Lemon Ricotta Blackberry Muffins

Blackberries have always been my favorite berry. I used to pick gallons and gallons of blackberries every summer when I was in grade school. We were lucky that our property was surrounded by wild blackberries. I miss the days of blackberry picking. We had fun and our kitchen was overflowing with blackberries during the summer months. I still love blackberries, but hate paying an arm and leg for them:) I recently splurged and bought blackberries at the store so I could make Lemon Ricotta Blackberry Muffins.

I love baking with ricotta cheese. I have made cookies, pound cake, pancakes, and more cookies. I can’t stop myself, I am addicted to ricotta. It never lets me down. These muffins include ricotta cheese, fresh lemon juice, and zest. Plump, juicy blackberries are hidden inside to create a burst of berry flavor. The muffins are delicate, moist, and have a slight crunch from the sugary muffin tops.

We enjoyed the muffins as soon as they came out of the oven. Josh and I both declared these Lemon Ricotta Blackberry Muffins as our all time favorite muffin recipe. They are perfect. I am going to have to splurge on blackberries more often, because these muffins are worth it!

Lemon Ricotta Blackberry Muffins

Yield: Makes 12 muffins

Cook Time: 20 minutes

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
Zest of 2 lemons
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup ricotta cheese (whole or low-fat is fine)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blackberries
Turbinado sugar-for sprinkling on muffin tops

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, add the sugar and lemon zest. Rub the lemon zest and sugar together with your fingers. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar and lemon zest mixture together until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Add the ricotta cheese and beat until smooth. Beat in the egg, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.

3. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just blended. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, fill each muffin cup half way with batter. Add three blackberries to each muffin cup. Top the muffins with remaining batter so blackberries are covered. Generously sprinkle turbinado sugar over each muffin top.

4. Bake muffins for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are slightly golden brown. Let muffins cool for five minutes and serve.

If you like these Lemon Ricotta Blackberry Muffins, you might also like:

Blackberry Lime Muffins from Two Peas and Their Pod
Meyer Lemon-Ricotta Muffins from Recipe Girl
Raspberry Topped Lemon Muffins from Smitten Kitchen
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins from Simply Recipes

141 Responses to “Lemon Ricotta Blackberry Muffins”

Sara at Cook with Sara — May 24, 2011 @ 7:33 am

I posted these on my blog yesterday, with a link back here. I think they may be my new favorite muffin!

2. Pingback: Lemon Blackberry Ricotta Muffins « Krafted by Kelly

Caroline — June 22, 2011 @ 9:26 am

I went blackberry picking this weekend and this was the recipe I decided to go with to use up my blackberries. They are hands down the best muffins I have ever made! (and I made your blueberry sauce to go over pancakes last night….YUM!)

Alyssa — June 23, 2011 @ 11:32 am

Just made these with my 9 month old =) She played with measuring cups more than helped, but we both loved the end result. These are absolutely delicious.

5. Pingback: Blackberry Spritzers and a Mojito | TasteFood

debbie hosaflook — July 21, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Just wanted you to know I just made your Lemon Ricotta Blackberry Muffins and they are DELICIOUS!!! Trying to make alot of noise down here in the kitchen to my boys will wake up and come get them while they are warm. We have lots of Blackberries on our bushes this year and I will be taking full advantage of them with this recipe. Going to visit my parents this weekend in Richmond, Va. and I will be sure to bake a batch to take to them. Thanks for this super yummy treat:)

• Two Peas replied: — July 21st, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

I am jealous you have blackberry bushes:) Glad you liked the muffins!

Mestebla — July 21, 2011 @ 10:14 pm

I just took my first bite out of these and wow! I will definitely be making them again. I made mine with raspberries instead of blackberries because that’s what we have right now and I love them. Thanks for a great recipe!

cherie — July 30, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

these look amazing!! i think i’ll try making them today!

Kallie — August 5, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

I made these with raspeberries instead of blackberries and they were delish!! I was surprised at how thick the batter was but was so pleasantly surprised by the yummy texture of the muffins. A new favorite of mine.

Jessica — August 7, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

I can’t wait to make these muffins. I love blackberries!

Cooks_Books — August 7, 2011 @ 5:26 pm

I was wondering what I wanted to do with some ricotta left over from a pasta dish, and then I spotted this (from StumbleUpon). I’d never tried ricotta in muffins. These turned out wonderfully – thanks!

