Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

On Fridays, I teach cooking classes to two kids in our neighborhood. They are pretty knowledgeable-so my job is easy:) I think it is fantastic that they want to learn how to cook at such a young age-they are in the 3rd and 4th grade. Since we don’t have any kiddos yet, I am glad I get to work with these kids. We have a great time in the kitchen.

On Friday we made homemade soft pretzels,the traditional salty ones and cinnamon and sugar pretzels. We made a cheddar cheese sauce to go with the savory pretzels and a vanilla cream cheese frosting for the cinnamon sugar pretzels. The kids were pros! They did a great job rolling out the dough, twisting, boiling, and baking the pretzels.

For fun, we also made pretzel bites. everyone loved these. They are perfect for dipping and snacking. I think I will make these again on Sunday for our big Super Bowl party…and you should make them too!

IMG_0918

Is everyone ready for the big game? I will be sharing more Super Bowl friendly recipes this week, so come on back. Here are a few favorites to start out the week:

Buffalo Hot Wings-these are Josh’s all time favorite. They are always a hit and perfect for the big game.
Chicken Smothered Nachos-we made these last year and everyone loved them. They are loaded with goodness!
Pizza Stromboli with Spinach, Mushrooms, and Cheese-the great taste of pizza in one big roll!
Black Bean Soup with Spicy Corn Muffins-perfect for serving up a crowd!

My good friend Gaby, from What’s Gaby Cooking, made Pulled Pork Sliders for the big game. Go check out the recipe-it’s a good one!

IMG_0898

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Yield: A lot! Around 5-6 dozen

Cook Time: 18 minutes

Pretzel bites are fun to make and fun to eat!

Soft Pretzels:
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil
3 quarts water
1/2 cup baking soda
1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
Coarse sea salt

For the cheese sauce:
½ Tablespoon unsalted butter
½ Tablespoon all-purpose flour
½ cup milk
8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated

For the Pretzels: Combine the 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Add the salt and flour and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.

Oil a bowl with vegetable oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil in a small roasting pan over high heat and add the baking soda.

Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope measuring 22 inches and shape. Cut the dough into one inch pieces to make the pretzel bites. Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches. We did about 15 bites at a time. Boil for about 30 seconds. Remove with a large slotted spoon. Place pretzel bites on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Make sure they are not touching. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.

Remove to a baking rack and let rest 5 minutes before eating. Serve with cheese sauce.

To make the cheese sauce:
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese until smooth and all of the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

*If you want to make cinnamon and sugar pretzel bites-instead of adding salt, sprinkle the bites with cinnamon and sugar. For the frosting mix-soft cream cheese-about 3 T, powdered sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a little bit of milk. Whisk together. Add more milk if it is too thick, if it is too thin, add more powdered sugar. I don't measure. I just guess until the consistency is right.*

Recipe makes a lot of bites-perfect for sharing!

Adapted from Bobby Flay

480 Responses to “Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites”

1. Pingback: 52 Weeks of Bread: 39-46 | My Yummy Local Life

2. Pingback: How to: You Only Live Once – Salted Caramel Dipping Sauce | How to Eat

Paula — December 20, 2013 @ 5:37 pm

If you divide the dough into 8 pieces, roll to 22″ and cut into 1″ segments, it will yield over almost triple the amount indicated, 14-1/2 dozen pieces, not 5-6 dozen. I may try this for Christmas, but I think I’ll at least halve the recipe.

4. Pingback: Top 10 Recipes from 2013 | Two Peas & Their Pod

Stephanie L. — December 29, 2013 @ 7:47 pm

Just made these and they turned out wonderful! My whole family inhaled them as quickly as they came out of the oven. I’ve failed at a lot of pretzel recipes in the past, but these were pretty easy :) Though my cheese sauce solidified really quickly. Thanks for sharing.

6. Pingback: 7 delicious appetizers for New Years | My Family Blog

7. Pingback: Roasted Grape + Jicama Salsa on Goat Cheese Crostini + 5 First Bites You Should Try for 2014 | cups + spoonfuls

8. Pingback: 7 delicious appetizers for New Years | Baby Montgomery

9. Pingback: 52 Weeks of Bread: 47-52 | My Yummy Local Life

Cindy — December 31, 2013 @ 1:58 pm

Do they need to be baked immediately after boiling, or can I get them that far, then wait a couple of hours to bake them?

Jen — January 4, 2014 @ 9:21 pm

Just made these and they came out great!!! I used to live in Jersey where we had the Philly Pretzel Factory chain by us. I used to buy a box of rivets every sunday for football. These came out delicious. I no longer miss PPF, I can just make them myself!!

