Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

On Fridays, I teach cooking classes to two kids in our neighborhood. They are pretty knowledgeable-so my job is easy:) I think it is fantastic that they want to learn how to cook at such a young age-they are in the 3rd and 4th grade. Since we don’t have any kiddos yet, I am glad I get to work with these kids. We have a great time in the kitchen.

On Friday we made homemade soft pretzels,the traditional salty ones and cinnamon and sugar pretzels. We made a cheddar cheese sauce to go with the savory pretzels and a vanilla cream cheese frosting for the cinnamon sugar pretzels. The kids were pros! They did a great job rolling out the dough, twisting, boiling, and baking the pretzels.

For fun, we also made pretzel bites. everyone loved these. They are perfect for dipping and snacking. I think I will make these again on Sunday for our big Super Bowl party…and you should make them too!

IMG_0918

Is everyone ready for the big game? I will be sharing more Super Bowl friendly recipes this week, so come on back. Here are a few favorites to start out the week:

Buffalo Hot Wings-these are Josh’s all time favorite. They are always a hit and perfect for the big game.
Chicken Smothered Nachos-we made these last year and everyone loved them. They are loaded with goodness!
Pizza Stromboli with Spinach, Mushrooms, and Cheese-the great taste of pizza in one big roll!
Black Bean Soup with Spicy Corn Muffins-perfect for serving up a crowd!

My good friend Gaby, from What’s Gaby Cooking, made Pulled Pork Sliders for the big game. Go check out the recipe-it’s a good one!

IMG_0898

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Yield: A lot! Around 5-6 dozen

Cook Time: 18 minutes

Pretzel bites are fun to make and fun to eat!

Soft Pretzels:
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil
3 quarts water
1/2 cup baking soda
1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
Coarse sea salt

For the cheese sauce:
½ Tablespoon unsalted butter
½ Tablespoon all-purpose flour
½ cup milk
8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated

For the Pretzels: Combine the 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Add the salt and flour and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.

Oil a bowl with vegetable oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil in a small roasting pan over high heat and add the baking soda.

Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope measuring 22 inches and shape. Cut the dough into one inch pieces to make the pretzel bites. Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches. We did about 15 bites at a time. Boil for about 30 seconds. Remove with a large slotted spoon. Place pretzel bites on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Make sure they are not touching. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.

Remove to a baking rack and let rest 5 minutes before eating. Serve with cheese sauce.

To make the cheese sauce:
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese until smooth and all of the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

*If you want to make cinnamon and sugar pretzel bites-instead of adding salt, sprinkle the bites with cinnamon and sugar. For the frosting mix-soft cream cheese-about 3 T, powdered sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a little bit of milk. Whisk together. Add more milk if it is too thick, if it is too thin, add more powdered sugar. I don't measure. I just guess until the consistency is right.*

Recipe makes a lot of bites-perfect for sharing!

Adapted from Bobby Flay

493 Responses to “Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites”

MirmQ — February 4, 2013 @ 1:07 pm

I just tried these for Super Bowl Sunday. It seemed like a large amount of baking soda, and I felt like I could taste the soda on the pretzels after baking. Is it possible to do this with less baking soda?

2. Pingback: Homemade Pretzels Bites with Cheddar Cheese Sauce

Tiffany — February 15, 2013 @ 7:52 pm

Can these still be made if I don’t have a stand mixer or dough hook. If so, I would love advice on how to make these yummy pretzels. :)

4. Pingback: Jalapeno Cheddar Beer Bread | It's Good to be the Cook

5. Pingback: 52 weeks of Bread: Weeks 6-8 | My Yummy Local Life

6. Pingback: Easy Vegetarian Chili | Two Peas & Their Pod

7. Pingback: Peanut Butter Filled Pretzel Bites | Soft Pretzel Bites | Two Peas & Their Pod

8. Pingback: Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites with Salted Caramel Dipping Sauce | Kevin & Amanda's Recipes

9. Pingback: recipe round-up (part IV) | spill the beans

Wendy — March 22, 2013 @ 7:06 pm

The pretzels are amazing. My kids ate them up. Thanks for a great recipe. I will definitely make them again. Question? I made the cheese sauce, too, but mine turned out grainy. Any idea what I did wrong?

