Pumpkin Granola

Pumpkin Granola

I love making homemade granola. Not only does it taste good, but it makes the house smell amazing. I usually stir up a new recipe every time I make granola. I can’t help myself. There are so many flavors to play around with. This time I went with a fall theme and made a batch of pumpkin granola.

Pumpkin, applesauce, and maple syrup bind the oats together so there is no need for butter or oil. I used pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and nutmeg to give the granola a prominent pumpkin spice flavor. The pumpkin spice aroma traveled throughout the house and lingered for hours-much better than a pumpkin candle:)

When the granola was finished baking, I stirred in dried cranberries and pepitas. I didn’t add nuts because Josh is allergic, but feel free to add in a handful or two. Almonds or pecans would be a delightful addition. I love the large crunchy clumps in this granola. If you aren’t a clumpy fan, just break them up. This pumpkin granola is good eaten plain, as a yogurt topping, or with a splash of cold milk.

Pumpkin Granola

5 cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
¾ tsp. salt
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup pumpkin puree
¼ cup applesauce
¼ cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup pepitas

1. Preheat the oven to 325° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine oats, spices, and salt. Mix well.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, pumpkin puree, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. Pour wet ingredients into oat mixture and stir until the oats are evenly coated. They will be moist. Evenly spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.

4. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and stir. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the granola is golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and stir in dried cranberries and pepitas. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

*Note-serve granola with yogurt, milk, or enjoy plain.

Adapted from Baking Bites

If you like this pumpkin granola, you might also like:

Maple Almond Granola from Two Peas and Their Pod
Granola with Coconut, Dried Cranberries, and Almonds from Two Peas and Their Pod
Cherry, Prune, and Almond Granola from Food Blogga
Homemade Granola from Amanda’s Cookin

Yum Pin It

265 Responses to “Pumpkin Granola”

1. Laurie — October 19, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Thanks. I found this after searching for a Pumpkin Granola recipe, because I wanted a good granola with more fiber, less sugar and fat. I know that pumpkin and apples are good sources of fiber, so I was delighted to find this. To bump up the fiber even more, I added to this recipe 1/2 cup psyllium husk, 1/4 cup flax meal, 1/4 cup sliced almonds and 1 oz chopped dried apple. I also substituted 1/4 cup honey for the 3/4 cup brown sugar, and it turned out great. I left out the cranberries, because I usually add fresh fruit later. Accordingly, 1/3 cup of this granola comes in at about 120 calories and 5 grams fiber. I serve it with sauteed apple slices and nonfat yogurt, which tastes more like dessert than breakfast!

2. Pingback: Pumpkin Granola

3. Pingback: Pumpkin Granola

4. Pingback: The Family Foodie » Crazy . . .

5. MJ @ MD School Mrs — October 30, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

I adore this recipe so much – thank you for sharing it! I featured it on my blog today with my twist on it ;)

-MJ @ MD School Mrs.

6. Pingback: Pumpkin Granola « The Policy Pâtisserie

7. Sue — November 7, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

I’m so happy to be able to make something healthy and yummy for the munchkins! They’ll all be here for Thanksgiving this year!

How long does it keep?

8. Pingback: Before the Sun Rose O’er the Plains « Making It Mama Style

9. Two Peas — November 7, 2011 @ 5:00 pm

I’ve kept it in an air-tight container for about two weeks. It never lasts longer than that for me:) I love it!

10. Pingback: Pumpkin granola + bars « tiny squared

11. Pingback: Pumpkin Granola « Wright Time for a Schnack

12. Pingback: Pumpkin Granola « Recipes Remembered

13. Joye — November 16, 2011 @ 9:47 am

This is some of the best granola I’ve ever made!

14. Pingback: Weekly Menu – 11/20/2011 « ARMSTRONG Family Fare

15. Pingback: Weekly Menu 11/27/2011 « ARMSTRONG Family Fare

16. kls486 — December 3, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

LOVE this granola recipe! I’ve made it twice and it’s a huge hit. I never have pepitas so I’ve always left that out, but I’ll definitely try it with those at some point. I used slivered almonds (because I had them) and that was a great addition. Thank you very much!

17. Pingback: Weekly Menu 12/4/2011 « ARMSTRONG Family Fare

18. Two Peas — December 4, 2011 @ 10:47 am

Glad you liked the granola. I will have to try almonds next time.

19. Pingback: Pumpkin Granola « Armstrong Family Fare

20. Pingback: Christmas Gift #5: Pumpkin Granola « Eliot's Eats

21. Pingback: A Random Mishmash | A Spoonful of Sunshine

22. Pingback: Recipe: Pumpkin-Quinoa Granola | A Spoonful of Sunshine

23. Pingback: Pumpkin Cranberry Crunch Muffins Recipe - Back to the Cutting Board

24. Karen — January 7, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

This stuff is fabulous! I just made it. Added sliced almonds and chia seeds to mine. :) Thanks for the recipe!

25. Pingback: Perfect Parfait « My Bizzy Kitchen

26. Two Peas — January 8, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

Glad you liked the granola!

27. Pingback: pumpkin granola « miki's kitchen

28. Pingback: Pumpkin Granola | 2 Sisters 2 Cities

29. Pingback: Almond and Coconut Granola Recipe | Leite's Culinaria

30. Kylie — August 17, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

Looks amazing! Is there an necessity for the brown sugar or can I omit it for a slightly less sweet version?

31. Krys R — September 3, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

This sounds so good. Saving the page and recipe to make this Fall!

32. Pingback: 50 Pumpkin Recipes for Fall – Two Peas & Their Pod | jennyhealthyrecipes.com/blog

33. Sarah — September 9, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

Made this a few weeks ago, and making it again today because it was so good. We eat it with nonfat Greek yogurt, and my daughter enjoys snacking on it by itself. Thanks for the great recipe.

34. Pingback: Glorious Treats » Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Muffins

35. Pingback: What’s in the Box? [CSA Week 16] + Meal Plan [September 16-22] « Roots and Shoots

36. Stacy — September 17, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

Do you think I could use honey instead of maple syrup?

37. Pingback: 50+ Healthy Winter Squash Recipes - Power Foods - Jeanette's Healthy Living

38. Amanda Barkey — September 22, 2012 @ 11:50 pm

I made this granola last night and, although very tasty, I felt like it didnt taste ‘pumpkiny’ enough… any suggestions out there? Its yummy and I I love clumpy granola so I appreciated how it clumped together as well as the lack of fat but I just was expecting a more umphy pumpkin flavor and was disappointed to not get it.

39. emma — September 25, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

Love that there is no oil in this recipe!! I LOVE Fall and this granola sounds prefect for the season. : )

40. Keri — September 28, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

I seriously love this granola. Seriously. However, I’d like to eliminate the refined sugar. Has anyone tried making it without the brown sugar? It seems like it would be sweet enough with just the maple syrup. Thanks for the recipe! It’s for sure a keeper!