Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

I know I just posted a pumpkin muffin recipe and several other pumpkin recipes within the last month, but I just can’t stop. I love pumpkin. I honestly was going to call it quits for awhile, but on Saturday morning I was eating my pumpkin granola for breakfast and an idea popped in my head to make pumpkin chocolate chip granola bars. I quickly got out the pumpkin and started baking.

I based the recipe off of my pumpkin granola, but I made a few changes. I adjusted the spices, used honey instead of maple syrup, and added in chocolate chips. This was my first time making homemade granola bars so I was a little worried, but after a few minutes in the oven, I knew they would be good. The smell of pumpkin and chocolate was divine.

When the bars were golden brown, I removed them from the oven and let them cool for five minutes. I cut them into bars and let them finish cooling while we went to the farmers market. When we got home, we rushed into the kitchen to sample the granola bars. I sampled them again and again:) I was smitten. The chewy granola bars have a nice pumpkin flavor that is complimented by chocolate and laced with cinnamon and nutmeg.

Homemade granola bars are so easy to make, I can’t believe it has taken me this long to try them. These pumpkin chocolate chip granola bars make a great fall snack or breakfast on the go. If you are looking for a pumpkin recipe to try-I nominate this one!

I have been getting bombarded with one question lately, “when are you going to post pictures of your new kitchen?” We are home and our kitchen is functioning (I loved using our Thermador oven on Saturday) but it isn’t completely done. We have some odds and ends to finish up before it is ready to be viewed by all:) Until it is finished, I will be posting teaser photos. Here is one for you to enjoy today. Don’t you love our new white kitchen backsplash? That is all you get for now!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Yield: 10-12 granola bars

Cook Time: 30-35 minutes

3 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup pumpkin puree
¼ cup applesauce
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 by 8 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk oats, spices, and salt together. Set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk brown sugar, pumpkin, applesauce, honey, and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour over oats and stir well, until all of the oats are moist. Stir in chocolate chips.

4. Evenly press oat mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. The pumpkin keeps the bars moist, so make sure they are golden and set-you don't want them to be under baked. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.

5. Using a sharp knife, cut into bars. Remove from pan and let cool completely.

If you like these pumpkin chocolate chip granola bars, you might also like:

Pumpkin Granola from Two Peas and Their Pod
Granola Bars from Buns in My Oven
Cranberry Spice Granola Bars from Bitchin’ Camero
Thick, Chewy Granola Bars from In Good Taste

Yum Pin It

175 Responses to “Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars”

1. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 20, 2010 @ 7:03 am

I haven’t made homemade granola bars in a while, and I’m not sure why. I love them. These might be the inspiration I needed. You can’t go wrong with pumpkin!

2. twopeas — October 20, 2010 @ 7:11 am

I loved the pumpkin flavor with the chocolate chips. A great granola bar for fall!

3. Kathie — October 20, 2010 @ 7:30 am

I’m just getting ready to make your pumpkin streusel muffins-scrumptious looking-and was wondering what to do with the other 2 cups of pumpkin from the can. Bingo-pumpkin granola bars! I have everything but the honey, can I leave it out or will that wreck it?

4. Pingback: Homemade Granola Bars | Pumpkin Granola Bars | Brown Eyed Baker

5. Connie — October 20, 2010 @ 9:59 am

I made these and they taste delicious! I do wish they were a little crispier though. I used old fashioned oats, would instant rolled oats make a difference? Or maybe I just needed to bake them longer. Also, could you replace the applesauce completely with pumpkin to add to the pumpkin flavor? Thanks for the recipe!

6. laura — October 20, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

Oh I love a good granola bar, these look great. We have to pack real food for our kids lunches and I think these will fit right in! Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday!

7. grace — October 20, 2010 @ 3:26 pm

hooray for pumpkin! it’s one of my favorite terms of endearment and it’s a fine way to enhance some granola bars!

8. twopeas — October 20, 2010 @ 3:31 pm

Try baking them a little longer. The pumpkin keeps them moist, do don’t under bake. My oven only took 30 minutes, but try 35-37 minutes. I haven’t tried them without applesauce, but I am sure it would work. Let me know if you try it!

