Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Josh’s brother is visiting us from California and we are having a great time. Caleb sure loves having his uncle around and I love having another person to feed:)  The other day the guys wanted a snack so I whipped up a bowl of guacamole and made homemade baked tortilla chips. The guys were still hungry so I offered to make grilled cheese sandwiches. There was still some guacamole left so I asked them if they wanted a Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich. I don’t know if they were crazy about the idea, but agreed to try it. Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwiches sounded good to me:)

I used crusty white bread to make the sandwiches. I spread a thick layer of guacamole on each slice of bread and topped it with cheddar cheese. I buttered the outside of the bread and grilled the sandwiches to perfection. The guys loved the sandwiches and so did I-Josh shared his sandwich with me:)  I mean, really, what is not to love-bread, melted cheese, and creamy guacamole? The best grilled cheese sandwich I have ever had. Once you try a Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich, your life will be changed forever. So get going and make yourself a sandwich, you all need to experience the best grilled cheese on the planet.

Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Yield: 2 sandwiches

Cook Time: 5-7 minutes

The guacamole takes this grilled cheese sandwich to a whole new level of goodness.

To make the guacamole:
2 ripe avocados
1/2 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small jalapeño, stems and seeds removed, minced
2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
A dash of freshly grated black pepper
1 Roma tomato, chopped

4 slices crusty white bread
4 slices Cheddar cheese
Butter, for buttering bread

1. To make the guacamole-cut avocados in half. Remove seed. Scoop out avacado from the peel, put in a large bowl. Using a fork, mash the avocado. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Add the chopped tomato and stir.

2. Heat a pan or griddle to medium-high heat. Spread desired amount of guacamole on both slices of bread then top with cheese. Butter outer slices of bread and grill on one side for about 2 minutes or until golden and crispy. Flip the sandwich and grill until golden brown. Make the other sandwich the same way and serve warm.

If you like this Guacamole Grilled Cheese, you might also like:

230 Responses to “Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich”

Susan — January 19, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

Looks fantastic, but what’s the red in the sandwich? Tomato? Red pepper? It’s not mentioned in the recipe.

• Two Peas replied: — January 19th, 2012 @ 7:31 pm

It’s tomato-it’s in the guacamole and it is in the recipe:)

Maddy — January 19, 2012 @ 11:37 pm

Thanks for sharing. tried this and it was amazing :-)

3. Pingback: Recipes | Pearltrees

4. Pingback: Food related | Pearltrees

Lesa Clark Fletcher — January 20, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

Looks wonderful and I’m printing it today so I may pick up all ingredients! Do you know how I may convert these ingredients for nutrition info? My daughter and I are seeing a nutritionist and find it necessary to get a caloric count on the servings. Thanks for the inspiration!

6. Pingback: Guacamole Grilled Cheese « Utterly Smitten

7. Pingback: Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich | Grilled Cheese Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod « yummyumm in a pinch

8. Pingback: Delicious Dishes | Pearltrees

Becca@ Learnasyougocook — January 21, 2012 @ 5:35 pm

I so want to try this!! Great idea for my new vegetarian diet!:)

10. Pingback: Meals! « WhitenoiseWhitehouse

Karista's Kitchen — January 22, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

Oh Wow! I love avocados but I love guacamole even more. What a fabulous idea for a grilled cheese sandwich! And the pictures… they make me want to reach into my computer and grab one. :)

12. Pingback: Guacamole Grilled Cheese | Parents Playground NWA

Rossana — January 24, 2012 @ 7:02 pm

The sandwich was awesome! Thank you so much for the idea!

Sue — January 25, 2012 @ 11:30 am

This looks so good, I will be making it soon! I just submitted this to the M&T Spotlight http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

• Two Peas replied: — January 25th, 2012 @ 11:52 am

Thanks Sue!

15. Pingback: What we eat: Guacamole Grilled Cheese | The Gardners Grow

16. Pingback: Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich Appreciation Post « WHAT SHE SAID

Olga — January 26, 2012 @ 4:21 am

This looks delicious! What a great idea! I love guacamole and I’m sure it would be great addition to a grilled cheese sandwiches.

Katie — February 2, 2012 @ 5:21 pm

This sandwich was amazing! I made it for lunch, and I have to admit, it’s better than a regular grilled cheese.

Rachel — February 4, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

It works really well if you crumble up the cheese and mix it into the guacamole.

Kristen — February 12, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

Made this for my family today and it was delish! Added some spinach leaves to the sandwich, just because.

• Two Peas replied: — February 12th, 2012 @ 10:51 pm

Glad you liked the sandwich!

21. Pingback: Grilled Cheese and Guacamole « My Southern Charmed Life

Sheena — February 21, 2012 @ 3:44 pm

What a great idea! Tried it and loved it!!!

23. Pingback: Come D’artagnan we must save the King! | Elements of Coco

Terri — February 26, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

I was introduced to grilled cheese/avocado at a local restaurant. I make it at home now, but use swiss cheese. . .YUMMO!

Terri Gardt — February 26, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

I was introduced to Grilled Cheese/Avocado at a local restaurant. I now make these at home, but with Swiss cheese. . .YUMMO!

26. Pingback: I {heart} Pinterest « A Pot And A Plan

Gleeful — March 4, 2012 @ 11:17 am

This looks beyond delicious! I can’t wait to try this.

28. Pingback: Creamy Avocado Yogurt Dip Recipe | Avocado Dip Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

Katy — March 21, 2012 @ 9:37 pm

Trying this with pepper jack! What a great creation!

30. Pingback: Grilled Avocado Bacon & Teese Sandwiches + an April Fool’s Challenge « Suburban Vegan

BARBARAYATER — March 28, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

Can’t wait to try this :-)

32. Pingback: Chunky Guacamole and Fresh Corn Chips | Jen's Favorite Cookies

Kristen — April 1, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

I made these tonight with Wholly Guacamole instead of making my own. I needed an easy dinner and this was so good and so easy. You are brilliant!

krista — April 4, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

This looks absolutely delicious! I added a link to my list of recipes I plan to try. Thanks for sharing (& making me salivate at work, ahh!):

35. Pingback: LCI's Blog: Backtalk » Blog Archive

36. Pingback: Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

YES, please!

38. Pingback: Recipe … Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich « Loving Life Adventures

39. Pingback: Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich | Grilled Cheese Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod « lovely tofu

40. Pingback: Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich | Grilled Cheese Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod « lovely tofu