Grilled Cheese and Pear Sandwich with Red Onions and Rosemary

Grilled Cheese and Pear Sandwich with Red Onions and Rosemary

I eat lunch at my desk Monday through Thursday.  I usually pack cottage cheese or yogurt, veggies, fruit, and whole grain crackers. Not that exciting, but it gets me through the day.

On Fridays, I like to make myself a “special” lunch. It is my day off and my day to eat lunch at home. I usually make salad, soup, or a veggie hummus sandwich.  Nothing too complicated, but tasty. I recently created a new favorite sandwich-Grilled Cheese and Pear with Red Onions and  Fresh Rosemary.

My pears were starting to brown-that is what inspired my sandwich. I used Bosc pears-I sliced them and brushed them with a little agave nectar. Next, I  grilled them on our All Clad grill pan. I wasn’t about to go outside in the snow and grill:) I also grilled up some red onions. I toasted a Sandwich Thin to be the base of my sandwich-if you haven’t tried these, you must! They are my favorite.

I spread each thin half with Light Laughing Cow Cheese-again, if you haven’t tried this cheese, I highly recommend it:) You can use brie or your favorite cheese-I was trying to keep it healthy. I put a few fresh spinach leaves on my sandwich for color and extra nutrition. I then layered the pear slices, grilled red onions, and fresh rosemary.

The combination was marvelous! Grilling the pears with a little agave really brought out the sweetness. The cheese added a nice savory touch, while the onions and rosemary provided the perfect punch of flavor. I might be making this sandwich every Friday:)

Treat yourself to a special lunch and make this sandwich. It is easy, healthy, and incredibly tasty!

IMG_0284

Grilled Cheese and Pear Sandwich with Red Onions and Rosemary

Yield: 1 sandwich

1 Bosc pear, sliced
Agave nectar, to brush on pear slices, just a little bit
Red onion slices
1 Sandwich Thin
1 Light Laughing Cow cheese wedge
Spinach leaves
Fresh Rosemary

1. Heat the grill pan. Brush the sliced pears lightly with agave nectar. I used a pastry brush to do this. A little goes a long way. Grill the pears and red onion slices on the hot pan. Turn the pears over once one side is done cooking. This won't take long.

2. Toast the Sandwich Thin. Spread each half with the Light Laughing Cow cheese. Add the spinach leaves.

3. When the pears and onions are done grilling-place them on the sandwich. Add a sprinkle of fresh rosemary. Eat and Enjoy!

If you like this sandwich, you might also like:

Veggie Hummus Sandwich from Two Peas and Their Pod
Portobello Mushroom Sandwich from Two Peas and Their Pod
Prosciutto, Pear, and Goat Cheese Panini from Love and Olive Oil
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Bacon and Pear from Simply Recipes

78 Responses to “Grilled Cheese and Pear Sandwich with Red Onions and Rosemary”

twopeas — January 20, 2010 @ 7:49 pm

Thanks everyone! I really loved this sandwich. I think it would be good with apples too:)

megan — January 20, 2010 @ 7:53 pm

I love those sandwich thins. Never thought to use one for grilled cheese though – great idea! I just saw apple and cheese quesadillas on another blog, now pear and cheese sandwiches…i think it’s a sign :)

Deborah — January 20, 2010 @ 8:12 pm

That is a gorgeous sandwich!

Natashya — January 20, 2010 @ 9:12 pm

I love la vache qui rit! Yummy sammie!

Kerstin — January 20, 2010 @ 9:27 pm

Wow, what a sandwich – I would definitely be looking forward to it all morning!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 20, 2010 @ 9:51 pm

Yum… This sandwich looks fantastic! I will have to pick up some pears at the store. Love the All-Clad mention, too. I love me some All-Clad! :)

Mags — January 21, 2010 @ 2:55 am

What a delicious looking and healthy sandwich! I love Laughing Cow cheese too.

Lori — January 21, 2010 @ 5:15 am

This has me so hungry! I love the combo of pears and cheese, especially warmed up. The rosemary has to give it such a great flavor. This is one I’ve got to try!

Shannon — January 21, 2010 @ 6:16 am

oh my, what a fabulous take on grilled cheese!!!

