Recipe for Chocolate Chip Shortbread
This has been an all around busy week. I am so glad today is my Friday. I am a health educator for the state of Utah which means I work a 4-10 schedule. I know it may sound like a dream schedule, having a long weekend and all, but I personally hate it. The days are too long! The only day I like it is Friday, but those days are usually packed full of errands, cleaning, etc. that I didn’t have time for earlier in the week. Ok, enough complaining, I am just glad it is my Friday…on to the recipe:)
I recently made Chocolate Chip Shortbread, I was in the mood to bake, but didn’t have a lot of time to fuss in the kitchen. I love this recipe because it is super easy to make and you don’t have to scoop out a bizzilion cookies. You just put the dough into two cake pans and you are done!
I am glad I tried a chocolate chip variety, a great buttery shortbread texture, but the classic feel of a traditional chocolate chip cookie. This one has the best of both worlds!
Chocolate Chip Shortbread
2 stick of unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/3 cups flour
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease 2 9 inch cake pans.
2. In the bowl of a mixer, cream together butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla.
3. Combine 1 cup flour and chocolate chips in a food processor. Process until the chocolate is chopped. You want the pieces to be small enough to not stick out, but large enough to still be chips.
4. Beat the remaining 1 1/3 cup flour and the flour chocolate mixture with the butter mixture, until well combined.
5. Divide the dough in half and press in prepared cake pans. Make sure each pan is even. Smooth the surface and prick the dough with a fork.
6. Bake for 40 minutes, until golden brown on the edges. Remove and loosen the edges with a knife.
7. Wait five minutes, then carefully place the shortbread out onto a clean work surface, all in one piece.
8. Using a pizza wheel or knife, cut into wedges. Do this while it is still warm so you can cut it. Transfer wedges to a cooling rack.