9. Tauna — October 21, 2010 @ 8:37 am

Making granola bars has been on my to-do list for awhile. When I saw your recipe I had to try it immediately. They turned out great! The whole family loved them. A new favorite recipe. Thanks!

10. twopeas — October 21, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

Yay! Glad the whole family loved them!

11. mrs. lusher of the lushers — October 21, 2010 @ 7:31 pm

I made these last night & loved them!!! I made 1/2 with white chocolate chips & 1/2 with butterscotch & they’re both so, so good. Thanks for sharing :)

12. twopeas — October 21, 2010 @ 9:35 pm

I will have to try butterscotch chips next time. Great idea!

13. Monica H — October 22, 2010 @ 12:18 am

I’ve been wondering about your kitchen too. Can’t wait to see it!

14. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Episode 70 | my kitchen addiction

15. Pingback: pumpkin granola bars | the lushers

16. Connie — October 22, 2010 @ 9:29 am

Ok, thanks! Just want to say again that they are delicious!

17. Jenna @ Newlyweds — October 22, 2010 @ 10:02 am

Wow these look delicious!! I know my family would love them.

I am hosting a pumpkin link up on my blog on monday, hope to see you there.

18. Aly — October 26, 2010 @ 11:30 am

These were absolutely delicious! They are almost gone and I made them 2 days ago! GREAT recipe :) Thanks for sharing!!!

19. twopeas — October 26, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

Yay! Glad you enjoyed the granola bars!

20. Pingback: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars « Made By Michelle

21. Pingback: Halloween Food Blog Posts-Favorite & Best Recipe Picks for Holidays — Family Fresh Cooking

22. SnoWhite — October 31, 2010 @ 5:27 pm

We made these this weekend with sweet potatoes — yum! Thanks.

23. twopeas — October 31, 2010 @ 7:12 pm

I will have to try them with sweet potatoes. Great idea!

24. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — November 10, 2010 @ 9:36 am

Maria, I made these this weekend and they were incredible! I posted about them on my blog, with credit to you of course, here: http://comfortofcooking.blogspot.com/2010/11/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-granola-bars.html

Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe! I’ll be making these again and again.

25. Ashley — November 17, 2010 @ 6:35 pm

Oooo these sound really good but I find the combination of pumpkin and chocolate kind of strange so I might replace them with pumpkin seeds!

26. Pingback: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

27. Melissa L. — January 18, 2011 @ 8:47 pm

I have tons of instant oatmeal…..could I use that and have them still turn out?

28. twopeas — January 18, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

I have never tried instant oatmeal, but you could try it. Let me know how they turn out!

29. Pingback: Pumpkin Cranberry Chocolate Chip Granola Bars | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

30. Trista — February 1, 2011 @ 10:13 pm

These are so good! But mine look nothing like yours. Yours look like they came out of a box. Mine? Well, let’s just say it’s more like picking up the crumbs. But still delicious.

31. twopeas — February 2, 2011 @ 8:26 am

As long as they taste good, right? :)

32. Pingback: Salty Peanut Butter Pretzel Granola Bars Recipe: Telluride Trail Bar — Family Fresh Cooking

33. Trista — March 13, 2011 @ 9:43 pm

That’s right! And they do! I’m addicted; I’ve made them four times. But seriously…how do you get them to look like that? Do you grind the granola at all? Did you leave something out of your recipe just to make sure yours are still the best? 😉

34. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Recipes | recipegirl.com

35. Pingback: Pumas and Pumpkin | The Sweetest Thing

36. Pingback: Peanut Butter Granola Balls | Two Peas & Their Pod

37. Emily — July 9, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

The house smells amazing and the “batter” tastes amazing. Can’t wait for the bars to come out of the oven. YUM! The recipe is a tad bit heavy on the chocolate chips, so I may cut back on those a little next time. I also think adding dried cranberries would be delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

38. Pingback: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars « thelittlegreenhomemaker