Jill — March 26, 2013 @ 8:28 am

I made these last night and they were delicious! The cheese dipping sauce was amazing, as well. I didn’t realize how strongly baking soda would react with boiling water and dumped the entire 3/4C baking soda into the water at once. Ooops! Haha. Learned my lesson for next time. Great recipe, my husband told me I have to add it into the rotation.

Ash — April 4, 2013 @ 9:22 pm

These were good but I think the temp is a little too high. The tops and bottoms were basically burned and the inside was still a little doughy. Will make these again using a different temp but thanks for the recipe!

13. Pingback: 52 Weeks of bread: weeks 9-13 | My Yummy Local Life

cat care and safety — April 11, 2013 @ 1:46 pm

I will right away snatch your rss feed as I can not to find
    your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service.

Do you’ve any? Kindly let me recognise in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

15. Pingback: Nutella Bella Bites | delicontessa

16. Pingback: 52 Weeks of Bread- Weeks 14-18 | My Yummy Local Life

17. Pingback: Pretzel Bites (#8) | Baking Through the Year

Kelci — May 24, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

They look really good, but does the water solution really require 3/4 cup of baking soda? That seems like way too much!

• Two Peas replied: — May 24th, 2013 @ 1:27 pm

I’ve cut it back to 2/3 cup and it works just fine.

19. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites | Metro Gallery

20. Pingback: 52 Weeks of Bread- weeks 19-22 | My Yummy Local Life

Siarra — July 9, 2013 @ 1:37 pm

These were so good but a little on the salty side. :( I don’t know what exactly went wrong there………..

22. Pingback: Something for the Boys and Girls | mrspotandmrlid

Katie — July 22, 2013 @ 10:58 am

I made this and they came out perfect! I just scaled down the water to 2 qts and used 1/2 cup. of baking soda.

ice cream makers — August 2, 2013 @ 6:02 am

I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet visitors, its really really fastidious article on building up new weblog.

25. Pingback: 52 weeks of bread- 24-32 | My Yummy Local Life

26. Pingback: Football Season Snacks - Lipgloss and Crayons

27. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites | Alexa's Mom

28. Pingback: Homemade Pretzels and a Humid Run | A Knack For Nutrition

Jennifer — September 15, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

These came out incredible!! I’ve always had bad luck making anything that involves yeast but everything went perfectly with these. The only thing I found is it only took 6-6 1/2 minutes for them to finish baking. My husband said these were so much better then the ones that we love to eat at our local mall. To me that’s the highest of compliments :) I’ll be making these many more times this fall/winter. Next time I’ll try the cinnamon/sugar ones!

30. Pingback: Snacks and Dessert | Frosting & Facials

31. Pingback: Soft Pretzel Bites with White Cheddar Dipping Sauce | Celebrating Sweets

32. Pingback: Basket of Links 9/27/13 | Thriving is Better

33. Pingback: 52 weeks of Bread- 33-38 | My Yummy Local Life

34. Pingback: Oktoberfest Recipe – Soft Pretzels Bites, Vegan Spaetzel and Raw Marzipan | MySource Consulting

35. Pingback: 30+ Game Day Recipes | Pocket Change Gourmet

Jess balo — October 23, 2013 @ 2:55 am

I made these tonight and what a success! Thank you for such a simple easy recipe, but after looking at other pretzel recipes I’ve noticed they all require much less baking soda in the boiling water… I’m wondering if 3/4 cup is really necessary? Because I plan on absolutely making these again!

Jenny — October 28, 2013 @ 10:42 am

These are a-ma-zing!!! Best recipe I have found yet

Kris — October 28, 2013 @ 6:23 pm

Thanks for sharing. Can the dough be frozen? If so, at what stage in the recipe can the dough be frozen, eg. before/after the dough rises, after boiled & cooled…? Or is freezing not recommended?

Kristin — November 12, 2013 @ 1:08 pm

You may have answered this, but how long can you store them before eating?

40. Pingback: Pretzel Bites Recipe -