Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

On Fridays, I teach cooking classes to two kids in our neighborhood. They are pretty knowledgeable-so my job is easy:) I think it is fantastic that they want to learn how to cook at such a young age-they are in the 3rd and 4th grade. Since we don’t have any kiddos yet, I am glad I get to work with these kids. We have a great time in the kitchen.

On Friday we made homemade soft pretzels,the traditional salty ones and cinnamon and sugar pretzels. We made a cheddar cheese sauce to go with the savory pretzels and a vanilla cream cheese frosting for the cinnamon sugar pretzels. The kids were pros! They did a great job rolling out the dough, twisting, boiling, and baking the pretzels.

For fun, we also made pretzel bites. everyone loved these. They are perfect for dipping and snacking. I think I will make these again on Sunday for our big Super Bowl party…and you should make them too!

IMG_0918

Is everyone ready for the big game? I will be sharing more Super Bowl friendly recipes this week, so come on back. Here are a few favorites to start out the week:

Buffalo Hot Wings-these are Josh’s all time favorite. They are always a hit and perfect for the big game.
Chicken Smothered Nachos-we made these last year and everyone loved them. They are loaded with goodness!
Pizza Stromboli with Spinach, Mushrooms, and Cheese-the great taste of pizza in one big roll!
Black Bean Soup with Spicy Corn Muffins-perfect for serving up a crowd!

My good friend Gaby, from What’s Gaby Cooking, made Pulled Pork Sliders for the big game. Go check out the recipe-it’s a good one!

IMG_0898

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Yield: A lot! Around 5-6 dozen

Cook Time: 18 minutes

Pretzel bites are fun to make and fun to eat!

Soft Pretzels:
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil
3 quarts water
1/2 cup baking soda
1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
Coarse sea salt

For the cheese sauce:
½ Tablespoon unsalted butter
½ Tablespoon all-purpose flour
½ cup milk
8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated

For the Pretzels: Combine the 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Add the salt and flour and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.

Oil a bowl with vegetable oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil in a small roasting pan over high heat and add the baking soda.

Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope measuring 22 inches and shape. Cut the dough into one inch pieces to make the pretzel bites. Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches. We did about 15 bites at a time. Boil for about 30 seconds. Remove with a large slotted spoon. Place pretzel bites on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Make sure they are not touching. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.

Remove to a baking rack and let rest 5 minutes before eating. Serve with cheese sauce.

To make the cheese sauce:
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese until smooth and all of the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

*If you want to make cinnamon and sugar pretzel bites-instead of adding salt, sprinkle the bites with cinnamon and sugar. For the frosting mix-soft cream cheese-about 3 T, powdered sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a little bit of milk. Whisk together. Add more milk if it is too thick, if it is too thin, add more powdered sugar. I don't measure. I just guess until the consistency is right.*

Recipe makes a lot of bites-perfect for sharing!

Adapted from Bobby Flay

493 Responses to “Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites”

Jody, RD — January 4, 2011 @ 7:23 am

What a great treat! As a lover of pretzels, these definitely were delicious! I featured them on my blog – blogfoodbetter.blogspot.com

Thanks for the inspiration!

• twopeas replied: — January 4th, 2011 @ 8:06 am

So glad you liked the pretzels! Yay!

2. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites | thegivenschronicles.com

fajas colombianas — January 12, 2011 @ 8:46 am

What I did was to coat them with cheese and bake them, giving them a stronger cheese flavor and a little crunch.

• twopeas replied: — January 12th, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

Sounds delicious!

Jennie Gift — January 12, 2011 @ 8:48 am

I really want to make these for my book club Friday night but won’t have time to do it right before. Are they still good the next day? If prepared the day before the event?

• twopeas replied: — January 12th, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

I am sure they would still be fine, just put them in an air tight container. Ours never last until the next day:) Have fun!

elicia — January 13, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

Hi,
    This looks fantastic!! I can’t wait to try it, but can you give advice on how to make it without a stand mixer? I don’t have any experience with mixing bread dough. (yet!)
    Thanks,

Eliana — January 18, 2011 @ 8:37 am

Hmmm – these look super super delish and like they would make for THE perfect game day snack.

7. Pingback: Do-It-Yourself: Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites :: Money Saving Mom®

Tasha — January 18, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

I too was wondering about making them w/out using a stand mixer b/c I don’t own one.

• twopeas replied: — January 18th, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

Just knead the dough with your hands instead of using the mixer. You will get a good workout in:)

Living So Abundantly — January 18, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

Those look amazing! :)

Richelle Luchkowec — January 19, 2011 @ 9:54 am

Do you think the dough could be made in a bread machine on the dough setting?

• twopeas replied: — January 19th, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

I don’t have a bread machine and have never used one, but I am sure it can be done! Give it a try and let me know how they turn out! Thanks for visiting our site.