Meg — August 14, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

I just tried this recipe(I found it in the Summer- where women cook) And loved it so much. Super yummy.
    I have bookmarked your site to come back and try more of your recipes. Thanks so much for sharing .

• Two Peas replied: — August 15th, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

Glad you enjoyed the muffins! Come back anytime:)

13. Pingback: Blackberry Spelt Bread – Reluctant Entertainer - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening by Sandy Coughlin

Jolien — September 22, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

I tried these, and my mom said it were the best muffins I ever baked, and I bake a lot of muffins/cupcakes :).

• Two Peas replied: — September 22nd, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

They are one of my favorites too:)

15. Pingback: The hierarchy of muffins, with a recipe for sweet potato muffins | Repetition Is Key

Pamela — November 4, 2011 @ 11:39 pm

Delicious!

17. Pingback: Lemon and Cherry Muffins | Never Enough Thyme - Recipes and food photographs with a slight southern accent.

Leyla — December 18, 2011 @ 9:12 pm

oh yumyum. I just made these but with a few changes. We didnt have lemons so I used limes instead. Also added a few TBS’s of yogurt because I ran out of ricotta and left out the sugar at the top because I completely forgot about that.

Still, they came out real good. But the limes take more center stage than the blackberries in this muffin. If I make this again I think I would fold about 1/4 of my blackberries into the batter. Sure it would be purple but better purple than the never-seen-the sun pale color mine were. xD Thanks for the recipe!

Su — December 31, 2011 @ 7:15 pm

I made these yesterday for my office and again this morning for my hubby and picky daughter. They went over well. I have to say that my “batter” was more like dough but the end product was very nice. Also the batch I made today I ran out of blackberries so the last few had strawberries and they were good – not as good as the blackberry but still way above average for muffins.

20. Pingback: Lemon Ricotta Blackberry Muffins | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Tracy — January 15, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

I ran into a sale of blackberry. Just .99 a container, so I bought 4. My husband loves eating them but I had so many and had no idea what to do with them. When I saw you post this recipe I realized I had all the ingredients. I had to make them. They just came out of the oven and they are delicious! So pretty and perfect. Great recipe!

• Two Peas replied: — January 15th, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

Glad you enjoyed the muffins!

22. Pingback: A breakfast treat for my valentine. « cook.can.read

Kat — March 12, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

These are baking away in my oven now. Used frozen berries. Smelling delish.

mary beth — March 19, 2012 @ 8:35 am

Thank you so much for this recipe, made it for a snack for a hiking-picnic lunch. Everyone thought they were delish! Ricotta really adds a wonderful texture to baked goods!! So glad to add this fantastic recipe to my collection!!

Karen — June 5, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

I just made these this afternoon. Devine!

• Two Peas replied: — June 5th, 2012 @ 11:49 pm

So glad you liked the muffins!

Elizabeth — June 14, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

These are the BEST muffins I have ever made! Amazing!

• Two Peas replied: — June 14th, 2012 @ 11:08 pm

We love them too! Glad you enjoyed them!

27. Pingback: Buncha Muncha Brunch

lynn @ the actors diet — June 18, 2012 @ 11:50 am

my friend brought these to brunch today:

AMAZING!

29. Pingback: Failure. Tasty, tasty failure. « Knitting, reading, photography, and maybe more

These muffins were amazing! I served them to company last weekend, and they got rave reviews. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

• Two Peas replied: — July 20th, 2012 @ 8:44 am

You are welcome! They are one of my favorite muffins!

31. Pingback: Sweet Pea's Kitchen » Lemon Ricotta Blackberry Muffins

32. Pingback: Recipe Round-up: 25 Great Blackberry Recipes | Emma's Baking Addiction

33. Pingback: Lemon Blackberry Ricotta Muffins « welldined.com

Sarah @ Well Dined — November 7, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

I ended up screwing these up a bit, but they were still super tasty!

Patti — January 24, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

I made these Tuesday morning. Very good!! I’m going to try them with blueberries next. Thanks for the great recipe!

36. Pingback: Briose cu mure si urda

37. Pingback: For The Love Of Eating Your Feelings » For the Love of... For the Love of…

38. Pingback: Coconut Lemon Macaroons | Macaroon Nests | Macaroon Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

39. Pingback: Lemon Ricotta Muffins | Emma's Baking Addiction

40. Pingback: Santa Monica & Lemon Blueberry Ricotta Muffins with Almonds « Suitcases & Sweets