Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe

Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe

I posted our edamame guacamole recipe this week and mentioned that we made homemade baked tortilla chips to go with our guacamole. Well, I received several emails and comments from readers wanting to know how we made our chips. So today is your lucky day, I am sharing our simple recipe for baked tortilla chips.

We purchase corn tortillas from a local Mexican market, they are cheap and fresh. We cut the tortillas into triangles. We like a strong, big chip for dipping, so we cut the taco size tortillas into four large triangles. If you want smaller chips, just cut them smaller. No frying is necessary, we lightly spray the chips with cooking spray, sprinkle them with salt, and bake them until they are crisp.

These chips are easy to make and much better for you than fried tortilla chips. Homemade baked tortilla chips are perfect for dipping. We love eating them with:

Edamame Guacamole
Mango Salsa
Black Bean Salsa
Guacamole Dip
Cilantro Lime Hummus

Making your own chips at home is easy, fun, and cheaper too. Enjoy!

Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips

1 small package of white corn tortillas, taco size, cut into triangles
Cooking spray-we use a canola oil spray
Salt-to taste

1. Preheat the broiler to high. Put corn tortilla triangles on a large baking sheet. Don't overlap the chips. If you want to make a large batch, fill a second pan and only bake one at a time.

2. Spray the triangles lightly with cooking spray. Turn over triangles and spray again. Sprinkle with salt, to taste.

3. Bake in the oven for about 3-4 minutes. Turn chips over and bake for another five minutes, or until chips are golden brown and crisp. Make sure you don't go too far while the chips are in the oven. They will bake quickly!

4. Cool and serve with guacamole, salsa, or eat them plain.

103 Responses to “Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe”

1. Pingback: Healthy After-School Snack Ideas for Teenagers « The Official Blog of a Wishful Teenage Writer

meredith young — January 22, 2013 @ 5:41 pm

I guess I’m two-and-a-half years late, but just found this today. I’d like to make these for a celebratory lunch we’re having in a few days (50th wedding anniversary): problem: won’t have time the morning of. Can these be made a day or two before or will they just turn limp. If they can be made in advance, how would I store them?

brittnee — February 12, 2013 @ 2:03 am

i just want everyone to k now to NEVER LEAVE THIS UNATTENDED WHILE COOKING IT!!!! JUST had to call 911 because 3 min of high broil sent my oven up in flames :(

4. Pingback: PinLaVie... Make your pins come true – Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips

5. Pingback: 25 Baked Alternatives To Potato Chips And French Fries | Totally Love It

6. Pingback: Sea Salt and Rosemary Sweet Potato Chips Recipe | Leite's Culinaria

Denni — October 5, 2013 @ 7:17 am

What temp do you bake them at?

• Two Peas replied: — October 5th, 2013 @ 12:53 pm

We broil them. Watch them very closely! You can also bake at 400 degrees.

Kristine — October 8, 2013 @ 12:21 pm

I almost burnt down my house trying to do this! I followed the directions and turned it on to broil, sprayed/salted chips, and put in for 3 minutes. I took them out, turned them over, sprinkled more salt, and put back in. They weren’t in there for a full 2 more minutes when I smelled smoke. I turned the oven off and engaged in a full on freak out. The fire was big at first, so I let it sit in the oven while it was off and prayed to God nothing exploded. Then I got the courage, opened the oven, pulled the tray out, and ran directly outside where I dumped water on the remainder of the fire.
    I am sure that I am somehow at fault here for the fire (I usually do stupid things) but if there is ANYone out there that is anything like me (accident-prone) think twice before attempting this! I have a napping 10 month old and my heart is beating 5x normal speed right now. All because I wanted some chips to go with some leftover salsa I have at home. BAD IDEA!

• Two Peas replied: — October 8th, 2013 @ 12:59 pm

I am so sorry! We haven’t had a problem with our broiler. You do have to watch them closely. You can also bake them at 400 degrees. Again, watch them closely!

ESTHER — December 8, 2013 @ 9:10 pm

I have NO mexican place near me at all. I wish I knew how to make from scratch.

10. Pingback: January Money Diet Day 27 – Repurpose Something | Happy Simple Living

11. Pingback: Easy Black Bean Dip | Black Bean Dip Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

12. Pingback: It's (Healthy) National Chip and Dip Day! - FITrition 4 Life | FITrition 4 Life

Careena — May 25, 2014 @ 5:42 am

I understand the need to use ‘pretty’ pictures on your site, but this is the second recipe (and I’ve only looked at two, so that’s 100%) that uses a picture that doesn’t accurately reflect the recipe. This one is clearly of square-cut chips, when your recipe says you cut them into triangles. The other recipe is the one for guacamole grilled cheese sandwiches – the recipe says to spread the guacamole onto the bread on top with the cheese, when the photo clearly shows that the bread has been topped with cheese, and guacamole spread onto it. I know I’m a stickler, but as an editor, I feel it’s important to illustrate your recipes accurately, since not all people learn in the same way; for some, the picture is as important as the text.

14. Pingback: Queen Bish’s 25 Baked Alternatives To Potato Chips And French Fries » Dafuqfunnies