Homemade Granola with Coconut, Dried Cranberries, and Almonds

Homemade Granola with Coconut, Dried Cranberries, and Almonds

Only one week until Christmas! Are you on sugar overload yet? Today I am calming it down and sharing a healthy holiday treat-homemade granola.

At my office, we have a healthy food policy. We are not supposed to bring in unhealthy food items to share and when we serve food at  meetings we have to provide healthy options.  It is nice that we don’t have donuts, candy, cookies, etc. around every corner. They actually put puzzles out so there’s no room for goodies on the tables.

Of course, some people sneak in treats, but I wanted to support the policy. Instead of bringing in my cookies, I made homemade granola for my co-workers. I love making granola-it is easy and there are so many tasty variations. I love eating it with our homemade yogurt too.

This time I kept it pretty basic. I used rolled oats, wheat germ, cinnamon, and coconut as the base. I whisked together honey, brown sugar, canola oil, and vanilla and poured it over the oat mixture. I got down and dirty and mixed everything together with my hands-kids would love to help with this part, just make sure they have clean hands:)

I baked the granola on two large baking sheet pans. I stirred the granola frequently. When it was done baking, I added dried cranberries and chopped up cinnamon roasted almonds. It smelled fantabulous!

After the granola cooled, I packaged it into cute little bags with ribbons. If you are looking for a healthy holiday gift, try my homemade granola. I am sure your loved ones will appreciate a break from all of the sweets:)

Looking for more homemade gift ideas? Here are a few of my favorites:

Homemade S’mores

2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped cinnamon roasted almonds (regular almonds would be fine too)
1 cup dried cranberries

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.

In a large bowl, mix the oats, coconut, wheat germ, salt, and cinnamon together. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla. The honey and brown sugar will make the mixture thick, but that is ok. Just whisk it really well.

Pour half of the honey mixture over the oats mixture, in the large bowl. Use your hands to combine them, yes it will be sticky and messy, but oh well, it is fun! When it is well mixed, pour the other half of the honey mixture, and mix with your hands again. Make sure all of the oats are covered.

Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets. Spread it out evenly. If you like "clumps" in your granola, squeeze together some of the oats. Put the pans in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. (I had one sheet on the top rack and one on the bottom rack). Take the baking sheets out and stir the granola.

Put the pans back in the oven and bake for 10 more minutes. I switched the pans around so they were getting even top and bottom time:)

After the ten minutes, take the pans out again and stir. Rotate the pans and bake for 5-7 more minutes.

Stir in the dried cranberries and almonds. Let the granola cool completely on the baking sheets. Once cooled, package it up or store in an air tight container for about a week.

If you like this granola, you might also like:

Honey Cinnamon Granola from Two Peas and Their Pod
Mix-n-Match Applesauce Granola from Baking Bites
Blueberry Granola from Andrea’s Recipes
Honey Maple Granola from SugarLaws

53 Responses to “Homemade Granola with Coconut, Dried Cranberries, and Almonds”

Sue — March 21, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

I put in the search box a granola that was not sweet and everyone is putting honey and brown sugar, if that’s not sweet was is?

2. Pingback: Healthy Holiday Treat

megan — July 5, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

this is my favorite granola in the whole world. i make it weekly and share it with friends. i’ve made a LOT of granolas–but none as good as this! thank you for sharing.

• Two Peas replied: — July 6th, 2011 @ 9:53 am

So happy you like the granola!

4. Pingback: Granola aux canneberges et amandes « Bread and Molasses

Lynne — November 21, 2011 @ 10:25 am

Can you tell me about how much this recipes makes? I am going to make it for Christmas gifts this year and put in quart jars with pretty ribbons on it. I am trying to plan on how many ingredients I need to purchase and if I need to double (or triple) the recipe. Thanks so much!

• Two Peas replied: — November 21st, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

It makes about 6 cups-if I remember correctly. It’s been awhile:) Enjoy!

6. Pingback: » Monday Breakfast Series: Cranberry Pecan Granola Eat Your Heart Out

Maria P — May 31, 2012 @ 2:23 pm

This granola recipe is in a word…awesome! I made it yesterday and I was so very glad I made the time to made those amazing cinnamon roasted almonds too! I followed the recipe, but also added about 1/3 cup each of hemp seeds and white chia seeds. Thank you for your great recipes and wonderful blog!

Sarah — December 19, 2012 @ 8:08 pm

I am making this right now as a component of some food baskets as Christmas gifts. It smells great and I think it will be a big hit, thanks for the great recipe and lovely website. Happy Holidays!

9. Pingback: The Spectator » The Mouthful: October Recipe Roundup

10. Pingback: Olive Oil Granola |

Kate — September 30, 2014 @ 4:52 pm

So far I’ve made so many of your recipes in the past 4 years and they all turned out great!

I’ve made 3 of your Granola recipes:
    – Homemade Granola with Coconut, Dried Cranberries, and Almonds (I added Dried Apricots and didn’t have Coconut) – my favourite! It clumped well and wasn’t overly sweet, really tasty on its own and with yogurt!

– Pumpkin Granola (I added Dried Apricots) http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/pumpkin-granola/
    I preferred it with yogurt than on it’s own. Nice to have a substitute for the canola oil.

– Brown Butter Maple Granola (I added Dried Apricots and didn’t have Peacans) http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/brown-butter-maple-granola/
    I’ve just had some — I think next time I will reduce the brown sugar and maple syrup as the coconut is sweetened. It’s the first time I’ve made brown butter so I’m not sure if it elevated this recipe.

At the moment I have a love/hate relationship with making my own Homemade Granola — I love making it myself rather than buying it as I can know that all the additives/preservatives etc are not included and it’s much cheaper!. I hate the 10 minutes in the oven then stir, then 10 minutes in the oven, then stir business! I love having a jar of homemade Granola — it looks so good and inviting and it’s delicious! And I love gifting it to others too! So it’s not my favourite “Baking Adventure” but it seems worth the extra time and effort and makes me feel a bit more healthy — but then Granola has a lot of sugar — so maybe the Pumpkin and Applesauce Granola is the way to go!

Thanks for the variety of Granola recipes — it’s fun trying them all out!

I’ve had varying success with making my own homemade Granola Bars because my climate is hot and humid a lot of delicious no-bake Granola bars don’t hold up in bar form so I make “Granola Squares” instead!

For Granola Bars/Squares – I prefer “No Bake Bars” — I’ve made some by adapting various recipes but here are the ones I find works best and are my favourites so far —

No Bake Chewy Granola Bars — http://backtothecuttingboard.com/dessert/no-bake-chewy-granola-bars/
    Nice and easy to make and customizable

Peanut Butter Granola Bars — http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/peanut-butter-granola-balls/
    So so good and addictive!

Love your recipes and I like how your readers post when they make things, that really helps — so I hope this post helps others too. Thanks Maria and Josh! Happy Baking!