Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas

I’ve shared two indulgent holiday cookies this week, Chocolate Chip Peppermint Crunch Cookies and Red Velvet Cheesecake Cookies. I figured it was time to share a healthier holiday treat-Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas. If you haven’t tried roasted chickpeas, you are missing out. They are easy to make and one of my favorite snacks. You can season them in a variety of ways, but these Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas are perfect for the holiday season.

If you are a fan of the cinnamon roasted almonds that are commonly served in shopping malls, you will love these roasted chickpeas. They have the same flavor. I’ve made Cinnamon Roasted Almonds before, but since Josh is allergic to nuts, he couldn’t taste them. These Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas are a great alternative for those who are allergic to nuts.

I love that this recipe only has five ingredients. I bet you have everything in your pantry to make them right now. They are simple to make and will make your house smell amazing! The chickpeas are crunchy, sweet, and  highly addictive. Make a double or triple batch if you plan on sharing:)

Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas are a great healthy snack-perfect for munching on while you watch your favorite Christmas movies. They also make a great gift. Place them in a mason jar, festive box or bag and give them out to your family and friends this year. Everyone will appreciate a healthier treat during this sugar overloaded month.

Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas

Yield: 2 cups roasted chickpeas

Cook Time: 35-40 minutes

Sweet and crunchy Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas make a great healthy snack. They are simple to make and will remind you of your favorite roasted cinnamon nuts. They also make a great gift during the holiday season.

1 (15 ounce can) chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon honey

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Drain chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and rinse them under cold water until starch is removed. Place chickpeas on a paper towel to dry. You can peel of the skins if you wish.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, cinnamon, and sugar. Place chickpeas in bowl and stir until all of the chickpeas are evenly coated. Spread out the chickpeas on a large baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until chickpeas are crunchy and no longer soft in the middle.

4. Place hot, roasted chickpeas in a small bowl and coat evenly with honey. Spread chickpeas back out on baking sheet and allow to dry. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Note: This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.

Recipe from The Pastry Affair

If you like these Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas, you might also like:

139 Responses to “Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas”

wendy — January 8, 2012 @ 11:22 pm

would love an alternative flavoring to this, as im allerigic to real cinnamon…..but they sound great.

2. Pingback: Holiday Cooking FAIL: Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas | mainebelle

3. Pingback: Some of my (new) favorite snacks « Baby Makes Three

Cassie — February 15, 2012 @ 10:03 pm

Thank you so much for this idea! I’ve been looking for the perfect recipe to try and this was it! Thank you!

5. Pingback: Chickpeas: What To Do With Them | Fusspotato (in Recovery)

Donna L — March 1, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

I used an additional 1.5 teaspoons of olive oil (the mixture was too dry without it) and substituted Splenda Blend for the sugar (1 T instead of 2). They are fantastic! My only problem is limiting how many I eat! Thanks for this fantastic recipe.

7. Pingback: kulinarisches vom wochenende | girl meets world

8. Pingback: Healthy Snack Recipes: Roasted Chickpeas « thejerp

Alex — April 11, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

Can I use this recipe even though the chickpeas are already dried?

• Two Peas replied: — April 11th, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

You can use dried chickpeas instead of canned. Just follow the instructions for cooking the dried chickpeas.

10. Pingback: Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas | Vylette

mrsblocko — June 3, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

These are by far my favorite way to eat roast chickpeas. I wrote about them on my blog here. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!

12. Pingback: Marvelous in My Monday {2} | Goober Nut's Life

13. Pingback: 28 Healthy Snacks | The Food Charlatan

14. Pingback: Playing Catch Up | gluten free zen

Katie — September 14, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

Im almost drooling at the thought of these. I started out with a search for sweet chickpeas and have hit the jackpot with this. I might even make a double batch and process 1/2 into a sweet tasty chickpea butter. Thanks

16. Pingback: Roasted Chickpeas – 2 Ways – Parmesan and Honey Cinnamon

Rachel — October 13, 2012 @ 3:59 pm

I wouldn’t leave these out at room temperature very long. Chickpeas are beans after all, and can go bad. They aren’t like nuts in that way. You don’t want to give the gift of food poisoning! So just remember to refrigerate this sweet treat. :-)

Ruth C — November 8, 2012 @ 6:29 pm

I made these last night — couple comments:
    1. house smelled GREAT
    2. I think I didn’t cook mine long enough. I baked them at 375 for 45 mins, and gave them a stir every 15 mins. I’d made a savory roasted chickpea recipe before that said to bake at 400, so next time I make these I’ll try that temp. I stirred every 15 mins for that recipe too, but I can’t remember if I baked them for 45 mins or a full hour. (Oh well. This is why I’m not a scientist.) In any case, they turned out with about half the batch crunchy, and half the batch aaaallmost crunchy — like stale cereal. So I think I needed to leave them in a little longer.
    3. The honey didn’t dry completely, so they were still a little bit tacky to the touch. None of this stopped me from gobbling them down 5 or 6 at a time.
    4. The honey-cinnamon taste reminded me of a cinnamon breakfast cereal, but the crunch was a snackfood all its own.

