Green Smoothie

Yesterday I did my usual Body Combat workout at Dash Fitness and came home and made one of my favorite post workout snacks-a Green Smoothie. I posted the photo on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook and got several requests for the recipe. So today I am sharing my favorite Green Smoothie recipe. Some people call the Green Smoothie a Green Monster, but I like to refer to mine as the Green Goblin:)

If you haven’t tried a Green Smoothie before, don’t be afraid. I promise this smoothie is tasty. Don’t be frightened by the green color or the spinach. You can’t even taste the spinach. It blends right in with the other flavors, you won’t even know it is there. For my smoothie, I use an orange, half of a banana, 6 large strawberries, a few handfuls of spinach, Greek yogurt, and ice. I use plain Greek yogurt, it is my personal favorite, but any plain yogurt will do. I blend everything together in our Blendtec blender and it is ready in no time. This recipe makes 2 servings, so I put one in the freezer for later.

If you are trying to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet, give this Green Smoothie a go. It is easy to make and is loaded with all kinds of good for you ingredients. I love sipping on a “Green Goblin” after my workouts. This smoothie is also great for breakfast or a healthy snack. Enjoy!

Green Smoothie

Yield: 2 servings

This simple Green Smoothie is a great way to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet. I promise it is delicious and nutritious!

1 large orange, peeled and segmented
1/2 of a large banana, cut into chunks
6 large strawberries
2 cups spinach
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup ice

1. Put all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.

Note-I use our Blendtec Blender which is a very powerful machine. Make sure you use a powerful blender that will puree the orange, spinach, ice, etc. I like to store one serving of the smoothie in the freezer for later. Pour in an air-tight container and freeze. Make sure you take the smoothie out of the freezer about 30 minutes before you want to drink it. You can also store the smoothie in the refrigerator.

If you like this Green Smoothie, you might also like:

Yum Pin It

250 Responses to “Green Smoothie”

1. Cara — January 16, 2012 @ 10:46 pm

I’ve been throwing big handfuls of kale in my chocolate protein shakes and affectionately referring to them as Shrek smoothies. There is really no other way to describe the color ;) But I agree, shakes and smoothies are a wonderful way to get in some extra greens!

2. Esi — January 16, 2012 @ 11:27 pm

Love this smoothie. I need to try one soon.

3. sweetsugarbelle — January 16, 2012 @ 11:31 pm

Goth the ingredients as soon as I read this. Told the kids they were Hulk smoothies. When I asked my oldest what he wanted to take for his class treat Thursday {his birthday} GUESS what he asked for, LOL!!!! GREAT recipes

4. Two Peas — January 17, 2012 @ 12:04 am

I love the Hulk smoothies! So fun! I am so glad the kids enjoyed the smoothies and Happy Birthday to your little man!

5. marla — January 17, 2012 @ 9:18 am

Such a great green smoothie! Must try :)

6. Andrea — January 17, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

I love green smoothies :) So refreshing! I have a question for your recipe though, why is this two servings? One serving for me usually has this much plus some.

7. Two Peas — January 17, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

It is two servings for me, but if you want to drink it all, go for it:)

8. DessertForTwo — January 17, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

I’m a green smoothie addict! I do frozen banana, scoop of almond butter, almond extract, almond milk & spinach. On Fridays, I add a scoop of cocoa powder. Add Stevia or honey to taste! :)

9. Laura — January 17, 2012 @ 3:39 pm

Have you (or any other readers) ever made one with frozen spinach? I love green smoothies, but don’t always have fresh greens in the house.

To answer another commenter- I’ve tried smoothies with lots of different greens: chard, kale, etc and they are all good! If you use kale, you can taste it more than with spinach or chard, but it’s not bad. I find myself using a little bit less when I use kale, though. Chard is great!

10. Emma — January 20, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

I love Smoothies, make one every morning for breakfast. Spinach in Smoothies is great. You get the benefits without the taste ;) I did a similar version: spinach, blueberries, strawberries, banana, jogurt and some orange juice. I was a bit skeptikal. The blueberries turned the smoothie brown, not quite appetizing to the eye. But it was delish! I drank both servings nearly in one go:)
    I use frozen spinach (half or completly defrosted) and mainly frozen berries/fruit. I’ve always got a stach of frozen fruit in the freezer but hardly never icecubes.

11. Winnie — January 22, 2012 @ 5:24 pm

Maria this smoothie looks delicious- now I know what I am having for breakfast tomorrow ;) Thanks for linking to my green smoothie, too!

