Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

On Fridays, I teach cooking classes to two kids in our neighborhood. They are pretty knowledgeable-so my job is easy:) I think it is fantastic that they want to learn how to cook at such a young age-they are in the 3rd and 4th grade. Since we don’t have any kiddos yet, I am glad I get to work with these kids. We have a great time in the kitchen.

On Friday we made homemade soft pretzels,the traditional salty ones and cinnamon and sugar pretzels. We made a cheddar cheese sauce to go with the savory pretzels and a vanilla cream cheese frosting for the cinnamon sugar pretzels. The kids were pros! They did a great job rolling out the dough, twisting, boiling, and baking the pretzels.

For fun, we also made pretzel bites. everyone loved these. They are perfect for dipping and snacking. I think I will make these again on Sunday for our big Super Bowl party…and you should make them too!

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites on twopeasandtheirpod.com Easy to make at home and SO good!

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites Recipe

Is everyone ready for the big game? I will be sharing more Super Bowl friendly recipes this week, so come on back. Here are a few favorites to start out the week:

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites Recipe

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Yield: A lot! Around 5-6 dozen

Cook Time: 18 minutes

Pretzel bites are fun to make and fun to eat!

Soft Pretzels:
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil
3 quarts water
1/2 cup baking soda
1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
Coarse sea salt

For the cheese sauce:
½ Tablespoon unsalted butter
½ Tablespoon all-purpose flour
½ cup milk
8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated

For the Pretzels: Combine the 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Add the salt and flour and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.

Oil a bowl with vegetable oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil in a small roasting pan over high heat and add the baking soda.

Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope measuring 22 inches and shape. Cut the dough into one inch pieces to make the pretzel bites. Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches. We did about 15 bites at a time. Boil for about 30 seconds. Remove with a large slotted spoon. Place pretzel bites on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Make sure they are not touching. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.

Remove to a baking rack and let rest 5 minutes before eating. Serve with cheese sauce.

To make the cheese sauce:
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese until smooth and all of the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

*If you want to make cinnamon and sugar pretzel bites-instead of adding salt, sprinkle the bites with cinnamon and sugar. For the frosting mix-soft cream cheese-about 3 T, powdered sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a little bit of milk. Whisk together. Add more milk if it is too thick, if it is too thin, add more powdered sugar. I don't measure. I just guess until the consistency is right.*

Recipe makes a lot of bites-perfect for sharing!

Adapted from Bobby Flay

Yum Pin It

544 Responses to “Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites”

1 3 4 5 6 7 14
  1. Pingback: Best Super Bowl Recipes | recipegirl.com

2. Pingback: Easy Vegetarian Chili | justfeed.us

3. Pingback: Homemade Tater Tots

4. Pingback: Guide to Super Bowl XLV

5. Pingback: Super Bowl XLV Party! » Dooley Noted Blog

6. Pingback: Superbowl Snack Round Up at Today’s Mama | Your Blog

7. Pingback: Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites « Guerrilla Ontology

8. Pingback: Family Alive » Blog Archive » This Super Bowl Party brought to you by The Packers, Wisconsin Cheese and Chipotle

9. Leila Carmel — February 5, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

I definitely would agree…I used this recipe and the entire batch tastes (strongly) like baking soda!! They look great, but I can’t eat a single one. I was so bummed! Next time I will add much less and I’m sure they’ll turn out awesome :)

10. Nina — February 5, 2011 @ 4:04 pm

These are seriously addicting! So easy to make, too. I just made some for a friend for her 21st birthday, it was a nice variation from traditional birthday goodies like cake and cookies. Instead of plain coarse ground salt on top, I sprinkled them with coarse ground garlic salt- added a slightly different flavor,so tasty!

11. twopeas — February 5, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

Glad you enjoyed them Nina!

12. Gnu — February 13, 2011 @ 10:47 am

What do you mean by “package” of yeast?

13. twopeas — February 13, 2011 @ 6:33 pm

It is 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast.

14. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites – A Wrinkle in Thyme

15. patti — February 20, 2011 @ 1:43 pm

I made these today. A big Hit!

16. twopeas — February 20, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

Glad you liked them!

17. Colleen — February 26, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

The standard packages of yeast sold in the store. Most conversions list this as 2 1/4 tsp of yeast.

18. Whitney — February 26, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

I just made these bites today after drooling over them for a bit. They turned out SO good! I’m already planning a party just so I can make these for my friends! hhaha

19. Pingback: Pizza Pretzel Bites | Two Peas and Their Pod

20. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites | Prevention RD

21. Pingback: Weekly Menu « newlywedcooks

22. caroline — March 14, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

eww. this did not work well at all! it takes like pure baking soda and i used far less than called for. something went very wrong. i think i’ll throw most of them out. :(

23. Pingback: March Link Love… | All My Loose Ends

24. LeelaBijou — March 29, 2011 @ 10:18 am

They look yummy, I will try this recipe :)

25. Sri Lanka Tour Packages — March 31, 2011 @ 5:29 am

thanks for this ingredients. i am gonna try this

26. Anna — March 31, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

These are amazing! and so easy to make :)

27. twopeas — March 31, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

Thanks! Glad you like them!

28. Pingback: Weekly Menu | newlywedcooks

29. Pingback: Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites | BobsRecipe

30. Jason — April 15, 2011 @ 7:49 am

Very yummy. Vanila cream cheese frosting? Your the devil.

31. Melissa — June 2, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

These were amazing and every family member who stopped by the house this week ooh’d and ahh’d over them. I haven’t been able to get the cream cheese frosting to come out for the cinnamon and sugar ones. When you say to add powdered sugar is it a little like a few tablespoons or a lot like a cup? I am still learning to cook and am not good at guessing yet. Thanks for your help!

32. Renee — June 2, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

I’m eating some fresh out of the oven right now! My version of heaven! Thanks for the recipe :-)

33. Two Peas — June 2, 2011 @ 5:04 pm

You are welcome!

34. Two Peas — June 2, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

Start with about a cup, add a splash of milk, whisk and check consistency. If it is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add more milk:)

35. Pingback: 42 Delicious Gifts From The Kitchen : Craft Stew

36. Pingback: two types of pretzel bites | In The Oven

37. Kelly Sipan — July 10, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

I made these for a party last night and they were great! I was surprised at how easy they were… I’ve made yeast-bread once before and it seemed a lot more complicated, so I was pleasantly surprised that this was pretty simple.

We had three of us doing the actual rolling/cutting/boiling/brushing egg, which was a good system… I think it would have been a lot harder/longer with just me!

Thanks for the great recipe! :)

38. Two Peas — July 10, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

Glad you enjoyed the pretzel bites. Thanks for letting us know!

39. Pingback: Pretzel Bites | Braised Anatomy

40. Dawn — August 15, 2011 @ 1:16 am

I made this recipe tonight and it turned out wonderfully! They were so amazing! Growing up my best friends mom made homemade pretzel bites and I have since tried duplicating the recipe, I finally found the one! My only thing is, and maybe it’s because I live in Colorado (High Altitude problems) I need to turn the oven down. The pretzels were perfect on top and almost burnt on the bottom, and that was even after I reduced the cooking time by 3 minutes. Absolutely delicious nonetheless! Everyone should make these, so easy!

1 3 4 5 6 7 14