Peanut Butter Apple Bars

One of my all time favorite snacks is apple slices dipped in peanut butter. I usually have an apple with peanut butter every afternoon. I never get tired of this classic snack. I decided to transform my favorite snack into a dessert by making Peanut Butter Apple Bars. I think I may have a new favorite snack now, because these bars are delicious! They may not be as  healthy, but definitely worth splurging on once in awhile.

I used Granny Smith apples for this recipe, because I like to bake with tart apples. Feel free to use your favorite apples or whatever you have on hand. The peanut butter bars are loaded with apple chunks, which keep the bars soft and moist. When the bars were done cooling, I drizzled a creamy peanut butter glaze over the top of the bars. Don’t skip this step, because the peanut butter glaze is amazing. I will warn you, it is addicting. I couldn’t stay out of the glaze, I licked the bowl clean:)

If you like apples and peanut butter together, you will fall in love with these bars. Apples are in season right now, so put them to good use by making these Peanut Butter Apple Bars. They make a great fall sweet snack or dessert.

Peanut Butter Apple Bars

Yield: 24 bars

Cook Time: 30 minutes

For the bars:

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup diced apples, peel removed (I used Granny Smith apples)

For the peanut butter glaze:

1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch pan and set aside.

2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from the heat, and stir in the peanut butter, until creamy and combined. Set mixture aside to cool.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

4. Add the eggs, one at a time, to the peanut butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared dry ingredients, and stir until batter is smooth. Fold in the diced apples.

5. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, spreading the batter evenly to the edges of the pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden and the edges are slightly browned. Remove bars from oven and place them on a wire rack to cool.

6. While the bars are cooling, make the peanut butter glaze. In a medium bowl, combine the sifted powdered sugar, milk, peanut butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled bars. Cut into squares and serve.

If you like these Peanut Butter Apple Bars, you might also like:

79 Responses to “Peanut Butter Apple Bars”

grace — October 11, 2011 @ 4:18 am

hands down, the best part of this is the glaze. thanks for reminding me how much i enjoy an apple slice slathered with peanut butter!

brandi — October 11, 2011 @ 9:00 am

The bars look great, but the glaze sounds amazing! I could probably just eat that with a spoon.

Hope you guys are doing well with the new little pea! :)

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — October 11, 2011 @ 11:05 am

Oh wow–a baked good made from my favorite afternoon snack! Too perfect to be allowed. :)

Hope little pea is doing well!

marla — October 11, 2011 @ 11:21 am

I love PB & apple too! These bars sound wonderful!

HeatherChristo — October 11, 2011 @ 11:27 am

I always love the old fashioned pb on apple slices, so I am sure that this would be taking it up about 10 notches in deliciousness!

I, too, am a big fan of apples and peanut butter, and this is such a cute and creative way to use that great flavor combination! Super yummy looking bars, Maria. Thanks for sharing!

What a nice twist on a classic snack!

Lady Jennie — October 11, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

This does look amazing! A totally Autumn-sounding recipe too.

Jamie — October 11, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

Peanut butter on apples is one of my favorite snacks too!

Tracey — October 11, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

Apples and peanut butter are a favorite snack of mine too! These bars are definitely a must-try in my kitchen!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — October 11, 2011 @ 10:30 pm

Guess I need to try that combo. Because these are looking really, really good to me right now! I think they could be a hit around here.

Apple slices dipped in PB is one of my favorite snacks too!

Cookin' Canuck — October 11, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

We adore apple slices with peanut butter, too. I can only imagine how good these little treats must taste.

Lauren@LittleYellowKitchen — October 12, 2011 @ 1:36 am

I love the apple and peanut butter inspiration. That’s one of my favorite go-to snacks!

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen — October 12, 2011 @ 4:35 am

apple with peanut butter? Yes please. Great recipe

16. Pingback: peanut butter apple brownies, recipe #3 « the 20 spot

Georgia Pellegrini — October 12, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

I want to knock on your door for Halloween and be presented with all of your wonderful confections! What should I dress up as? ; )

Becki's Whole Life — October 13, 2011 @ 7:39 am

Peanut Butter and apples…yum. What a great combo and not one you see in baked goods often enough. The drizzle on top looks like a great way to top these off!

19. Pingback: The Brownies Even a ______ Can Love on Redomestication

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — October 15, 2011 @ 8:20 am

Yum! What a great snack!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — October 16, 2011 @ 11:20 pm

These were SO GOOD! Everyone loved this recipe – thank you!

• Two Peas replied: — October 17th, 2011 @ 10:20 am

Yay! I am glad everyone enjoyed the peanut butter apple bars!

22. Pingback: Apple Almond Galette {& South Dakota Corn Harvest}

Stephanie — November 1, 2011 @ 8:19 pm

These are in the oven right now and the batter was delicious (I have a thing about eating batter…oops)! Cannot wait to glaze them! :) Thanks for the recipe!

24. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Scones with Peanut Butter Glaze

Family Recipes — March 6, 2012 @ 10:06 am

The kids love apples and peanut butter. I think that this will turn into one of our favorites. THANKS!

26. Pingback: What To Do With All of Those Apples? « Freckle-Face Redhead

27. Pingback: » Peanut Butter Apple Bars

28. Pingback: Peanut Bars | "I'm in the kitchen!"

29. Pingback: Thanks to Two Peas and Their Pod, Apples & PB Just Got Better | Rue La La

30. Pingback: Peanut Butter Apple Bars | Thirty Seconds on High

31. Pingback: Friday recipe binge. | dotted design

Lauren @ Lemon & Mocha — October 11, 2013 @ 5:35 pm

I am in LOVE with your peanut butter apple bars. I love them so much I had to make them for my second post on my new food blog! Thanks for sharing such delicious recipes :-)

33. Pingback: Thanksgiving Desserts Round Up | Crunchy Creamy SweetCrunchy Creamy Sweet

34. Pingback: Peanut Butter Apple Bars | Everything But the Cupcake