Recipe for Whole Wheat Veggie Pizza

Recipe for Whole Wheat Veggie Pizza

Josh is a pizza fanatic! He would eat it for every meal if I let him:) I usually convince him to eat something else, but the other night I gave in and we made pizza!

This time we made a whole wheat crust. We used half whole wheat flour and half all purpose. The best part about this dough is that it really doesn’t have to rise, you only let it “rest” for 15 minutes!! We made it in our food processor too, so it was a breeze!! I was amazed at how quickly we put together a homemade pizza. Faster than any pizza delivery boy could get to your door, I promise!!

I made a simple homemade sauce and we topped our pizza with cheese and veggies. We used green peppers, red onion, tomatoes, and zucchini. I love making my own pizza so I can load it with veggies and limit the cheese. I always put more on Josh’s side because he loves it!

We made a salad to go with and were eating healthy delicious pizza in no time!! We really enjoyed the whole wheat crust. It was thick, chewy, and had a nice nutty flavor. We will for sure make this one again!! Oh, and we got to use our cool new pizza cutting tool from Williams and Sonoma! Another reason to keep making pizza:)

Next time you are craving pizza, give this recipe a go! You will be amazed at how fast everything comes together!!

Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough
Source: EatingWell.com

To make 1 pound dough:
1 cup whole-wheat flour

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 package quick-rising yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon sugar

3/4 cup hot water (120-130°F)

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Use whatever toppings you wish! I made a homemade sauce and we topped ours with mozzarella cheese and veggies!

1. Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a food processor; pulse to mix. Combine hot water and oil in a measuring cup. With the motor running, gradually pour in enough of the hot liquid until the mixture forms a sticky ball. The dough should be quite soft. If it seems dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water; if too sticky, add 1 to 2 tablespoons flour. Process until the dough forms a ball, then process for 1 minute to knead.
2. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Coat a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place it, sprayed-side down, over the dough. Let the dough rest for 10 to 20 minutes before rolling.

3. Place a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet on the lowest oven rack;preheat oven to 500°F or highest setting. Roll and top the pizza as desired(we suggest a 13-inch circle) and bake the pizza until the bottom is crisp and golden, 10 to 14 minutes. Serve immediately.

Make Ahead Tip: Store in a plastic bag coated with cooking spray in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before using.

79 Responses to “Recipe for Whole Wheat Veggie Pizza”

mikky — February 13, 2009 @ 10:45 pm

healthy and guilt-free indulgence… yum… happy valentine’s day to both of you… :)

Cakebrain — February 13, 2009 @ 10:48 pm

OOOH! My absolute favourite, sitting in front of the tube watching hockey! and healthy too! looks yum!

jesse — February 14, 2009 @ 2:18 am

You two are soooo adorable! And that pizza looks fantastic… love the Obama shirt! =D

Passionate About Baking — February 14, 2009 @ 4:15 am

Me me me…pizza fanatic me too! That’s a super looking pizza, 7 I’m craving it NOW!! Fantastic!

Dhanggit — February 14, 2009 @ 6:00 am

i am a pizza fanatic too!! so hide this pizza or else..i’ll finish them off :-) happy valentine’s day to both you guys!!

Grace — February 14, 2009 @ 12:18 pm

i think there’s something unamerican about NOT liking pizza. :)
    this crust is a wonderful alternative to the usual white flour version.

Proud Italian Cook — February 14, 2009 @ 3:33 pm

You are right Maria, great minds think alike, and we even have the same name!!

Dee — February 14, 2009 @ 7:19 pm

Maria, I really like the idea of adding wholewheat to pizza dough, but does it make the crust heavier?

Amanda — February 14, 2009 @ 8:52 pm

Looks delish! I want one of those pizza cutters!

Kevin — February 15, 2009 @ 7:18 am

Nice looking pizza! I like to use ww in the dough as well.

Bren Herrera — February 15, 2009 @ 11:09 am

i love the pic of him cutting the pizza with a Barack Obama shirt. CLASSIC STUFF!!

BREN-
    flanboyanteats.com

Peter M — February 16, 2009 @ 8:09 am

Great looking ‘za and the whole wheat crust is something we should all try out.