• Rene replied: — January 19th, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

I make all my yeast dough recipes in the bread machine, whether the recipe is a “bread machine” recipe or not. It’s just a machine. So long as your flour amounts in the recipe do not exceed what your pan can handle, go ahead!

• Richelle Luchkowec replied: — January 20th, 2011 @ 6:49 am

Thanks! I just got my machine last week so I’m still new to it all. I’d much prefer to dump the ingredients and then move onto something else while it prepares the dough. I’ll give it a try and let you guys know how it goes.

• twopeas replied: — January 20th, 2011 @ 7:08 am

Ok, great! good luck!

• twopeas replied: — January 20th, 2011 @ 7:08 am

Great information. Thanks for sharing.

Caroline — January 19, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

I just made these! After baking, I dipped half of them in a little bowl of melted butter then a bowl of sugar and cinnamon. YUM! The other half I will dip in honey mustard sauce. Thanks!

• twopeas replied: — January 19th, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

Caroline-I am so glad you enjoyed the pretzel bites. Great idea to do sweet and savory!

12. Pingback: My Top 10 Favorite Recipe Resources | MichiGirls

13. Pingback: Do-It-Yourself: Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites - The Coupon Cupboard Coupon Forum

Jody — January 21, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

Thanks for the recipe – is the baking soda off – I only used half and they are super strong tasting still – plus the water boiled up all over the stove when it reacted with the baking soda.

• twopeas replied: — January 21st, 2011 @ 8:25 pm

The baking soda is right, I adapted the pretzel bites from Bobby Flay’s pretzel recipe. You need the baking soda to achieve the brown, chewy crust on the pretzels. Add it slowly to the water. We didn’t taste the baking soda. If it is too strong for you, try using less, but you do need it.

These look sooo yummy! Will give it a shot soon!!! Thanks for posting!

• twopeas replied: — January 21st, 2011 @ 8:25 pm

You are welcome! Enjoy!

Sarah G — January 22, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

I made this today and they came out AMAZING! This will be great for parties and such! My husband loved them! Thanks for sharing!

• twopeas replied: — January 23rd, 2011 @ 7:24 am

Sarah-glad you had success with the pretzel bites! Thanks for letting us know!

17. Pingback: Homemade Pop Tarts and Pretzel Bites – Part 1 | Is this Eatable?

18. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites | maryweise.com

19. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites | Baked by Rachel

20. Pingback: TodaysMama | Blog | Super Bowl Snack Roundup

21. Pingback: Superbowl Snack Round Up at Today’s Mama | Momfluential Media

22. Pingback: Superbowl Party ideas « newlywedcooks

23. Pingback: Best Super Bowl Recipes | recipegirl.com

24. Pingback: Easy Vegetarian Chili | justfeed.us

25. Pingback: Homemade Tater Tots

26. Pingback: Guide to Super Bowl XLV

27. Pingback: Super Bowl XLV Party! » Dooley Noted Blog

28. Pingback: Superbowl Snack Round Up at Today’s Mama | Your Blog

29. Pingback: Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites « Guerrilla Ontology

30. Pingback: Family Alive » Blog Archive » This Super Bowl Party brought to you by The Packers, Wisconsin Cheese and Chipotle

Nina — February 5, 2011 @ 4:04 pm

These are seriously addicting! So easy to make, too. I just made some for a friend for her 21st birthday, it was a nice variation from traditional birthday goodies like cake and cookies. Instead of plain coarse ground salt on top, I sprinkled them with coarse ground garlic salt- added a slightly different flavor,so tasty!

• twopeas replied: — February 5th, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

Glad you enjoyed them Nina!

Gnu — February 13, 2011 @ 10:47 am

What do you mean by “package” of yeast?

• twopeas replied: — February 13th, 2011 @ 6:33 pm

It is 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast.

• Colleen replied: — February 26th, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

The standard packages of yeast sold in the store. Most conversions list this as 2 1/4 tsp of yeast.

33. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites – A Wrinkle in Thyme

patti — February 20, 2011 @ 1:43 pm

I made these today. A big Hit!

• twopeas replied: — February 20th, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

Glad you liked them!

Whitney — February 26, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

I just made these bites today after drooling over them for a bit. They turned out SO good! I’m already planning a party just so I can make these for my friends! hhaha

36. Pingback: Pizza Pretzel Bites | Two Peas and Their Pod

37. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites | Prevention RD

38. Pingback: Weekly Menu « newlywedcooks

caroline — March 14, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

eww. this did not work well at all! it takes like pure baking soda and i used far less than called for. something went very wrong. i think i’ll throw most of them out. :(

40. Pingback: March Link Love… | All My Loose Ends