Green Smoothie

Yesterday I did my usual Body Combat workout at Dash Fitness and came home and made one of my favorite post workout snacks-a Green Smoothie. I posted the photo on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook and got several requests for the recipe. So today I am sharing my favorite Green Smoothie recipe. Some people call the Green Smoothie a Green Monster, but I like to refer to mine as the Green Goblin:)

If you haven’t tried a Green Smoothie before, don’t be afraid. I promise this smoothie is tasty. Don’t be frightened by the green color or the spinach. You can’t even taste the spinach. It blends right in with the other flavors, you won’t even know it is there. For my smoothie, I use an orange, half of a banana, 6 large strawberries, a few handfuls of spinach, Greek yogurt, and ice. I use plain Greek yogurt, it is my personal favorite, but any plain yogurt will do. I blend everything together in our Blendtec blender and it is ready in no time. This recipe makes 2 servings, so I put one in the freezer for later.

If you are trying to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet, give this Green Smoothie a go. It is easy to make and is loaded with all kinds of good for you ingredients. I love sipping on a “Green Goblin” after my workouts. This smoothie is also great for breakfast or a healthy snack. Enjoy!

Green Smoothie

Yield: 2 servings

This simple Green Smoothie is a great way to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet. I promise it is delicious and nutritious!

1 large orange, peeled and segmented
1/2 of a large banana, cut into chunks
6 large strawberries
2 cups spinach
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup ice

1. Put all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.

Note-I use our Blendtec Blender which is a very powerful machine. Make sure you use a powerful blender that will puree the orange, spinach, ice, etc. I like to store one serving of the smoothie in the freezer for later. Pour in an air-tight container and freeze. Make sure you take the smoothie out of the freezer about 30 minutes before you want to drink it. You can also store the smoothie in the refrigerator.

If you like this Green Smoothie, you might also like:

246 Responses to “Green Smoothie”

1. Pingback: Yums for your tum tums | eat.eat.eat.run.run.run.

2. Pingback: Favorite Recipe Finds | Vegetarian Mamma

Antonia — July 25, 2012 @ 8:11 am

There are also great green powders that are raw and organic, on sale in iHerb for example. Great to add in fruity smoothies! Of course fresh veggies are always better but these are wonderful when you’re running out of time. Also, there are so many and rare greens included in some products that it might be a bit tricky to get those fresh. By using this link you’ll get -5$ everything when purchasing the first time: http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=ipo674

4. Pingback: How to use Over-Ripe bananas- Waste Not Want Not « Healthy Life Deals

5. Pingback: From Yuck! To Yum!: 5 Secrets For Green Smoothies That Actually Taste Good

6. Pingback: Green Monster Smoothie | Just a Spoonful of Sugar

Meredith — August 4, 2012 @ 9:52 am

I just tried the “Green Goblin” Smoothie and it was delicious! I have been nervous about trying green smoothies, just because I wasn’t sure about all of that spinach, but I am so glad that I took the leap! I am on the go and have been finding it hard to incorporate a lot of veggies into my diet, and this is a great way to get spinach in there without having to take the time to eat a large salad. Thanks for the great recipe!

8. Pingback: Top 10 Green Smoothie Recipes for International Green Smoothie Day Green Thickies: Healthy Green Smoothie Recipes

9. Pingback: Green Smoothie Recipe « Skinny Nom Nom

Todd — August 27, 2012 @ 4:59 pm

Other additions that are great to green smoothies: Kale, Chard, Carrot, Cabbage, Kiwi, Blueberries, Acaii, Fresh Ginger, Cinnamon (Stick or Powder), Squash, Orange Juice, etc, etc. You can put anything in it and the more veggies the better to keep the sugar down. You really don’t need that much fruit to keep it sweet!

Susan Johnson — September 8, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

Oh, I love this!!!!!

I thought might also like all-smoothie-recipes on facebook, here is the URL: http://www.facebook.com/pages/All-Smoothie-Recipes/415278688519154

Check them out, I think you will like them, they have helped me out a lot lately!!!

12. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday 3/19-3/25 « Storms Stories

13. Pingback: Green Smoothie |

14. Pingback: The Greatist Table: 5 Healthy Greens Recipes from Around the Web | Greatist

Maddie — October 16, 2012 @ 4:06 pm

that resipe is the boam.com

Maddie — October 16, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

hey this is so cool!!

17. Pingback: Green Smoothies: green means go, or green means gross? « byroisinhealy

Ada Lai — October 21, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

Fabulous smoothie!! – the best yet of all I’ve tried as I start on adding green smoothies to my diet. I boosted the protein level a bit with some hemp seeds.