Kat — February 17, 2009 @ 4:29 pm

I am going to have to try this pizza dough. I have been looking for a whole wheat one and I am a pizza maniac lately!

Leslie — September 28, 2009 @ 3:50 pm

i came back to this post to look for dough recipe for tonight. had to comment on how hairy josh's arms look in that picture!! crazyyyyy hairrrryyyy!!! :) hope you guys settle back ok and that we can catch you on the next visit.

Richellene — October 7, 2009 @ 5:07 am

Hi Maria & Josh,

I am a Filipino living in HK with my American hubby, i made this pizza today and oh-my-god it is absolutely GOOD! I followed your simple recipe. I love your blog and i think it looks really neat and very organize. I followed the recipe for the dough but instead of veggies i put napoletana sauce, ham, pineapple & mozarella cheese. Thanks so much and more power to your blog! This will definitely stay in my recipe notes for my children one day.

x
    Richelle

Anonymous — November 14, 2009 @ 8:02 am

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Dave — March 14, 2010 @ 11:18 am

He may make a good pizza (which I’ll try) but his shirt
    just proves he’s an idiot!

18. Pingback: Toasted Tuscan Walnut Pizza « Burnt Apple

19. Pingback: Grilled Pizza

20. Pingback: Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Rosemary

Eliza — June 13, 2010 @ 9:15 pm

wow that pizza looks amazing better than the wheat crust we sell @ my job do you know how well the dough keeps if you’re not gonna use it right away?

22. Pingback: Grilled Mediterranean Pizza

Marcy S. — January 15, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

That pizza looks amazing! Just in case you’d like to try one that is all whole wheat flour check out my blog (which is really new!!) to see an all whole wheat flour pizza we made! http://minustomato.blogspot.com/2011/01/whole-wheat-pizza-crust-yummm.html

sarah, simply cooked — January 15, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

Hi Maria, thanks for re-linking to this. I have been looking for an easy recipe and when I try it I’ll use 3/4 whole wheat and let you know how it goes. Cheers!

25. Pingback: Homemade Pizza — A Quick Weekend Meal « Simple Organized Living

26. Pingback: Caramelized Onion and Arugula White Pizza | Aggie's Kitchen

27. Pingback: Peach, Basil, Mozzarella, & Balsamic Pizza Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

Kara — September 5, 2011 @ 8:39 pm

This is my go-to pizza crust recipe – I love it!! :)

• Two Peas replied: — September 6th, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

I love this pizza crust too! Glad you like it!

Saira — October 10, 2011 @ 11:36 am

We made a Pizza yesterday for dinner using your pizza dough recipe … My Husband is a pizza fan but we never tried a wheat dough before ……….. We just loved it ..!! Thanks for sharing :-)

Rachael — February 26, 2012 @ 3:49 pm

I’ve made veggie pizzas before, but this pizza dough was destined to go on a Mexican-style green chile pizza I had planned on the day I found this blog… I will definitely try it for my next veggie pizza. Honestly, I will use it for many future pizzas because it came out so well! The crust came out amazing! Since I was making something in the Mexican vein when I rolled it out I had floured the surface with masa flour, but I cannot wait to try it unadulterated :)

• Two Peas replied: — February 26th, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

Glad you liked the pizza crust!

Jessica Miller — June 1, 2012 @ 7:01 pm

Made calzones using this pizza dough recipe tonight. YUM! Super easy!

m — November 18, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

This pizza crust is FANTASTIC!! I actually increased the whole wheat to all purpose flour ratio & it still tasted delicious! I love the food processor method too!!

33. Pingback: Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato Pizza | grey & brianna's

34. Pingback: Buy Recipe Pizza Dough Food Processor | Pizza Cooking

35. Pingback: Will The Pizza Recipes No Yeast Dough | Pizza Cooking

36. Pingback: Roasted Veggie Pizza from Never Enough Thyme — Never Enough Thyme - Recipes with a slight southern accent.

37. Pingback: Cheap Cheese For Vegetarian Pizza | Pizza Cooking