Potato Rosemary Soup
Happy 2012! I think it will take me awhile to get used to saying 2012, but I like it. I am excited for the New Year. We recently asked on our Facebook page what recipes you would like to see in 2012. Several people asked for soup more soup recipes. We love making soup and we are always happy to meet our readers requests, so today we are sharing one of our favorite soup recipes-Potato Rosemary Soup.
When we brought Caleb home from the hospital, life was a little crazy. We were lacking sleep and still adjusting to having a baby in the house. Cooking dinner was not on our to do list. We were eating a lot of sandwiches, freezer meals we had previously made, and cereal. One night we got a call from our good friend, Janette, who told us she was coming over to cook us dinner. It was music to our ears. She is a fabulous cook and knows her way around the kitchen-especially our kitchen. She is a designer for Peppertree and helped us with our kitchen remodel. She is the best!
She made us Potato Rosemary Soup, salad, bread, and pumpkin cupcakes for dessert. We were spoiled! Everything was delicious, especially the soup. Luckily, she shared the recipe. We have been making the soup ever since. It has become a staple in our house. It is so easy to make and very comforting and filling. The potato soup is hearty and thick with a hint of rosemary. It also has feta cheese which adds a nice creamy texture. We like to make a big pot so we can enjoy leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day.
Warm up with a bowl of comforting Potato Rosemary Soup. It is the perfect meal for a cold winter’s day.
Potato Rosemary Soup
Yield: Serves 8
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Easy potato soup made with fresh rosemary and feta cheese. This thick and creamy soup is perfect for a cold winter's day.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
5 large Russet potatoes, washed and cubed (we leave the peels on, but you can peel the potatoes if you wish)
2 (15 ounce) cans vegetable broth
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk (we use skim)
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. In a large stock pot, heat olive oil and sauté onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add potatoes,vegetable broth, and water to the pot. Bring to boil and reduce to medium heat. Let potatoes cook until tender, about 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove 2 cups of the potatoes. Set aside. Puree the remaining potatoes with an immersion blender or put potatoes in a blender or food processor.
2. In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Slowly stir mixture into large stock pot with the pureed potatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a low simmer. Stir the 2 cups of potatoes back into the soup.
3. Stir in feta cheese and fresh rosemary. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Serve warm.
If you like this Potato Rosemary Soup, you might also like:
- Baked Potato Soup from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Potato Leek Soup from Simply Recipes
- Sweet Potato Soup with Brown Butter and Goat Cheese from Verses from my Kitchen