Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

On Fridays, I teach cooking classes to two kids in our neighborhood. They are pretty knowledgeable-so my job is easy:) I think it is fantastic that they want to learn how to cook at such a young age-they are in the 3rd and 4th grade. Since we don’t have any kiddos yet, I am glad I get to work with these kids. We have a great time in the kitchen.

On Friday we made homemade soft pretzels,the traditional salty ones and cinnamon and sugar pretzels. We made a cheddar cheese sauce to go with the savory pretzels and a vanilla cream cheese frosting for the cinnamon sugar pretzels. The kids were pros! They did a great job rolling out the dough, twisting, boiling, and baking the pretzels.

For fun, we also made pretzel bites. everyone loved these. They are perfect for dipping and snacking. I think I will make these again on Sunday for our big Super Bowl party…and you should make them too!

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites Recipe

Is everyone ready for the big game? I will be sharing more Super Bowl friendly recipes this week, so come on back. Here are a few favorites to start out the week:

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites Recipe

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Yield: A lot! Around 5-6 dozen

Cook Time: 18 minutes

Pretzel bites are fun to make and fun to eat!

Soft Pretzels:
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil
3 quarts water
1/2 cup baking soda
1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
Coarse sea salt

For the cheese sauce:
½ Tablespoon unsalted butter
½ Tablespoon all-purpose flour
½ cup milk
8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated

For the Pretzels: Combine the 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Add the salt and flour and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.

Oil a bowl with vegetable oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil in a small roasting pan over high heat and add the baking soda.

Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope measuring 22 inches and shape. Cut the dough into one inch pieces to make the pretzel bites. Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches. We did about 15 bites at a time. Boil for about 30 seconds. Remove with a large slotted spoon. Place pretzel bites on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Make sure they are not touching. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.

Remove to a baking rack and let rest 5 minutes before eating. Serve with cheese sauce.

To make the cheese sauce:
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese until smooth and all of the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

*If you want to make cinnamon and sugar pretzel bites-instead of adding salt, sprinkle the bites with cinnamon and sugar. For the frosting mix-soft cream cheese-about 3 T, powdered sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a little bit of milk. Whisk together. Add more milk if it is too thick, if it is too thin, add more powdered sugar. I don't measure. I just guess until the consistency is right.*

Recipe makes a lot of bites-perfect for sharing!

Adapted from Bobby Flay

Yum Pin It

533 Responses to “Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites”

1 6 7 8 9 10 14
  1. Pingback: Superbowl Sunday « table for two

2. Lisa @ A Little Slice of Life — February 5, 2012 @ 11:32 pm

Thank you for this recipe. I made them today and they were a tital hit. Delish!

3. Pingback: Game Day Recipes | Life @ Trillium

4. Mindy W — February 6, 2012 @ 10:09 am

Made these with my daughter for the Super Bowl and they were a huge hit. Thanks so much!

5. Rebecca — February 7, 2012 @ 1:29 pm

I am from Dallas TX and in all of the Malls we have a Pretzel place called Auntie Anne’s and they have AMAZING pretzels. The reason they are so amazing is cause they do all the different toppings like Garlic Parmesan and my favorite, Sour Cream & Onion. I live in Tyler now and ALWAYS crave soft hot pretzels. I know that now thanks to you, I can make my own Auntie Anne’s pretzels. :) I am thinking of using the powder to make the sour cream and onion dip as the topping to see if that matches Auntie Anne’s. YUM cant wait!! Thanks!!

6. Alex — February 7, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

So I tried making these last night, and I followed the recipe to a T. The dough smelled great, just like a pretzel dough should. After they were baked, they came out of the oven with baking soda around the pretzels (they were golden brown just had white dust all over them). They tasted great when you first bit into them too but after a few seconds they tasted soapy and had a horrible after taste. I want to try to make these again because they look delicious and now Ive been craving them, any suggestions as to what might have gone wrong?

7. Natalie — February 12, 2012 @ 12:07 pm

I’ve tried this recipe twice now, and it’s AMAZING. These are gone within a couple of hours of being made. I’ve also made full-sized pretzels out of the dough, and that works beautifully, too. If you do try it, just be careful when you add the baking soda to the boiling water. The second time I made these it bubbled like mad and overflew all over the stove, haha. My mistake! I would say to just stir in the baking soda at the beginning and let the water come to a boil with it already in there.
    Delicious recipe! Will definitely make lots more.

8. angie — February 13, 2012 @ 11:31 am

I just made these yesterday and they were amazing!! All 4 kids loved them. Will make them regularly and no more mall pretzels for us. Thanks so much!!

9. Pingback: Little Pretzel Bites | agirlacatandakitchen

10. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites | Steeltown Delicious

11. Pingback: Poof! « Shooting and Eating

12. DavetteB — February 21, 2012 @ 3:33 am

These sound delicious! I would add brushing them with melted butter to make them taste like the ones at the mall ;o)

I wonder if you made them a little bigger they would be like the Sister Schubert pretzel rolls – worth a try.

