Potato Rosemary Rolls

Potato Rosemary Rolls

I have fond memories of waking up early on Thanksgiving to help my dad in the kitchen. We always watched the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade while we cooked up a storm. My favorite job was helping my dad make his famous potato rolls. This year we are making my dad’s potato roll recipe with a kick of fresh rosemary. Potato rosemary rolls are the perfect addition to any Thanksgiving table.

My dad’s potato rolls are my favorite part about Thanksgiving. They are so good, especially hot out of the oven. Nothing beats a freshly baked roll. Mmmm!  These potato rolls are soft, tender, and even better with a dab of butter. We always make them in clover leaf form, but you can make them in regular dinner roll form if you wish. The fresh rosemary is a nice addition to my dad’s recipe. The rosemary isn’t over powering, but adds a nice herb flavor to the rolls.

Make potato rosemary rolls this year for Thanksgiving. Your house will smell amazing while they are baking and your guests will love them.

Side note-we spent the last five days in California. We had so much fun. We attended a blogging event, went to Disneyland, and toured LA. I will be posting about our trip on our “On the Side” page this week. Make sure you subscribe to Two Peas and Their Pod so you don’t miss a post!

Potato Rosemary Rolls

Yield: Makes about 30 rolls

Cook Time: 15-17 minutes

2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 cup shortening
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup mashed potatoes
1 cup scalded milk
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped

1. In a small bowl, put the yeast in the warm water and stir with a spoon. Let sit for about five minutes or until the yeast starts to bubble. Scald the milk and let it cool for two minutes.

2. In a large bowl, mix together sugar, shortening, and salt. Add the milk and stir in one cup of the flour. Next, add the yeast mixture and the beaten eggs. Add the mashed potatoes and rosemary and stir. Stir in the remaining flour until the dough comes together.

3. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until smooth, about 5 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour. Place the dough in a large greased bowl and let rise in a warm spot for about 45 minutes or until doubled in size.

4. Punch down the dough. To form the rolls, pinch off about a 1/2 tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Place three balls into a greased muffin tin. Continue forming rolls until dough is gone. Let the rolls rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes. Bake rolls at 375 degrees F for about 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and serve warm.

If you like these potato rosemary rolls, you might also like:

Potato Rolls from Two Peas and Their Pod
French Bread Rolls from Dine and Dish
Lion House Dinner Rolls from My Kitchen Cafe
Flaky Dinner Rolls from Recipe Girl
Homemade Pull Apart Dinner Rolls from Amanda’s Cookin

97 Responses to “Potato Rosemary Rolls”

Amanda Richardson — November 22, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

Those look delectable! I’ve never made potato rolls. I think I’m going to try them for Thanksgiving, but maybe with sweet potatoes. Happy Thanksgiving!

• twopeas replied: — November 22nd, 2010 @ 9:09 pm

Let me know if you try them with sweet potatoes. They sound SO good!

2. Pingback: Spiced Maple Roasted Yams + Leek and Mushroom Wild Rice + Tangerine Ginger Cranberry Relish | Spoon With Me

Jamie Cooks It Up! — November 22, 2010 @ 10:00 pm

Those look great, Maria! Well done!

Monica H — November 23, 2010 @ 1:15 am

These are beautiful rolls Maria. I’m planning on making clover leaf rolls for Thanksgiving, but now I want to make this recipe instead. Potato bread is a favorite of mine because it’s so soft, the rosemary only makes these better.

Cat — November 23, 2010 @ 3:48 am

These look so good. I’m currently trying to settle on a few recipes for the thanksgiving celebration and these just made the list, definitely!

grace — November 23, 2010 @ 4:53 am

i’ve decided potato bread is just about one of the finest things a person can put in her mouth. rosemary is the perfect herb to use too–well done!

Crystal — November 23, 2010 @ 6:23 am

I always have trouble making rolls from scratch, but these look so good. I’ll have to give it another try. Just found your blog. What a cute couple.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — November 23, 2010 @ 8:08 am

Those rolls look lovely! Love the rosemary in there… It’s not the holidays without some rosemary, if you ask me!

Big bOys Oven — November 23, 2010 @ 9:03 am

I just love this potato rolls of yours, must really soft in texture!

Pam — November 23, 2010 @ 9:04 am

Beautiful! I like the idea of putting three balls into the muffin tin… they turn out so pretty.

Erica Lea {Cooking for Seven} — November 23, 2010 @ 10:04 am

These look perfect, Maria! So soft and light. I think my dad would adore them.

