fresh cranberry scones, you might also like:

Cranberry Orange Scones from Two Peas and Their Pod
Cranberry Scones from What’s Gaby Cooking?
Buttermilk Cranberry Scones from Pinch My Salt

81 Responses to “Fresh Cranberry Scones”

Roz — December 21, 2010 @ 8:15 am

These would be wonderful for Christmas, and WELL into the New Year too. Hope you both have a very Merry Christmas!

Camala - CC Recipe — December 21, 2010 @ 8:29 am

Just perfect for Christmas Morning, they are so pretty, the bright red just pops right out!

Georgia Pellegrini — December 21, 2010 @ 11:24 am

Moist and colorful scones…with a warm cup of tea or coffee it would be the perfect pair. Thanks for the great recipe!

Sharron Clemons — December 21, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

These look great for Christmas morning, Maria! With a hot cup of coffee, mm. :)

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — December 21, 2010 @ 7:57 pm

Wow, what gorgeous scones. The fresh cranberries add so much color to the scones. Oh and they look sooooo good. Thanks for the list of Christmas morning breakfast ideas, I’m going to take a look at them. They all sound delicious! :)

grace — December 21, 2010 @ 11:23 pm

cranberries might as well not exist without orange–they need each other. :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — December 26, 2010 @ 4:59 pm

These scones look fabulous! I have lots of cranberries stockpiled in my freezer, so I’ll save this recipe for a cold January morning for breakfast :)

8. Pingback: Eggnog Scones | recipegirl.com

Anna — December 27, 2010 @ 10:43 am

These look absolutely delicious! I love cranberries and oranges, so I can’t wait to try making this!

Pretty! Pretty!

valerie — December 29, 2010 @ 11:14 am

These look pretty incredible.

Jen @ Beantown Baker — December 30, 2010 @ 8:11 pm

What pretty scones!

Kate — January 1, 2011 @ 5:05 am

Is it okay to substitute milk for the half and half?

• twopeas replied: — January 1st, 2011 @ 10:53 am

I have never tried using milk. I know heavy cream works, if you want to use milk, go with a 2% milk.

14. Pingback: Our Share of the Harvest » Cranberry Scones

Janessa — January 8, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

Do you think I could freeze the scones, unbaked and individually wrapped? I don’t think I’d eat them all in one day

• twopeas replied: — January 8th, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

I have never tried freezing them, but I am sure it would work! Let me know if you try it!

Christine Bongiovanni — January 11, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

These were good, thank you for the recipe! I added walnuts and processed the dry ingredients with butter in food processor.

Christine Bongiovanni — January 11, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

…and I froze half the batch, they’ll be fine I’m sure, I’ve frozen blueberry scones in the past with no problem!

• twopeas replied: — January 12th, 2011 @ 6:44 am

Blueberry scones sound fantastic! Glad you liked them!

Deepali — November 29, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

hi!very nice recipe!mouth watering. but can i omit eggs in the recipes?or is there an egg substitute?and if so what measurements to take?i love your recipes but some of them have eggs which i cannot use as i am a vegetarian. plz help!

• Two Peas replied: — November 29th, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

I haven’t tried using anything to substitute the eggs, sorry! Let me know if you try anything.

janis — December 3, 2011 @ 11:30 am

How do you think these scones would come out if I used whole cranberry sauce?

• Two Peas replied: — December 3rd, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

I have never used cranberry sauce, but you can try it. It might turn the scones a reddish color. Try to fold it in gently. Let me know how it goes!

Melanie {adorkable recipes} — December 8, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

Made this last minute this morning and they were amazing (and easy!) Thanks!

21. Pingback: 7 Yummy Christmas Morning Breakfast Ideas | Cocktails With Mom

22. Pingback: Cranberry Coffee Cake Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

Tania — July 19, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

Just took my scones out of the oven and am trying it out. DELICIOUS! i made it with lemon zest and blueberries instead of the cranberry and they turned out great. a good dense scone.
    Thank you!

• Two Peas replied: — July 20th, 2012 @ 8:44 am

You are very welcome!

24. Pingback: Craisin scones | Diary of a Teenage Baker

Melissa @ Bless This Mess — December 15, 2012 @ 11:26 am

I have a half bag of fresh berries I’ve been trying to decide what to make with. Now I know!

Hollie — December 17, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

How thick do you roll the dough out?

• Two Peas replied: — December 17th, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

Roll out the dough to about a 1/2 inch.

Shannon — December 18, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

I also made these last night. I love that they aren’t too sweet! Delicious scone. Fresh cranberries are definitely the way to go! Another great recipe!

Ashley Moraes — December 27, 2012 @ 8:51 pm

Made these tonight and they were perfect! The cranberries are tart but the scone itself has plenty of sweetness to balance it out. Next time I will make the cranberries sugared. :)

29. Pingback: Monday Menu ~ Cranberry Orange Scones - With Just a Bit of Magic

Jennifer — November 24, 2013 @ 9:34 am

Made these this morning and they are spot on! I added some almond slivers for an extra crunch; next time I think a little icing might put these over the top. Thanks for the recipe!

Lin — January 7, 2014 @ 4:12 pm

I just made these. They are amazing! I had intended to make them for Christmas morning but I ran out of time. I know, what a surprise! Thank you for a lovey recipe! <3

32. Pingback: Orange Cranberry Scones | Kimmy's Bake Shop