12. Let Me Eat Cake — January 22, 2012 @ 11:33 pm

i’ve definitely been toying with the idea of green smoothies and juices you may have inspired me to give it a go. this recipe doesn’t seem as scary as i thought excited to give it a go :)

13. Charlene Austin — January 29, 2012 @ 10:12 pm

I love Green Smoothies. It’s my daily addiction lately. I found the more I had them the I liked more veggies than fruit in mine. My current favourite has 1 cup packed spinach, 1 stalk celery (with leaves), 1/2 cucumber (incl skin), 1 cup pineapple, 1 cup frozen mango, chia seeds and veggie based protein powder. The cucumber is the prominent flavour and it is so fresh and not sweet. I think it’s because I over did it on the banana, strawberry version for a while that I am enjoying the change. Oh and don’t forget a cup of ice to make it nice and cold. I use 1 cup of water and I have a Vitamix which is the best thing I’ve ever bought. This makes me 4 cups which I drink over the course of lunch and the afternoon. Have you seen Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? Very inspiring.

14. Alicia Foster — February 1, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

I also use more vegetables in my smoothies, than fruit. I feel it’s a great way to get most of your vegetables done with first thing in the morning and then you have more fun healthy carb/protein options for the rest of the day. My favorite is is AVOCADO, CUCUMBER (peeled if not organic), GREEN APPLE, CELERY, KALE, LEMON JUICE, AGAVE SYRUP, COCONUT JUICE and ICE. It is creamy and so filling. The green apples really shine through and make it a slightly sweet, tart, savory blend.

15. Roxanne — February 2, 2012 @ 11:42 am

Loved it! I have now made it several times, only switching up the spinach and using sometimes kale or red organic chard. But I never though of putting greek yogurt in before! Thanks!

16. Two Peas — February 2, 2012 @ 10:38 pm

Glad you liked the smoothie!

17. Pingback: This week’s {mostly} gluten-free menu :: Money Saving Mom®

18. Tricia — February 7, 2012 @ 4:52 pm

Half of an avocado instead of the yogurt makes it really smooth. You can’t taste it, either. This has been my new addiction!

19. Lindsie — February 9, 2012 @ 10:09 am

I made this for breakfast. Didn’t have strawberries but added some avocado, honey and a bit of freshly ground ginger instead. Yum!! Thank you!

20. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday

21. Pingback: Pineapple Mango Green Smoothie

22. Pingback: Pineapple Mango Green Smoothie Recipe | Green Smoothie | Two Peas & Their Pod

23. Pingback: Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and Banana Smoothie | Make and Takes

24. Pingback: Some Healthy Things | The Green Lemon

25. Adrea — February 26, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

Do you have an idea for someone who can’t drink almond milk for making a smoothie? I like yogurt and I thought of doing milk instead and see lots of people do almond milk.. But due to a nut allergy that’s not an option for me… Thanks for the help!

26. Two Peas — February 26, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

You can use regular milk, soy milk, coconut milk, rice milk, etc.

27. gina @ skinnytaste — February 29, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

Ooh orange, I have to try that version : )

28. Angela — March 2, 2012 @ 2:51 am

For vegans, can I use something in lieu of the Greek yogurt?

29. Pingback: Around the Web: Green Smoothie Recipes | SocialCafe Magazine

30. Pingback: Creamy Avocado Yogurt Dip Recipe | Avocado Dip Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

31. meeshapie — March 10, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

Any suggestions for replacing the orange? I’m allergic! I’d be more sad about that if oranges didn’t make me sick. :)

32. Pingback: Whipping Up Green Drinks to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day « CLPTeensburgh: Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Teen Services

33. Pingback: Green Smoothies with Spinach and Blueberries - The Hazel Bloom

34. Pingback: The Power Green « Happy Andersons

35. Gena B — March 17, 2012 @ 10:59 am

Ooh, yummy! I’m going to have to try this. And thank you so much for NOT using green food coloring….so many recipes call for it and it’s unnecessary.

36. Cassandra Bishop — March 21, 2012 @ 9:00 am

I’ve been on a huge green smoothie kick for quite some time now. I’ve never used an orange though! It sounds delicious. I normally use 1//2 banana, two handfuls of spinach, a handful of strawberries, some greek yogurt, almond milk, sometimes a little honey and a scoop of peanut butter. I’ll definitely try it with an orange next time!

37. Pingback: The Novice Chef » Wannabe Green Smoothie

38. Anne — March 24, 2012 @ 9:01 am

I just made this green smoothie and had to use orange juice perhaps that is why mine is not a vibrant green but never the less it is delicious I found myself a new drink! Thanks!

39. Kristin — April 1, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

Made this smoothie today for the first time and it is DELICIOUS! Mine didn’t turn out as light green pretty as yours though – its the color of split pea soup … but I can taste the fruit (especially the orange) through the spinach. Love that is it is healthy and tasty, especially using the spinach. Thanks so much for sharing this great smoothie recipe! Love smoothies!

40. Monica — April 3, 2012 @ 9:14 am

Very informatiive post. It’s encouraging to see more and more folks promoting the adding green smoothies to a healthy lifestyle.

I have lots of green smoothie recipes compiled on my site LittleGreenSmoothie.com
    I hope your readers will enjoy them

Thanks and have a green day.