Susan @ SGCC — January 21, 2010 @ 6:16 am

Definitely a nice way to treat yourself! I love pears and cheese together, especially in a lovely grilled sandwich. It looks wonderful!

Angela@SpinachTiger — January 21, 2010 @ 8:16 am

Perfection. Just needs some cracked black pepper, some sea salt and I’m in super sandwich heaven, all guilt free too!

elra — January 21, 2010 @ 8:46 am

Love pear on everything, including this salad.

The Cooking Ninja — January 21, 2010 @ 9:11 am

Yummy combination indeed. Chocolate Pear Cake is another heavenly combination.

Small Town Runner — January 21, 2010 @ 9:11 am

This looks amazingly good.

Kelly @ EvilShenanigans — January 21, 2010 @ 9:19 am

Oh, how mouthwatering! I love cheese and pear or apple! I make an apple, brie, and whole grain mustard panini that is to die for. I will have to try pear next!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — January 21, 2010 @ 11:05 am

yum! I love pears and laughing cow cheese together.

Michelle — January 21, 2010 @ 11:14 am

Love Grilled Cheese with Apple and thought about trying pear too. Gorgeous photos!

teresa — January 21, 2010 @ 12:18 pm

LOVE this! i think it’s so nice to really treat yourself for lunch, it’s almost therapuetic to me. fantastic sandwich, the flavors must have been incredible!

Laura Flowers — January 21, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

This sandwich is beautiful! We’ll be making this for lunch next week. I’ve got to go through your blog when I have a chance and find more ideas like this.

20. Pingback: Grilled Cheese and Pear Sandwich with Red Onions and Rosemary – Two Peas and Their Pod | Happy Happy Joy Joy

Angelalovesfood — January 21, 2010 @ 10:52 pm

wow, this looks really really good. I can just imagine the taste of it in my mouth. And laughing cow is awesome. I’vebeen afraid to try the sandwich thins, ha I don’t know why, but I do!

Alma — January 21, 2010 @ 11:54 pm

hmm, it looks good! christian shoes

RobinSue — January 23, 2010 @ 8:13 am

Sounds like a great combination and I have heard about the sandwich thins but now that you mentioned them I have to try them. Thanks!

David Glazer — January 23, 2010 @ 11:18 pm

ehh this sandwich sucks..

Feast on the Cheap — January 27, 2010 @ 10:24 am

This looks fabulous – such a great combo, can’t wait to try it.

Rose — January 28, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

Great idea! I usually bring in leftovers from the night before so that I can have a healthy lunch at work. This sandwich looks great! Sandwich thins ROCK!

caitlindentino — February 1, 2010 @ 4:48 pm

I love fruit sandwiches and don’t see them enough. And grilled pears are fantastic too … I might amp it up with a bit of gorgonzola for some punch against the sweet in the pears. What a nice way to feel like it is warmer, while still keeping it seasonal. Thanks!

28. Pingback: Cheese and Pear Sandwich with Red Onions and Rosemary plus a bonus egg salad recipe | Real Mom Kitchen

Amanda — April 27, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

Yum! Have you submitted this to the Grilled Cheese Academy yet? http://www.grilledcheeseacademy.com/submitrecipe

supra sneaker — April 29, 2010 @ 1:57 am

i love the decious food

31. Pingback: Grilled Pear, Brie, and Honey Crostini with Fresh Rosemary

32. Pingback: What’s in the 9/22/10 Box? « HomeGrown Organics: Gainesville

33. Pingback: More Recipes for Today’s Box! « HomeGrown Organics: Gainesville

34. Pingback: Food Bloggers celebrate National Sandwich Day — Savor The Thyme - Food, Family and Lifestyle

Christian Louboutin Shoes Outlet — December 21, 2010 @ 6:29 pm

christian louboutin
    herve leger
    jimmy choo
    christian louboutin shoes outlet, The Giuseppe Zanotti outlet are in a location to provide a female desires. Giuseppe Zanotti Shoes are in a location to possess their dream, probably the most beneficial and newest products to produce out using the right sentence.

36. Pingback: Pear, Brie, and Honey Quesadilla | Two Peas & Their Pod