The nice thing about these is that they’re gluten-free — so they’d make a nice gift for people who can’t tolerate wheat.

Someone else mentioned cajun seasoning… I bet Old Bay would be good too…

Lastly, I read on the Oprah blog that an easy way to dry them is to put a kitchen towel down on top of your cookie sheet, and put the rinsed chickpeas onto the towel, and shake the cookie sheet so they roll around and dry themselves. Then pull out the towel so the peas fall onto the cookie sheet. Easy PEASY! (hehehe)

And if it weren’t for all the caramelizing sugar in this recipe, I’d have been able to just give the cookie sheet a shake to stir them during baking. But for this recipe I did have to take the pan out of the oven and stir them up with a spatula. Still no big hassle.

Beth — November 29, 2012 @ 10:54 pm

These look great, but actually aren’t vegan. Honey is an animal product! Do you think maple syrup or agave would work?

Karyn — January 1, 2013 @ 5:18 pm

Dear heavens, I’ve started the new year off with a new addiction. These are so so good. I’ve eaten about half of them already and they’ve only been out of the oven an hour.

• Two Peas replied: — January 1st, 2013 @ 5:45 pm

Glad you like them! Happy New Year!

21. Pingback: Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas… Round One. « Dehviant

22. Pingback: Honey Roasted Chickpeas « The Princess and the Chickpea

23. Pingback: roasted curried chickpeas with rosemary « Recipes Remembered

24. Pingback: The Season of Cooking… and Giving : Thermador Home Appliance Blog

gretchen — March 1, 2013 @ 3:10 pm

honey is not a vegan food because it is made from animals. Agave nectar might be a better substitute

• Two Peas replied: — March 1st, 2013 @ 4:52 pm

Thanks for catching that! I updated the category!

Tina @ Tina's Chic — March 21, 2013 @ 7:46 pm

These look so simple and delicious. Did you peel the skins off the chic peas?

Tina @ Tina's Chic — March 23, 2013 @ 9:14 pm

I made these today and love them! I’ll be posting it on my blog tomorrow. Thanks again for a great recipe!

• Two Peas replied: — March 24th, 2013 @ 9:46 am

Glad you liked them!

28. Pingback: Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chick Peas #Recipe #Healthy | Paranormal Romance and Romantic Suspense Author Caridad Pineiro

Sweetsugarbelle — May 1, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

I love it when I Google something and up pops a friend. This happens with you a lot. I’ve seen these when you first posted but somehow they slipped my mind. Cannot wait to try these as a healthier substitute to churros! Thanks!

30. Pingback: Mama WeekCrafting Monday | A Nourishing Home

jggidy jig — June 10, 2013 @ 6:22 am

of all the people who posted a comment, it looks like one or two THAT TRIED THE RECIPE. Who cares that you are planning to try the recipe. That’s not very helpful. How about saving us the trouble of having to read your plans, and only post if you trie the recipe. That would be helpful.
    I did, in fact, try the recipe and found it delicious and simple.
    Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Lenny Rojas — June 11, 2013 @ 7:38 pm

Hello!
    The garbanzos are previous cooked, like when you buy the can of garbanzos? or are they un-cooked?
    Thanks!!

• Two Peas replied: — June 11th, 2013 @ 7:40 pm

I use canned.

33. Pingback: Honey Roasted Chickpeas « wafoodie

Ariel — August 11, 2013 @ 1:55 am

I just made a variation of these from a friend’s recipe and they are do delicious! A year-round snack and sweet treat. In the recipe I followed, I used olive oil(only 1 tbs), an extra .25 tbs nutmeg and .25 cinnamon. Also I love my chick peas soon after finished cooking as well as the center slightly soft, outside hard.

35. Pingback: 3 DIY Gifts People Actually Crave | Blog – Events, Food & Catering trends and more!

36. Pingback: 30 Snack Recipes to Make & Take - Comic Con Family

37. Pingback: Real Real « A Day In The Life « OHMYDALIA – bringing blogs together

Sadye — January 2, 2014 @ 5:18 pm

These are delicious! Can’t wait to try more.

Ashley — June 13, 2014 @ 2:54 pm

I just found out that I am insulin resistant and was looking for a sweet snack food that would be acceptable for my diet. I used coconut oil, agave nectar, and coconut palm sugar and it was so good! I also roasted it at 400 because a few people had commented them not being cooked enough and they turned out great! Cant wait to make more!

40. Pingback: April: Go Meatless! | Let's Get Together