Leftover Cranberry Sauce Muffins

Leftover Cranberry Sauce Muffins

We hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving filled with good food and fun. Is your refrigerator overflowing with Thanksgiving leftovers? If you are wondering what to do with your leftover cranberry sauce, try our cranberry orange muffins. Fresh cranberry sauce is the secret ingredient inside these delicious muffins.

The muffin batter is easy to whip up and leftover cranberry sauce is hidden inside each muffin. Before baking, you add a big spoonful of cranberry sauce in between the muffin batter. I also sprinkled the muffin tops with turbinado sugar to add sweetness and a sugary crunch. I love the deep cranberry red color that is in the middle of these marvelous muffins! They are tart, sweet, and delightful!

If you still have guests to feed this weekend or need a sweet treat after your Black Friday shopping, make a batch of leftover cranberry sauce muffins. And don’t worry if  you didn’t make cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving this year, you can still make these muffins. Our fresh cranberry orange sauce is a breeze to make and these muffins are worth it.

*Don’t forget to enter our giveaway for a $250 gift card to Best Buy!

Leftover Cranberry Sauce Muffins

Yield: 6 large muffins

Cook Time: 15-17 minutes

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup fresh cranberry orange sauce (about 2 tablespoons per muffin)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease well. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Rub in sugar and orange zest together. Whisk into dry ingredients.

3. In a separate medium bowl, whisk canola oil, egg, milk, and vanilla together.

5. Incorporate the wet ingredients into flour mixture. Add slowly and gently stir together. The batter will be thick.

6. Place half the batter at the bottom of six muffin cups. Spoon about two tablespoons of fresh cranberry sauce on top of the muffin batter. Top muffins evenly with remaining muffin batter. Sprinkle each muffin generously with turbinado sugar.

7. Bake muffins for 15-17 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the pan and let cool on a cooling rack.

*Note-if you don't have leftover cranberry sauce, it is easy to make a fresh batch. This recipe makes only six muffins-if you need more, feel free to double it!

If you like these leftover cranberry sauce muffins, you might also like:

Yogurt Cranberry Coffeecake from Elle’s New England Kitchen
Cranberry Salsa from Savoring the Thyme
Cranberry Applesauce from Simply Recipes

79 Responses to “Leftover Cranberry Sauce Muffins”

1. Pingback: Cafe Zupas » Blog Archive » recipe: sweet & spicy turkey quesadillas

2. Pingback: A Change-Up for Thanksgiving Leftovers

3. Pingback: Thanksgiving is over. Now what?? 50 Leftover Recipes!! « Randomosity Blog

4. Pingback: What To Do With Thanksgiving Leftovers « Coborn's Blog

Marty — November 26, 2011 @ 9:48 am

I make lists for everthing! They help keep me organized, even though I don’t always get through all the items on them.

Lisa — November 26, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

I am baking these right now and they are still doughy in the middle. I have left them in the oven now for 20 min on 400. ??? What did I do wrong?

crystal — November 26, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

You must have huge muffin pans! I made these tonight and got 12 full size muffins. They are the prettiest muffins ive ever made. I subbed in 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and applesauce for the oil

RayeofSunshine — November 27, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

I am so glad I came across this recipe! I made these a few hours ago and they are awesome! I made my own cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving, and I had plenty left over (and not much of anything else left over). I doubled the recipe and it made 12 medium size muffins. I don’t have a proper citrus zester so I had to use a cheese grater which resulted in huge chunks of orange zest; next time I’ll be sure to use a proper zester. However, those bites that had a combination of muffin, cranberry, and orange zest were HEAVENLY! I still have sauce left over and I think I just might have to make another batch. :) Thanks for sharing! :D

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — November 29, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

great idea!! these looks awesome – as all your goodies do.

Kyra — November 30, 2011 @ 11:32 am

Yum! I just made these and they were delicious! I used white whole wheat flour because it’s what I always have in the house. I also used canned cranberry (organic full berry version) because I had it in the house. And I used half brown sugar and half white. So yummy! Thanks!

• Two Peas replied: — November 30th, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

You are welcome! Glad you liked the muffins!

11. Pingback: Recipes for Christmas Leftovers DFW Mama

marla — November 17, 2012 @ 10:38 am

Love this recipe! Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post :)

13. Pingback: Thanksgiving Leftovers: 50 Totally Awesome Recipes on FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking

14. Pingback: Thanksgiving Grocery Shopping and Leftovers - Penny Wise Moms

15. Pingback: Thanksgiving Recipe Round-up | Emma's Baking Addiction

16. Pingback: Recipe ideas for Thanksgiving leftovers | Garnish with Lemon

17. Pingback: Fridays with Rachael Ray - Cranberry Sauce Over Pound Cake |

Sarah — November 24, 2012 @ 12:46 pm

I just made these muffins for breakfast. I doubled the recipe and used coconut oil instead of canola. I found that only about half the dry ingredients were incorporated and had to add almost 1 more cup of milk. Even then the batter was still very thick (like paste), but since the recipe said it would be thick, I went with it. They turned out beautifully. I ate three ;) I used coconut sugar to sprinkle the top, and it made it sweet and crispy. Will definitely be making again, maybe with a jam filling. Have you frozen them? Just wondering if they would taste the same after being frozen.

• Two Peas replied: — November 24th, 2012 @ 1:16 pm

I am glad you enjoyed the muffins. Yes, you can freeze them! Just store in an air tight container or freezer bag.

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — November 24, 2012 @ 8:47 pm

Omg no way! What a unique leftovers recipe! These look super yummy!

20. Pingback: Food,Fork,Plate & Handful of Joy – Cranberry Sauce Muffins

21. Pingback: Over 20 Ways to Use Thanksgiving Leftovers - Holly's Helpings

22. Pingback: 30 Things to do with Thanksgiving Leftovers - Rachel Cooks

23. Pingback: 15 Fun Thanksgiving Leftover Recipes

24. Pingback: 120 Amazing Thanksgiving Leftover Recipes

25. Pingback: A Few Great Leftover Ideas – Bites of Bri

26. Pingback: 30+ Things To Make With Your Thanksgiving Leftovers - Total Noms

Jaime — November 29, 2013 @ 5:19 pm

What does “rub” mean in terms of the orange zest and sugar please? Someone….??? Im unsure of the Google results for the query…and I really want to make these.

Thanks

Jaime

28. Pingback: 7 delicious recipes for Thanksgiving leftovers

Abbie @ Needs Salt — November 30, 2013 @ 3:42 pm

This is such a cute and clever way to use up leftover cranberry sauce! These muffins look absolutely delectable.
    Pinned!

Alex — December 1, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

Definitely needed more wet ingredients. I added more almond milk, but I would probably just do an equal amount of all wet ingredients next time. Very dense.

Melissa — December 4, 2013 @ 9:37 pm

I made these muffins tonight. They are very good. I doubled the recipe and made 24 standard size muffins. I followed the recipe except that I folded the cranberry sauce into the batter. I’ll be saving this recipe for next year.

Kristen — December 11, 2013 @ 9:13 pm

I just made these tonight for a breakfast tomorrow with my colleagues and I could not eat a full one but the little piece I had was tasty and moist. Batter will be thick as stated. I also gave a piece to my mom and she also liked it. Great recipe!

Me — December 15, 2013 @ 2:14 pm

Is this recipe for 6 large muffins (like the kind you get at the deli), or 6 regular size muffins. If it is for the large muffins, how long would ou bake them for if you wanted to just make the standard muffins?