Jan — November 23, 2010 @ 10:54 am

Wow they look soooo good! Glad you had a great time in California.

natalie (the sweets life) — November 23, 2010 @ 11:40 am

just last night I told Ryan Rosemary is one of my favorite flavors! I once made a rosemary bread that we loved; I imagine I’d love these rolls as well!

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — November 23, 2010 @ 12:51 pm

I love potato rosemary bread! I have made Peter Reinhart’s recipe a few times now and it’s fantastic. Your rolls looks amazing, and your photos are fantastic!

Cookin' Canuck — November 23, 2010 @ 4:47 pm

Maria, these rolls look fantastic! Recipes like this one are made that much better by the fond memories that go with them.

Kim H. — November 23, 2010 @ 5:04 pm

How many rolls does this recipe make?

• twopeas replied: — November 23rd, 2010 @ 8:18 pm

The recipe makes about 30 rolls.

Rachel — November 23, 2010 @ 5:56 pm

oh my gosh. those look and sound soo amazing.
    I’ve had potato rolls but, I never thought to add rosemary! YUM!
    I’m bookmarking this and can’t wait to make these!

Sarah — November 23, 2010 @ 8:36 pm

These sound delicious and I’ve love to try them, however it’s very hard to get shortening here in Australia. Have you ever tried the recipe with butter, and if so, how did it turn out?

• twopeas replied: — November 24th, 2010 @ 9:50 am

I have never tried the recipe with butter because my dad always uses shortening:) I am sure butter would work though. Please let me know if you try them! Thanks!

• Sarah replied: — November 24th, 2010 @ 3:11 pm

Thanks, will do :)

Katie | GoodLife Eats — November 24, 2010 @ 8:51 am

I have never made potato rolls before. These look good.

Katrina — November 24, 2010 @ 8:57 am

Yummy! These look fantastic!

21. Pingback: The Weekend Dish: 11/27/2010 | Brown Eyed Baker

Courtney — November 28, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

mmm they look so good! Must make this for Christmas :)

23. Pingback: Vintage Wire Baskets | Holiday Gift Idea | Two Peas and Their Pod

Jen @ How To: Simplify — December 10, 2010 @ 10:43 pm

Rosemary is my absolute favorite herb. I know I would devour these rolls!

25. Pingback: Potato Rosemary Rolls « The Culinary Chronicles

26. Pingback: Buttermilk Fried Rabbit Recipe | The Official Site of Chef Georgia Pellegrini | Food, Travel, Lifestyle, Hunting and Redefining Slow Food

27. Pingback: Cafe Zupas » Blog Archive » celebrate: Thanksgiving (with rolls!)

Amanda — November 13, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Ohhh so beautiful! I JUST had my pull apart dinner rolls last night. We celebrated Thanksgiving early due to hubby going out of town. Hope you have a wonderful holiday my friend!

29. Pingback: Roasted Butternut Squash Salad Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

Cassie — November 17, 2011 @ 11:08 am

These are beautifully perfect rolls. I LOVE bread all the time, but especially at Thanksgiving! Thanks for sharing!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — November 17, 2011 @ 11:50 am

Beautiful Maria! I love rolls and these look perfect for a Thanksgiving celebration!

Mi Vida en un Dulce — November 17, 2011 @ 11:56 am

That rolls look amazing. It’s close to lunch time now and looking to these wonderful rolls make me more hungry.
    If you don’t mind, I will try to make it with yellow potatoes, that kind of potate is very common and more used here in Peru.

nicole {sweet peony} — November 17, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

wow these are the prettiest rolls i have ever seen! they are perfect! i’m totally craving one now… with a nice big tab of butter… yummm!!!

Hi Maria,
    I made these rolls few days ago for a dinner I hosted. Everyone fell in love with them. It was a major hit, so big that I have to bake 3 dozens for one of my guests for their Thanksgiving dinner.
    Thanks for the recipe!

Emily — November 21, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

the dough was SO sticky even after i added almost a cup of extra flour! but i just baked it in a loaf pan and it came out so yummy :)

36. Pingback: 50 Thanksgiving Side Dishes | Aggie's Kitchen

37. Pingback: This and That | Two Peas & Their Pod

Wendys Hat — November 18, 2012 @ 9:49 am

I have rolls that I have always been famous for but these sound delicious! I’d like to try them some time soon. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

39. Pingback: What I Wish I Was Making For Thanksgiving « oh so decadent