Quinoa Spinach Mac and Cheese

Move over macaroni because quinoa is in town and taking over this mac and cheese. I know this recipe is called Quinoa Spinach MAC and Cheese, but there is no macaroni involved. Don’t be sad, you won’t miss the macaroni. I promise.

When I saw Carrie’s recipe on Tasty Kitchen, I knew I had to make it for dinner. It had my name written all over it. I am obsessed with quinoa-did you see my Crunchy Quinoa Granola? And I love trying new mac and cheese recipes-remember my Avocado Mac and Cheese? Yeah, I knew I would love this recipe.

This quinoa mac and cheese is loaded with spinach, white cheddar, and has a crunchy Parmesan and Panko topping. I baked it in a skillet until it was bubbly and screaming EAT ME!

I loved everything about this “not” mac and cheese. It is creamy, cheesy, and even a little crunchy thanks to the topping. The quinoa and spinach boost up the nutritional value of the traditional mac and cheese. This Popeye approved mac and cheese was a hit at our dinner table. All of the peas give this recipe two big thumbs up!

For step-by-step photos and the recipe, visit Tasty Kitchen. You are going to love this Quinoa Spinach Mac and Cheese. It is a great easy weeknight meal and perfect for the cold winter months. Healthified comfort food! I don’t know if healthified is technically a word, but it is now because I am using it:) Now, go make some Quinoa Mac and Cheese please!

63 Responses to “Quinoa Spinach Mac and Cheese”

roz — January 13, 2013 @ 10:54 pm

I’m a sucker for all mac and cheese recipes, but WOW you ‘healthified’ this puppy in your recipe! Mmmmm, no excuses to boycott Mac and Cheese now! Thank you for your post!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — January 14, 2013 @ 9:09 am

yum! love the panko bread topping!

The Kitchen Edition — January 14, 2013 @ 11:22 am

Cannot wait to try this – I have some serious mac and cheese addicts in my house and a bag of quinoa waiting to be used up. Thanks for sharing!

The Wimpy Vegetarian — January 15, 2013 @ 12:10 pm

OMG, this looks fantastic. I love quinoa too and this looks like something I need to make asap!! Love!!

Sister Spice — January 17, 2013 @ 3:20 pm

This is a fantastic idea. I’m going to make it asap!

6. Pingback: Quinoa Spinach Mac ‘n Cheese « Rosemary and Olive Oil

Kathy J. — January 21, 2013 @ 10:59 am

I made this on Saturday. It was wonderful. We didn’t miss the macaroni one bit. This is a new favorite when we want comfort food! Thanks for the great recipe!

• Two Peas replied: — January 21st, 2013 @ 3:16 pm

Glad you liked the recipe!

8. Pingback: 2013 is the Year of Quinoa | Farm Flavor

9. Pingback: | 2013 is the Year of Quinoa | Farm Flavor

Kristan H — January 29, 2013 @ 9:03 pm

I made this on Sunday. It was the first time I’ve cooked with quinoa. It was amazing and I can’t wait to make it again. I added cubed ham to it. Even the picky husband and kids loved it! Thanks for another great recipe :)

Food For Thought — January 31, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

Not a huge fan of quinoa, but this recipe looks like it could convert me into a fan!

Rachel — February 5, 2013 @ 12:11 am

This was SO, SO good! I made it for lunch last week, and my two year-old loved it too! Next time I think I might try adding some steamed broccoli in with the spinach for some extra greens. But it was fantastic just as written.

Sarah — February 24, 2013 @ 11:47 pm

I made this last night and my boyfriend and I inhaled it! We added grilled chicken and roasted tomatoes because this was our main dish. I imagine other roasted veggies would be good too. Thanks for the yummy (and healthy) twist on one of my favorite dishes!

• Two Peas replied: — February 25th, 2013 @ 10:09 pm

Yay! Glad it was a hit!

Kate D. — March 8, 2013 @ 4:40 pm

Okay, this looks amazing. I also think my 14-month old will like it — finally, a way to get the kiddo to eat spinach and quinoa. :) Yay!

15. Pingback: POP Nutrition | Cheesy Shrimp, Spinach & Couscous Casserole | Free To Be Fit

16. Pingback: Best in Blog: Family Meal Planning. - dude mom

Rachel — November 1, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

Ok, this is for real one of thee best “mac” and cheeses I have ever tried, to die for!!! thanks for submitting!

18. Pingback: POP Nutrition | Cheesy Shrimp, Spinach & Couscous Casserole | EsseFit "Free2BFit"

19. Pingback: Baked White Cheddar Mac and Cheese Recipe | Vintage Mixer