Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

On Fridays, I teach cooking classes to two kids in our neighborhood. They are pretty knowledgeable-so my job is easy:) I think it is fantastic that they want to learn how to cook at such a young age-they are in the 3rd and 4th grade. Since we don’t have any kiddos yet, I am glad I get to work with these kids. We have a great time in the kitchen.

On Friday we made homemade soft pretzels,the traditional salty ones and cinnamon and sugar pretzels. We made a cheddar cheese sauce to go with the savory pretzels and a vanilla cream cheese frosting for the cinnamon sugar pretzels. The kids were pros! They did a great job rolling out the dough, twisting, boiling, and baking the pretzels.

For fun, we also made pretzel bites. everyone loved these. They are perfect for dipping and snacking. I think I will make these again on Sunday for our big Super Bowl party…and you should make them too!

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites on twopeasandtheirpod.com Easy to make at home and SO good!

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites Recipe

Is everyone ready for the big game? I will be sharing more Super Bowl friendly recipes this week, so come on back. Here are a few favorites to start out the week:

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites Recipe

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Yield: A lot! Around 5-6 dozen

Cook Time: 18 minutes

Pretzel bites are fun to make and fun to eat!

Soft Pretzels:
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil
3 quarts water
1/2 cup baking soda
1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
Coarse sea salt

For the cheese sauce:
½ Tablespoon unsalted butter
½ Tablespoon all-purpose flour
½ cup milk
8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated

For the Pretzels: Combine the 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Add the salt and flour and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.

Oil a bowl with vegetable oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil in a small roasting pan over high heat and add the baking soda.

Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope measuring 22 inches and shape. Cut the dough into one inch pieces to make the pretzel bites. Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches. We did about 15 bites at a time. Boil for about 30 seconds. Remove with a large slotted spoon. Place pretzel bites on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Make sure they are not touching. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.

Remove to a baking rack and let rest 5 minutes before eating. Serve with cheese sauce.

To make the cheese sauce:
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese until smooth and all of the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

*If you want to make cinnamon and sugar pretzel bites-instead of adding salt, sprinkle the bites with cinnamon and sugar. For the frosting mix-soft cream cheese-about 3 T, powdered sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a little bit of milk. Whisk together. Add more milk if it is too thick, if it is too thin, add more powdered sugar. I don't measure. I just guess until the consistency is right.*

Recipe makes a lot of bites-perfect for sharing!

Adapted from Bobby Flay

Yum Pin It

535 Responses to “Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites”

1 8 9 10 11 12 14
  1. Pingback: Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites « oh so decadent

2. Rechenschwäche — January 29, 2013 @ 9:46 am

Wow, I am impressed but sadly I can’t find any pic of the sweet pretzels with cream frosting. Would love to see this one!

3. Kelly — January 29, 2013 @ 10:52 pm

So I made these from a slightly different recipe — almost exactly the same and they turned out very wrong… they were done on the outside and doughy on the inside… when i let them go longer, the outside just got burnt and the inside stayed not completely done… any idea what i’m doing wrong? i would really love to make these and have them work!

also, where do you find coarse sea salt? i have been looking everywhere and the closest thing i can find is the kind of salt that you put in salt grinders…

4. Ana3 — January 30, 2013 @ 4:17 pm

just finished making these; absolutely AMAZING!! i’ve always been intimidated by baking anything with yeast. you took the guesswork and scariness completely out of the equation. the flavor, the look, and the expectation was all there. THANK YOU SO MUCH PEAS!! i’m looking at your cinnamon rolls now :)

5. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites with Pepper Jack Dipping Sauce | Becky Cooks

6. Pingback: Friday Ramblings| Superbowl snack menu |

7. Pingback: 35 Game-Day Recipes | A Cedar Spoon

8. Kate — February 2, 2013 @ 3:04 pm

I know this is an old post, but I have a question!! I want to make these for my daughter’s NYC themed birthday party. Gotta have soft pretzels in NYC! But, with 25 girls coming, I need a bunch plus I’m doing all the food myself, so I need some things I don’t have to do day of. Anyway, is there any point where I could freeze them, so they can be do ahead? I’m kind of a clueless baker, but what I lack in ability I make up for in research and finding others to help me. :)
    Thanks!!

