Orange Almond Scones

I loved creating new cookie recipes for our cookbook, Cookie Cravings. The only hard part was not being able to post the recipes on the blog right away. I can’t wait to share my latest cookie creations with you! I will give you a little hint about one of the new cookie recipes in the book-the cookies inspired me to make these Orange Almond Scones. I loved the cookies so much I had to create a scone based on the same flavors. There is your hint, sorry for the suspense! :) These Orange Almond Scones are delightful and make a great breakfast treat.

I have really been enjoying citrus season. Our fridge and counters are overflowing with lemons, grapefruit, and oranges. I put a few oranges to good use to make these Orange Almond Scones. The scones have orange zest and juice in the dough, plus they get an orange glaze drizzle after baking that really brings out the citrus flavor. The almond extract and chopped up almonds add a nice almond kick, plus I love the crunch the almonds add to the tender buttermilk scones.

I made four jumbo scones, but you can make six smaller scones if you wish. I figured if I was going to eat a scone, I was going to EAT a scone:) I also shared with our friends, Josh couldn’t help me out because he has that darn nut allergy. I knew if I would have left these scones on the counter I would have devoured them in a day. They are divine!

Grab a hot cup of tea or coffee and enjoy an Orange Almond Scone. They are guaranteed to make your day better!

Orange Almond Scones

Yield: 4 large scones or 6 small scones

Cook Time: 12-15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Big fluffy and tender scones with orange zest, orange juice, almonds, and a sweet orange glaze. These scones are perfect for breakfast or tea time.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons orange zest
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1 large egg
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 tablespoon buttermilk
Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling over scones

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice

Chopped almonds, for sprinkling over glaze, if desired

1. Preheat to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, rub the sugar and orange zest together until fragrant. Add sugar mixture to the flour mixture and whisk again. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal, using your fingers, two forks, or a pastry blender.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, orange juice, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture all at once, stirring enough to make a soft dough. Fold in the almonds.

4. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until dough comes together. Pat dough out into a 1-inch circle. Cut into 4 large or 6 small triangles. Place on prepared baking sheet and brush scone tops with remaining buttermilk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until scones are golden brown.

5. Let the scones cool completely on a wire rack. While the scones are cooling, make the orange glaze. In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, orange zest, and orange juice. Drizzle glaze over scones and sprinkle with additional chopped almonds, if desired. Let scones set until glaze hardens.

If you like these Orange Almond Scones, you might also like:

71 Responses to “Orange Almond Scones”

Valentina — March 5, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

OMG this looks divine!

x

Valentina de Pertis

My neighbor gave me a ton of oranges and this recipe is perfect! I’ve been wanting to make scones! Yum!

Cookin' Canuck — March 5, 2012 @ 6:04 pm

These would be perfect with an afternoon cup of tea – though I’m sure my boys would prefer to dunk them into their hot chocolate. This makes me yearn for spring!

Kristina Vanni — March 5, 2012 @ 6:31 pm

What a great way to start off the day. I love the simplistic flavors, bound to make a sweet and flavorful morning treat. Can’t wait to enjoy with a nice cup of Joe!

Janie — March 5, 2012 @ 7:02 pm

These sound very good. I Love scones-they are so fast..great with tea…can’t wait for your cookie book.

I always love the combo of citrus & almond ~ lovely scones recipe :)

susan — March 5, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

I love scones and I am sure these would be no exception

Jennifer | Mother Thyme — March 5, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

These scones look delicious! I love the combination of orange and almond.

I love orange in breakfast breads…this looks sooooooo good!

Amanda — March 5, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

The scones look delicious! I love the orange and almond combination.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — March 5, 2012 @ 11:10 pm

Yummy!! I just baked orange scones as well — perfect when citrus is abundance this time of the year :)

Jersey Girl Cooks — March 6, 2012 @ 7:26 am

Great flavors! I like recipes that make a small batch too.

These look great! I bet they would be great with dried cranberries as well.

I love scones! One of my favorite flavor combinations is cranberry-orange. I can imagine that these are just as good. And I love your plates! They are quite beautiful.

Audra@The-Baker-Chick — March 6, 2012 @ 10:22 am

These are so lovely Maria! Perfect for an afternoon tea.

Justine — March 6, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

These look fantastic! I have some scone recipes on my blog(http://whatsjustinecooking.blogspot.com/)…but these look divine!

Krissy's Creations — March 6, 2012 @ 6:51 pm

Ahh I’m so anxious! I want to know those wonderful cookie recipes! I’ll just have to wait until the book it out :). But in the meantime, I’m loving these scones!

Jessica @ How Sweet — March 6, 2012 @ 6:52 pm

These scones sound so incredibly delicious!

Feast on the Cheap — March 7, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

Great minds think alike – whipped up a batch of Orange-Scented Shortbread this weekend. Not exactly the same, but both british, both delicious, both extra citrusy ;)

Emily — March 8, 2012 @ 12:35 pm

I made your almond toffee chocolate cookies last night and I’m hooked! Wow! Thanks for sharing that as a preview recipe, I can’t wait for your cookie e-book. Do you mind if I re-post the recipe on my blog or would you rather have it just be for people who signed up for your newsletter?

Diane {Created by Diane} — March 8, 2012 @ 11:50 pm

it’s scone bliss, the flavors sound wonderful :)

Amanda — March 10, 2012 @ 8:20 am

Beautiful! Orange and almond are an amazing combination :)

Sarah K — March 13, 2012 @ 10:06 pm

One of the BEST scones I have ever had! Yummy!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — March 16, 2012 @ 10:34 am

I’m so in heart with this right now. Gorgeous!

Christie — March 16, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

Just made these – they will definitely be a repeater! I put the glaze in a baggie and snipped the end to drizzle over the scones. We couldn’t wait for the scones to cool or for the glaze to harden. Super yummy, light and fluffy! Thanks for sharing!

JulieD — March 30, 2012 @ 12:10 am

This looks awesome! I want to make this!

Joanna H. — April 14, 2012 @ 8:21 pm

I made these today for my friend’s baby shower tea party. They were fabulous! Everyone raved! I doubled the recipe and made 24 mini scones. Yum, thanks for the great recipe!

28. Pingback: Asparagus, Spinach, & Feta Quiche Recipe | Vegetarian Quiche | Two Peas & Their Pod

Judy — January 13, 2013 @ 12:53 pm

Sounds pretty good, but I am Not really a nut person in my scones. I’m going to sustitute some cranberries. They will go great with the orange.

Jeanette — July 26, 2013 @ 10:58 pm

Hello from Singapore! i made them this morning. it was a sticky batter to work with, i didn’t put enough flour and hence, couldn’t knead them. i added 4 tablespoons of orange juice instead, and it was still good. thanks for the recipe!

31. Pingback: Orange Almond Scones | 12.6.13 | Ke Event Designs