Danielle — January 5, 2014 @ 5:53 pm

I cursed this recipe the whole time I made them because they were more work than I wanted them to be and led to a very messy kitchen! In my head I just kept saying, “never again, pretzel bites!” They came out perfect and are delicious!! Well worth the trouble. I’ll make these again and again!!

Debbie — January 5, 2014 @ 10:39 pm

I don’t have a stand mixer is there another way to make them?

14. Pingback: the hercules of soft pretzels | beets and blue cheese...

15. Pingback: 40 Awesome Super Bowl Party Ideas

michele — January 12, 2014 @ 2:15 pm

I just made these! What a great recipe. Easy, quick, and fun. I used the same batch of dough to make both cinnamon sugar and salty pretzel bites. I am also a vegan, so I simply used vegan butter (Earth Balance) in the actual dough and in replace of the egg wash. Thank you!

17. Pingback: Happy Monday! [awards season, Superbowl, Sochi] | On the Side of Nine to Five

18. Pingback: Pinteresting Day, Pretzel Bites | My Mis-Matched World

19. Pingback: FREE LIST: Top 150 Best 2014 Super Bowl Recipes and Treats - Free Things to Do in Chicago | What to Do in Chicago | Free Museums | Free Events | Freebies

Vanessa — January 18, 2014 @ 1:45 pm

I think it means ‘breze’ and not ‘pretzel’ ….

Jen — January 18, 2014 @ 2:10 pm

I have commented on how great these are already, however I did that on the day I made them. I want to add, they reheat EXCELLENT. Just pop then about a 375 degree oven for a few minutes and they got soft again. Just keep a close eye on them, it’s a thin line between reheated, and a hard pretzel

22. Pingback: DIY Delicious Pretzel Bites - Find Fun Art Projects to Do at Home and Arts and Crafts Ideas

23. Pingback: Weekend Wrap-up: New Laptop and Don’t Wait Eight Months to Unpack – Samandro

24. Pingback: 40 Super Bowl Recipes | Main Dishes, Sides, Snacks & Desserts

Deborah — January 21, 2014 @ 11:33 am

These look soooo good, thank you for posting this recipe. I’ve attempted in the past to make pretzels but disasters we’re all I ended up with. I am definitely making these.

Joanna — January 23, 2014 @ 11:51 am

I loved this recipe!

Made them last week and they turned out fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not too thrilled with the cheese sauce but I don’t think that matters much.

Thank you so much for a great recipe!

Linda — January 25, 2014 @ 9:09 pm

Do you think you can make the dough in a bread machine on the dough setting?

• Two Peas replied: — January 26th, 2014 @ 9:30 am

I haven’t tried using a bread machine, but I am sure it would work!

Josie — January 26, 2014 @ 3:14 pm

Does the butter have to be unsalted?

renee — January 26, 2014 @ 11:39 pm

A
    Any thoughts on how these would turn out using gluten free flour and xantham gum? I am still new to the gluten free cooking.

JoAnna — January 28, 2014 @ 11:47 am

There are two different measurements for water. Which one goes into the mixer and which one do you boil with the baking soda?

Crystel — January 29, 2014 @ 11:09 am

Just wondering if this dough could be done in a bread machine? I have horrible wrists (from 10 years of hairdressing), and wouldn’t be able to kneed a dough.

32. Pingback: Friday Round-Up: January 31, 2014 –

33. Pingback: Healthier Foods for a Super Bowl Party | Gettin' My Healthy On

34. Pingback: Friday’s Fab Five | Tri-Cooking

Brienne — January 31, 2014 @ 7:32 pm

I am so excited to make these! What are your thoughts on freezing? I am wondering if I could freeze them after I bake them and then reheat them in the oven. Thanks so much for a great recipe!!

Gramzee — February 2, 2014 @ 2:27 pm

One big mistake in the recipe! 3/4 cup of baking soda is way too much and will make very bitter pretzels. 2 tbsp. baking soda to 1 gallon of water is the proper amount and gets the job done very nicely. The pretzels were great fun to make and serve with lots of different mustards.

37. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites with Honey Mustard |

Mary Wyckoff Martin — February 4, 2014 @ 8:10 pm

Would it be possible to post a recipe conversion for this that uses whole wheat flour?

39. Pingback: BBQ and Buffalo Chicken Wings | Tri-Cooking

Shannon — February 6, 2014 @ 2:56 pm

Hi! Have you tried to freeze these after making? Just curious on how they would be :) Just made the first batch, and they are in the over! Can’t wait to eat!!