• Two Peas replied: — October 21st, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

Glad you liked the green smoothie!

19. Pingback: Green Monster Smoothie « oh so decadent

20. Pingback: Green Smoothie Recipes - Directory - Elusive Life

Adrian — November 28, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

I’ve been doing green smoothies/shakes/juicing for years now.
    IMO – Blending is better than juicing, as it can give you all the much needed fiber (skins of fruits/veg), + you can use leafy greens, and thus you get a huge range of nutrients with minimal volume. Don’t forget to chew up something before hand (I use carrots) as your saliva is neccessary for digestion and assimilation of the smoothie to occur.

I recommend including in your smoothies:
    Cilantro as it pulls out toxins naturally (doesn’t add bitterness)
    Kale is one of the healthiest greens out there.
    Sliced beets (adds sweetness)
    Replace Milk or milk alternatives with Apple or Cranberry juice, as they mask all the bitterness and kill parasites + add other nutrients.
    Bananas also mask bitterness

Remember, you don’t need as much fruit as diets often say. In fact you’ll find that removing all fruit makes you feel even better. Save the fruit for that desert smoothie – any berry with plain yogurt and a few leafy greens (which you can’t taste as fruit is dominate flavor). Yum!

22. Pingback: The Go Green Revolution meets the Blender « Food, Fitness & Folly

23. Pingback: 75 Healthy Recipes to Kick Off 2013 | Healthy Recipes | Two Peas & Their Pod

Lindsey — January 1, 2013 @ 9:51 am

Just started into the green smoothies. And I am already a HUGE fan! WIll have to give this one a try =-)

• Two Peas replied: — January 1st, 2013 @ 5:46 pm

I hope you like it! It is my go-to green smoothie!

Erin Pollard — January 2, 2013 @ 10:44 am

I tried it and was very uncertain it would taste good, but it was yummy! The only thing I did different was use frozen strawberries because it is what I had. Thanks!

26. Pingback: Quick and Easy Green Smoothie Recipe

27. Pingback: 14 Scrumptious Smoothie Recipes

28. Pingback: Hidden Salad, Crouching Tiger | thegreatzambini's Blog

Caiti — January 14, 2013 @ 1:06 pm

I just made this over the weekend and it was my FIRST green smoothie. I LOVED IT! My daughter is 22 months and she drank all of hers and then half of mine!! She calls it her “green drink” {pronouced – gween dwink} haha. Thanks for the recipe!

30. Pingback: Vitaminová bomba z mixéru | Blog web

Al Pilaski — January 18, 2013 @ 9:39 am

The Green Smoothie looks great! We may want to put it out to our students.
    Can you tell me the # oz./serving please?

Al Pilaski
    (405) 587-1034
    Director of Operations
    Child Nutrition Services
    Oklahoma City Public Schools
    EAT • LEARN • LIVE

• Two Peas replied: — January 18th, 2013 @ 10:44 am

It’s about 16 ounces.

Naomi S. — January 20, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

I like a bit more flavor so, I added vanilla flavored yogurt instead of plain. Love this smoothie!

Ale. — January 26, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

I was wondering how many calories this has in it ?? I’m a breastfeeding mom trying to go healthy all the way but need to make sure I’m getting enough calories for my milk supply!

• Two Peas replied: — January 27th, 2013 @ 10:12 am

I am not sure on the calories, sorry!

34. Pingback: ADOPTING HEALTHY HABITS | cindy-jo

Jody — February 1, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

Tastes awesome!! Love it, definitely doing again. However…mine was not as pretty…bit browner…hrmmm.

Yen — February 7, 2013 @ 11:19 am

I made the smoothie today. super delicioso. I added kale into the smoothie for extra green.

Jane — February 9, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

Tried it and it was really good! My boyfriend liked it too and he’s super picky about everything!!! Totally saving this one. I just drank it after I made it though so it wasn’t like a cold thick icy smoothie consistency.. It was just like a chilled juice. Thanks for posting!!

38. Pingback: 45 Healthy Foods to Make and Never Buy Again ‹ Lifestyle Design

Nadinejune — February 16, 2013 @ 1:48 pm

no matter what its healthier than persay Mcy D’s!! :) Trying it now..thanks!! Seems to be the green smoothy of choice!!

Liz — February 16, 2013 @ 2:49 pm

Please will be going to the big city next week and want to buy a blender
    combination food processor, my blender is ready to give up the ghost. the
    Veggies and fruits are too much for it even if has metal blades.
    Any ideas on purchasing a good blender for veggie smoothies.
    I can’t afford a Vita-Mix, our budget
    couldn’t stand it. Any ideas out there. Liz