9. Two Peas — February 2, 2013 @ 4:24 pm

You should try our recipe:) You can use Kosher salt if you can’t find sea salt.

10. Pingback: Pretzel Bites- Three Ways! « Eat Cake for Breakfast

11. MirmQ — February 4, 2013 @ 1:07 pm

I just tried these for Super Bowl Sunday. It seemed like a large amount of baking soda, and I felt like I could taste the soda on the pretzels after baking. Is it possible to do this with less baking soda?

12. Pingback: Homemade Pretzels Bites with Cheddar Cheese Sauce

13. Tiffany — February 15, 2013 @ 7:52 pm

Can these still be made if I don’t have a stand mixer or dough hook. If so, I would love advice on how to make these yummy pretzels. :)

14. Pingback: Jalapeno Cheddar Beer Bread | It's Good to be the Cook

15. Pingback: 52 weeks of Bread: Weeks 6-8 | My Yummy Local Life

16. Pingback: Easy Vegetarian Chili | Two Peas & Their Pod

17. Pingback: Peanut Butter Filled Pretzel Bites | Soft Pretzel Bites | Two Peas & Their Pod

18. Pingback: Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites with Salted Caramel Dipping Sauce | Kevin & Amanda's Recipes

19. Pingback: recipe round-up (part IV) | spill the beans

20. Wendy — March 22, 2013 @ 7:06 pm

The pretzels are amazing. My kids ate them up. Thanks for a great recipe. I will definitely make them again. Question? I made the cheese sauce, too, but mine turned out grainy. Any idea what I did wrong?

21. Jill — March 26, 2013 @ 8:28 am

I made these last night and they were delicious! The cheese dipping sauce was amazing, as well. I didn’t realize how strongly baking soda would react with boiling water and dumped the entire 3/4C baking soda into the water at once. Ooops! Haha. Learned my lesson for next time. Great recipe, my husband told me I have to add it into the rotation.

22. Ash — April 4, 2013 @ 9:22 pm

These were good but I think the temp is a little too high. The tops and bottoms were basically burned and the inside was still a little doughy. Will make these again using a different temp but thanks for the recipe!

23. Pingback: 52 Weeks of bread: weeks 9-13 | My Yummy Local Life

24. cat care and safety — April 11, 2013 @ 1:46 pm

I will right away snatch your rss feed as I can not to find
    your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service.

Do you’ve any? Kindly let me recognise in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

25. Pingback: Nutella Bella Bites | delicontessa

26. Pingback: 52 Weeks of Bread- Weeks 14-18 | My Yummy Local Life

27. Pingback: Pretzel Bites (#8) | Baking Through the Year

28. Kelci — May 24, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

They look really good, but does the water solution really require 3/4 cup of baking soda? That seems like way too much!

29. Two Peas — May 24, 2013 @ 1:27 pm

I’ve cut it back to 2/3 cup and it works just fine.

30. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites | Metro Gallery

31. Pingback: 52 Weeks of Bread- weeks 19-22 | My Yummy Local Life

32. Siarra — July 9, 2013 @ 1:37 pm

These were so good but a little on the salty side. :( I don’t know what exactly went wrong there………..

33. Pingback: Something for the Boys and Girls | mrspotandmrlid

34. Katie — July 22, 2013 @ 10:58 am

I made this and they came out perfect! I just scaled down the water to 2 qts and used 1/2 cup. of baking soda.

35. ice cream makers — August 2, 2013 @ 6:02 am

I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet visitors, its really really fastidious article on building up new weblog.

36. Pingback: 52 weeks of bread- 24-32 | My Yummy Local Life