13. Pingback: Soft, Adorable Pretzel Bites |

14. Pingback: » pretzel bites. Carbon Confections

15. Pingback: The One with the Theme |

16. Pingback: Oscar Inspired Dinner Party…Cheese, Beans and Greens, Popcorn, and Whoopie Pies! « Live to Eat, Love to Cook

17. Kelly — March 2, 2012 @ 9:51 pm

I have a question: I have made these AWESOME pretzel bites twice now. The first time was a huge hit with my family. This last time, however, the bites “felt” fine texture-wise, and tasted pretzely, if that makes sense, but they had a VERY bad aftertaste. Is there anything specific you could think of that might cause that? I’m wondering if I overhauled them, because the last cookie sheet full I baked was much better, and I only had them in for 14 minutes. Suggestions?

18. laura — March 10, 2012 @ 11:54 am

Tried these and they’re great! Thanks for the recipe!

19. Martha — March 10, 2012 @ 9:11 pm

I just made these and while the dough is delicious, 3/4 cup of baking soda was WAY too much. It rendered the pretzels almost inedible.

20. Bex — March 10, 2012 @ 10:15 pm

I made these with the intention of having them as a treat for my guests that are coming over in an hour. I seriously just ate almost all of them, so my friends are getting chips and salsa tonight instead haha! It’s a perfect recipe!

21. Melanie {adorkable life} — March 11, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

Just made these to share with the teens I work with at church. They are delicious!

22. Brandy — March 22, 2012 @ 2:36 pm

If I do not have a dough hook, how can I mix the dough?

23. Two Peas — March 22, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

You can knead the dough by hand!

24. Ashley — March 23, 2012 @ 1:07 am

Thanks for this awesome recipe! I’m a little bummed because I too had the disgusting baking soda taste! I wonder what makes some of us have it and some not? I made homemade pretzels before but used whole wheat flour and didn’t use baking soda. They tasted fine but were not very appealing to the eye. :) Did you use a certain brand of baking soda? Did I soak too long? I’m baffled!

25. Jon — March 24, 2012 @ 10:34 pm

I just mad full sized pretzels with tho recipe and I already want to
    Ale more. They are amazing! I wonder if they are freezable?

26. Two Peas — March 24, 2012 @ 10:48 pm

Yes, you can freeze the pretzels! Glad you liked them!

27. Ivy — March 27, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

I have made these twice now and have ‘baking soda’ issues both times. The first time the water foamed up all over the stove–it was a mess! The second time used a different pot (a tall soup pot )but the water was so foamy that it was hard to find the bites in the water, it took two of us-one scooping and the other ‘blowing the foam down’ trying to keep it under control. After reading the comments, I am wondering if 1)the type of pot used is making a difference (aluminum vs other metal) or 2) if the water is boiling down to quickly making the water/baking soda ratio off or 3) if there is a difference if using ‘soft’ or conditioned water? Just trying to think thru the process to understand what could be causing the different reactions. The first batch tasted great, the second were still yummy, just a bit ‘baking soda-ish’ but with the dips, we still ate them all. cheese dip, marinara, honey butter, cinnamon syrup, etc…. would appreciate feed back as the whole family is really anxious to get this down as they are now our favorite Family Game Nite treat!

28. Two Peas — March 28, 2012 @ 10:14 am

Sorry you had issues. We use a stainless steal-large soup pot. Add the baking soda in slowly. We use water from our faucet, nothing special:) I hope this helps. I am really not sure why you had such differences in the batches!

29. Ivy — March 28, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

Not sure why the differences either, but we will be making more! they are just to yummy not to. thanks for the feedback. how high of a temp do you keep the water at once the baking soda is in? a high full rolling boil or a lower ‘simmer’?

30. Two Peas — March 28, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

I wish I could come bake with you so we could figure it out:) We do turn it down a bit, probably to medium heat, but the water is still boiling a bit, just not going crazy. I hope that helps!

31. Ivy — March 28, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

We are going to try this again this weekend, so I will let you know! Thanks for the help

32. Molly — April 3, 2012 @ 6:18 pm

I’m wondering if this recipe is possible without a bread hook. Also, do you have to use unsalted butter?

33. Molly — April 3, 2012 @ 10:59 pm

Tried them out. Yummy!! but quite salty.

34. Coby — April 9, 2012 @ 6:54 pm

Just made these this afternoon for a snack – SO good! As in, Hubby and I probably ate enough for them to count as dinner!

35. Two Peas — April 10, 2012 @ 5:26 pm

Glad you liked the pretzel bites!!

36. Pingback: pre-dinner snacks | Pearltrees

37. Pingback: Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzel Recipe | Homemade Pretzel Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

38. Donna — April 27, 2012 @ 11:26 am

These were so easy and so amazingly delicious. I cannot believe how many it made. I stored them in a ziplock bag overnight after completely cooling the pretzels. The next day they were not nearly as tasty. The salt kind of dissolved into the pretzels. Any recommendations as to storing the leftover pretzels? I was thinking of freezing them right away and then re-heating them in the oven.

39. Two Peas — April 27, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

The pretzels probably got too moist in the bag. You can put them in an container and crack the lid or leave them out. Freezing will work as well!

40. Pingback: Homemade Pretzel Bites « Motherhood Mania