Pineapple Salsa

I am allergic to pineapple, well I thought I was. A few years ago I took a bite of pineapple and my tongue swelled up and got all tingly. I love pineapple so I was devastated. I have tried to eat it numerous times since then and the same thing happens. Last month, Josh bought a fresh pineapple for a party we were hosting. While he was cutting it up, I snuck a piece. Nothing happened. So I had another piece and another piece. Nothing. I wonder if pregnancy cured my allergic reaction to pineapple? I don’t know why I can eat pineapple now, but I am certainly glad I can. This week I bought a fresh pineapple and made pineapple salsa to go with our dinner.

This tropical salsa is sweet, colorful, and refreshing. We served the pineapple salsa over Mexican Rice Bowls and saved a little for dipping. I am a sucker for chips and salsa:) This salsa would also go well with grilled fish, pork, chicken, or spooned over tacos. It is also easy to make and would be a great appetizer for any summer party. Make sure you use fresh pineapple for best results.

If you are looking for a new salsa to try this summer, make a bowl of fresh Pineapple Salsa. I know we will be making this salsa all summer long-as long as my tongue allows me to eat it:)

Pineapple Salsa

Yield: Makes about 2 1/2 cups salsa

2 cups diced fresh pineapple
1 cup diced red pepper
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
3 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper, stemmed and seeded
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of 1 large lime
Salt, to taste

In a medium bowl, combine pineapple, red pepper, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, garlic, and lime juice. Stir until well combined. Season with salt, to taste. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

If you like this Pineapple Salsa, you might also like:

Pineapple, Mango, & Avocado Salsa from Gimme Some Oven
Grilled Pineapple Salsa from Serious Eats
Pineapple Peach Salsa from How Sweet It Is
Peach Salsa from Two Peas and Their Pod

107 Responses to “Pineapple Salsa”

Kristen — June 23, 2011 @ 12:07 am

Pregnancy does amazing things that way. I hated pineapple until I was pregnant with my 3rd and then I couldn’t get enough of it! Now I love pineapple and this salsa is going on my “to make” list!

Cheri — June 23, 2011 @ 1:03 am

I love pineapple. This will be great on grilled chicken or fish!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes — June 23, 2011 @ 1:21 am

Hopefully you’ll continue to be able to eat it. We love it at our house too. Looks great.

this looks so tasty! I too get weird sensations sometimes when I eat pineapple. Did you know this can be linked to a latex allergy/irritation? True story. I found that out the hard way when I got braces and they gave me latex bands. Yowsers! :(

Pam — June 23, 2011 @ 11:17 am

Pregnancy is an amazing thing. It cured my migraines and my eye sight got better with both pregnancies – how awesome is that?

The pineapple salsa also looks awesome – I love everything about it!

Emily — June 23, 2011 @ 11:24 am

Oh wow!! This looks so delicious and refreshing for the summer!! I cannot wait to try and make this!! YUM!! So I made gnocchi for the first time…would love to know what you think!

Recipes Fashion Marriage

Yay for cured allergies! I developed quite a few in my early-mid 20’s, and then 5 years later, poof! They were gone! I’m so happy I can eat whatever I want now :) I hope you have the same freedom with pineapple, the salsa looks great!

I’ve had that happen with pineapple before. I wonder if different varieties have different affects, or if it’s pesticide residue or something. I cannot eat kiwis anymore and I’m soooo sad. Hopefully you’re safe now from allergic reactions. :) The salsa looks so refreshing. I’m craving fresh stuff like this right now.

Natanya @ Fete & Feast — June 23, 2011 @ 9:20 pm

Fresh fruit salsas are one of my favorite ways to brighten summer food. The other flavors that you’ve paired it with look like gret companions.
    Enjoy your renewed ability to enjoy pineapple – it’s such a great taste.

