Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

On Fridays, I teach cooking classes to two kids in our neighborhood. They are pretty knowledgeable-so my job is easy:) I think it is fantastic that they want to learn how to cook at such a young age-they are in the 3rd and 4th grade. Since we don’t have any kiddos yet, I am glad I get to work with these kids. We have a great time in the kitchen.

On Friday we made homemade soft pretzels,the traditional salty ones and cinnamon and sugar pretzels. We made a cheddar cheese sauce to go with the savory pretzels and a vanilla cream cheese frosting for the cinnamon sugar pretzels. The kids were pros! They did a great job rolling out the dough, twisting, boiling, and baking the pretzels.

For fun, we also made pretzel bites. everyone loved these. They are perfect for dipping and snacking. I think I will make these again on Sunday for our big Super Bowl party…and you should make them too!

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites on twopeasandtheirpod.com Easy to make at home and SO good!

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites Recipe

Is everyone ready for the big game? I will be sharing more Super Bowl friendly recipes this week, so come on back. Here are a few favorites to start out the week:

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites Recipe

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Yield: A lot! Around 5-6 dozen

Cook Time: 18 minutes

Pretzel bites are fun to make and fun to eat!

Soft Pretzels:
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil
3 quarts water
1/2 cup baking soda
1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
Coarse sea salt

For the cheese sauce:
½ Tablespoon unsalted butter
½ Tablespoon all-purpose flour
½ cup milk
8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated

For the Pretzels: Combine the 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Add the salt and flour and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.

Oil a bowl with vegetable oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil in a small roasting pan over high heat and add the baking soda.

Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope measuring 22 inches and shape. Cut the dough into one inch pieces to make the pretzel bites. Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches. We did about 15 bites at a time. Boil for about 30 seconds. Remove with a large slotted spoon. Place pretzel bites on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Make sure they are not touching. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.

Remove to a baking rack and let rest 5 minutes before eating. Serve with cheese sauce.

To make the cheese sauce:
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese until smooth and all of the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

*If you want to make cinnamon and sugar pretzel bites-instead of adding salt, sprinkle the bites with cinnamon and sugar. For the frosting mix-soft cream cheese-about 3 T, powdered sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a little bit of milk. Whisk together. Add more milk if it is too thick, if it is too thin, add more powdered sugar. I don't measure. I just guess until the consistency is right.*

Recipe makes a lot of bites-perfect for sharing!

Adapted from Bobby Flay

Yum Pin It

544 Responses to “Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites”

1. twopeas — December 30, 2010 @ 2:44 pm

I am sure, you need a lot of baking soda to boil the pretzels. You don’t taste it, I promise:)

2. Pingback: The Best of 2010! | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog

3. Karen — December 31, 2010 @ 10:26 am

I just made these and having grown up eating Philly pretzels, I say, “yum”! For the people wondering about too much baking soda, I hope I don’t offend you when I ask if you are using the baking soda in the boiling water bath? Baking soda does not go in the water that the yeast is being dissolved in, only in the water that the pretzel dough will be dipped in for 30 seconds or so before baking. Mine did not taste at all like baking soda. I just hope my family doesn’t eat them all before our guests arrive!

4. twopeas — January 1, 2011 @ 10:50 am

Glad you liked the pretzels. The baking soda goes in the boiling water to boil pretzels!!! You are right!

5. twopeas — January 1, 2011 @ 10:53 am

The baking soda goes in the boiling water, to boil the pretzels. I hope that is clear. Enjoy!

6. Jody, RD — January 4, 2011 @ 7:23 am

What a great treat! As a lover of pretzels, these definitely were delicious! I featured them on my blog – blogfoodbetter.blogspot.com

Thanks for the inspiration!

7. twopeas — January 4, 2011 @ 8:06 am

So glad you liked the pretzels! Yay!

8. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites | thegivenschronicles.com

9. fajas colombianas — January 12, 2011 @ 8:46 am

What I did was to coat them with cheese and bake them, giving them a stronger cheese flavor and a little crunch.

10. Jennie Gift — January 12, 2011 @ 8:48 am

I really want to make these for my book club Friday night but won’t have time to do it right before. Are they still good the next day? If prepared the day before the event?

11. twopeas — January 12, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

I am sure they would still be fine, just put them in an air tight container. Ours never last until the next day:) Have fun!

12. twopeas — January 12, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

Sounds delicious!

13. elicia — January 13, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

Hi,
    This looks fantastic!! I can’t wait to try it, but can you give advice on how to make it without a stand mixer? I don’t have any experience with mixing bread dough. (yet!)
    Thanks,

14. Eliana — January 18, 2011 @ 8:37 am

Hmmm – these look super super delish and like they would make for THE perfect game day snack.

15. Pingback: Do-It-Yourself: Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites :: Money Saving Mom®

16. Tasha — January 18, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

I too was wondering about making them w/out using a stand mixer b/c I don’t own one.

17. Living So Abundantly — January 18, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

Those look amazing! :)

18. twopeas — January 18, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

Just knead the dough with your hands instead of using the mixer. You will get a good workout in:)

19. Richelle Luchkowec — January 19, 2011 @ 9:54 am

Do you think the dough could be made in a bread machine on the dough setting?

20. Caroline — January 19, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

I just made these! After baking, I dipped half of them in a little bowl of melted butter then a bowl of sugar and cinnamon. YUM! The other half I will dip in honey mustard sauce. Thanks!

21. twopeas — January 19, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

Caroline-I am so glad you enjoyed the pretzel bites. Great idea to do sweet and savory!

22. twopeas — January 19, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

I don’t have a bread machine and have never used one, but I am sure it can be done! Give it a try and let me know how they turn out! Thanks for visiting our site.

23. Rene — January 19, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

I make all my yeast dough recipes in the bread machine, whether the recipe is a “bread machine” recipe or not. It’s just a machine. So long as your flour amounts in the recipe do not exceed what your pan can handle, go ahead!

24. Richelle Luchkowec — January 20, 2011 @ 6:49 am

Thanks! I just got my machine last week so I’m still new to it all. I’d much prefer to dump the ingredients and then move onto something else while it prepares the dough. I’ll give it a try and let you guys know how it goes.

25. twopeas — January 20, 2011 @ 7:08 am

Ok, great! good luck!

26. twopeas — January 20, 2011 @ 7:08 am

Great information. Thanks for sharing.

27. Pingback: My Top 10 Favorite Recipe Resources | MichiGirls

28. Pingback: Do-It-Yourself: Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites - The Coupon Cupboard Coupon Forum

29. Jody — January 21, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

Thanks for the recipe – is the baking soda off – I only used half and they are super strong tasting still – plus the water boiled up all over the stove when it reacted with the baking soda.

30. These look sooo yummy! Will give it a shot soon!!! Thanks for posting!

31. twopeas — January 21, 2011 @ 8:25 pm

The baking soda is right, I adapted the pretzel bites from Bobby Flay’s pretzel recipe. You need the baking soda to achieve the brown, chewy crust on the pretzels. Add it slowly to the water. We didn’t taste the baking soda. If it is too strong for you, try using less, but you do need it.

32. twopeas — January 21, 2011 @ 8:25 pm

You are welcome! Enjoy!

33. Sarah G — January 22, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

I made this today and they came out AMAZING! This will be great for parties and such! My husband loved them! Thanks for sharing!

34. twopeas — January 23, 2011 @ 7:24 am

Sarah-glad you had success with the pretzel bites! Thanks for letting us know!

35. Pingback: Homemade Pop Tarts and Pretzel Bites – Part 1 | Is this Eatable?

36. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites | maryweise.com