Roasted Asparagus Risotto

Roasted Asparagus Risotto

We were at the grocery store and I spotted fresh bunches of asparagus, one of my favorite spring vegetables. We bought a bunch to make make Roasted Asparagus Risotto. Risotto is always comforting and the roasted asparagus adds a nice touch of spring.

I was feeling decent, so I made the risotto. I thought the stirring would take all of my energy, but it actually felt good to be back in the kitchen. Josh joined me for lunch and we enjoyed our spring risotto with a salad on the side. The meal hit the spot.

Roasted asparagus risotto is a great dish for spring. Buy a beautiful bunch of asparagus and get cooking!

Roasted Asparagus Risotto

Yield: Serves 6

Cook Time: about 30 minutes

10 asparagus spears, ends cut off
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 cups vegetable broth
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2. Place asparagus spears on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes, tossing once, until very tender. Set aside.

3. To make the risotto, heat the vegetable broth in a medium sauce pan. Simmer on low while you make risotto.

4. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the onion  and garlic on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.  Add the rice and stir until all of the grains are coated with butter. Add the white wine and cook for about 2 minutes. Add one cup of broth to the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until the broth is absorbed. Continue to add the broth, one cup at a time. Keep stirring the risotto. When the mixture starts to dry out, add more broth. Continue until the rice is cooked, this will take about 30 minutes.

5. Remove pan from the heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Cut the asparagus into bite size pieces and stir into the risotto. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.

If you like this Roasted Asparagus Risotto, you might also like:

Roasted Sweet Potato and Spinach Risotto from Two Peas and Their Pod
Asparagus Risotto from A Veggie Venture
Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto from We are Not Martha

61 Responses to “Roasted Asparagus Risotto”

Risotto is one of my favorite meals to make – I find the stirring process rather meditative :). I’m also drawn to this recipe because I love asparagus (especially when it’s roasted!) and have been missing it this winter. Great recipe!

Paulette — March 24, 2011 @ 7:56 am

Congrats toyou both. Sure you can’t call it Two Peas and Their Pod plus Sweet Pea. Just kidding, with all the excitement I just don’t know what came over me. Again congrats. Paulette

Sues — March 24, 2011 @ 8:20 am

And suddenly I’m craving spring risotto :) Definitely one of my favorite foods ever! And thank you for linking to my recipe, too!! :)

Emily — March 24, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Yum! This looks great! I love that it’s vegetarian friendly.

natalie (the sweets life) — March 24, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

ahhh I’ve anxiously been awaiting the arrival of asparagus season! this looks fantastic!

Darla @ Bakingdom — March 24, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

Risotto is my favorite food. I’ve never met one I didn’t love! Can’t wait to try this one!

Kathy - Panini Happy — March 24, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

Yup, we’re still on the same cooking wavelength – asparagus risotto is on the calendar soon! You’re definitely encouraging me to want to make it sooner rather than later. :-)

Amanda R — March 24, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

I’m glad you’re feeling better and the risotto looks delicious!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — March 24, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

Your risotto looks super delicious. Asparagus grows wild on our ranch, it’s always fun to go asparagus hunting and we will have to try this out when it starts this year!

Amanda — March 25, 2011 @ 4:57 am

Bet that’s delicious!

Barbara @moderncomfortfood — March 25, 2011 @ 5:53 am

Just perfect, Maria, and I love the additions of garlic and white wine here. Next on my list of ways to make this glorious spring vegetable!

Heather Davis — March 25, 2011 @ 7:16 am

Asparagus is one of the best things about spring! Love the idea of putting it in a risotto.

Kate — March 25, 2011 @ 7:19 am

Asparagus just screams spring! Here are a few more ways to prepare it. Enjoy!

Kristen — March 25, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

Really great combination of ingredients. I love asparagus!

Elle — March 28, 2011 @ 8:36 am

Risotto is so comforting, isn’t it? Glad you were feeling well enough to make it!

Lacey — April 1, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Ironically, I made this last night, wrote and queued an blog post about it, and found your blog today! It’s a great blog, with GORGEOUS photos! This is also such a comforting spring dish– try it with a squirt of lemon!

• twopeas replied: — April 2nd, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

Thank you for your kind comment.

17. Pingback: Roasted Asparagus Risotto — Eat Laugh Purr

coffee Pure Cleanse — April 25, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

My partner and I stumbled over here from a different page
    and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I
    see so i am just following you. Look forward to looking at
    your web page again.

19. Pingback: Green Ideas for a Happy, Healthy and Dye Free St. Patrick's Day - The Healthy SuperMom