I love fruit salsas! They are perfect for summer too.
    I couldn’t imagine being allergic to pineapple. So crossing my fingers that after the pregancy you can still eat pineapple. :)

torviewtoronto — June 23, 2011 @ 11:10 pm

salsa looks wonderfully delicious

Lynn — June 24, 2011 @ 4:02 am

Wow! Glad you didn’t react to the pineapple. As an RN, though, I would not advise to test yourself anymore with foods you’ve been reactive with…especially while pregnant!! Hoping you carry an epi-pen with you, just in case. This might be something you’ll want to run by your OB, since you’ve been allergic to it before. We don’t want anything to happen to that darling 3rd pea in the pod!! Love you site, love your amazing recipes! :))

Tracy — June 24, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

So weird about your allergy…good news though! Enjoy the pineapple! :-)

Kiran — June 24, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

Love how colorful and fresh looking salsa you’d share Maria! Thanks for the recipe :)

Cara — June 25, 2011 @ 11:04 pm

What a great thing to discover that you are no longer allergic to pineapple! I bet you’ll have a lot of fun catching up on what you’ve missed :)

Apron Appeal — June 26, 2011 @ 5:32 am

allergies in generally have me completely frustrated right now. Although my little guy ha been tested for some things… every time I introduce a new food to him, he breaks out. No answers gah! but Pineapple is on my list of foods I’m allergic to, as well as strawberries, apples, some nut, carrots…but the weird thing is that the reaction is only sometimes, which makes me think it has more to do with how the food is processed v. the actual food itself. I HATE ALLERGIES!

17. Pingback: A Rocky Road Tart +My 4th of July Round-Up!

18. Pingback: A Patriotic Kitchen | Mrs. C - The Chronicles of Marriage, Cooking, Fashion & What Makes Me Smile....

Andrea — July 2, 2011 @ 7:07 pm

I’ve had this recipe saved since you posted it and finally made it today! I made it for our 4th of July cookout and everyone loved it! The combination seems strange when you first hear it… but once I took that first bite… the taste was oh so right!!! Thanks for the recipe! :)

Brandi — July 6, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

I know I’m late but I just recently found out your allergies can change every 10 years. Hopefully yours stay changed!

21. Pingback: Pineapple Salsa « Recipes

22. Pingback: » Meal-Planning Monday: Salsa FabFitMommy.com

23. Pingback: Produce for fall! October 19th & 20th

Lionel — February 24, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

Great recipie have used it numerous times. Everbody loves it.

25. Pingback: Pineapple Salsa « TheMobBlog

mary — April 2, 2012 @ 8:09 pm

Awesome salsa! My “son” who works in a resturant said “ma, this is on the point!” have it bookmarked! Thanks for sharing

Amanda N — April 11, 2012 @ 8:06 am

LOVE IT! Made it for an island themed party I hosted, and served some for an Easter appetizer the next day. Both days they ate it all! It’s so refreshing and delicious! This recipe is definitely a keeper!(I did use yellow instead of red onion though because that is what I had on hand.)

• Two Peas replied: — April 11th, 2012 @ 9:01 am

Glad you liked the pineapple salsa!

Lisa Krenz — May 22, 2012 @ 10:13 pm

I make something similar…. Add cut up mango too!

Holly — June 30, 2012 @ 10:50 pm

Found your recipe when googling pineapple sales recipes and made it right away! The whole family loved it on our bbq steak tacos even our 2 year old. Thank you, this will be a new go to recipe for us!

30. Pingback: Eat This Now for the week of July 2nd, 2012 | Produce Geek

31. Pingback: Organic Picks of the week for July 2nd, 2012 | Organic Produce Geek

Ashley C. — July 6, 2012 @ 11:21 am

This looks delicious! I have to say, I had that same problem with pineapple and I can now eat it. I never thought that it might have been since pregnancy since I could. Thanks for the enlightenment :)

33. Pingback: Pineapple Salsa | MommieVentures Cooks

Laura — August 18, 2012 @ 12:49 pm

Just wondering if I can make this a day ahead . . . Looks yummy!

Italynette — September 3, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

I had the same reaction but its more of a nuisance when I eat it vs a danger. I am, however, highly allergic to mangoes. They are part of the sumac family and it gives me the same reaction as poison sumac would. Rash and face swelling. No fun. :(

36. Pingback: Tropical Paradise! Pineapple Salsa | Felkel Foodie