Mini Banana Cupcakes with a Nutella Swirl
I heart Nutella. I could eat it by the spoonful. I try not to buy it because Josh is allergic and I really don’t need it. After reading Teanna’s post, I decided it was time for a splurge.
I love bananas and nutella together, so I thought I would try a little spin off from the Self Frosted Cupcakes. I made a banana cupcake with a Nutella swirl. I also made them in my mini muffin pan, for cuteness factor and portion control.:) I thought swirling the Nutella would be a pain in the rear, but it was kind of fun! I used a toothpick to do the trick.
They turned out really cute, but I am not sure if I should call them cupcakes. They had more of a muffin texture. They were moist and dense, not light and fluffy like I was hoping. They were still really good, just not what I was going for.
The banana and Nutella flavor was right on though. I think I will look for a different cupcake recipe to try them with….or maybe use a regular pan to see if that helps the texture. They were really good, just think muffin instead of cupcake. 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 ripe bananas), plus 1 whole banana, for garnish (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Jar of Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a mini muffin tin. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture. In well, mix together butter, mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla. Stir to incorporate flour mixture (do not overmix). Dividing evenly, spoon batter into muffin cups.
- With a toothpick swirl in the Nutella, about a ½ teaspoon each.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.