Recipe for Lemon Buttermilk Cookies
We go through a lotof milk at our house. Josh loves skim milk. He can really down it! We always keep a couple of gallons in our extra refrigerator. Luckily, it has been on sale lately:) I also like to keep buttermilk on hand for baking. I don’t go through it as fast though. It seems like I am always hurrying to use it before it expires.
The other day I realized I had a carton of buttermilk that was on the verge of being even more sour:) So I decided to get out my mixer and whip up some Lemon Buttermilk Cookies. I have never made buttermilk cookies before, I usually make scones, biscuits, etc. I was excited to try a cookie!
The cookies were very soft and tender, more of a cake texture than a cookie. I am glad I added a lot of lemon zest to the dough and glaze. The lemon flavor was quite nice. They reminded me of Giada’s
Lemon Ricotta cookies that I have made! If you have made those and loved them, you will love these too! They are both REALLY good! I will be making these again, a sweet way to use up that buttermilk!
Lemon Buttermilk Cookies
Cook Time: 11 minutes
For the cookies:
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Zest of two lemons
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. (3 oz.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk
For the glaze:
- ¾ cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 ½ Tbsp. well-shaken buttermilk
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, zest, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter briefly, until creamy. Add the sugar, and beat until pale and fluffy. Add the egg, and beat well to mix. Add the vanilla, and beat briefly again. Mix in the flour mixture and the buttermilk in batches at low speed, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Drop the dough by level tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 ½ inches between each cookie. Bake, 1 shet at a time, for about 11 minutes per batch. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 1 minute; then transfer them to a wire rack.
- For the glaze, whisk together the sifted confectioners sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla. I also added in lemon zest. Brush or spoon the glaze onto the warm cookies. Allow cookies to sit on the rack until the glaze is set.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!