Roasted Chickpea Fajitas

I don’t make New Year’s Resolutions, but healthy eating is always a goal of mine. I figure if I eat healthy most of the time and exercise daily then I can eat as many cookies as I want..ha! Just kidding-sort of:)  I did go a little cookie crazy during December, so I am trying to refocus. I am excited to share with you one of my new favorite healthy recipes-Roasted Chickpea Fajitas. I love snacking on roasted chickpeas, so I knew I would love them in fajitas.

I seasoned the chickpeas with lime juice and fajita spices and roasted them in the oven for 30 minutes. I wanted to crisp them up before adding them to the onion, peppers, and mushrooms. When the chickpeas were done roasting, I stirred them into the sizzling vegetables and added fresh cilantro. When Josh got home from work he asked what was cooking-our house smelled amazing thanks to me:) I told him chickpea fajitas. He thought I said chicken and asked if I was going to start eating meat in 2012. I said no meat for me, we are having CHICKPEA fajitas. He looked intrigued.

I set the table and put out some toppings to garnish the fajitas-diced tomatoes, avocado slices, plain Greek yogurt, and lime wedges. You can also add salsa, cheese, or sour cream. Use whatever toppings you like. We filled our flour tortillas with the roasted chickpea and vegetable mixture and added on our toppings. I waited to take a bite because I wanted to watch Josh’s reaction as he tasted the fajitas. He loved it! Honestly, I don’t know how he even tasted the fajita because he ate it so fast:) He made another one before I even had a bite of mine. Guys:)

I am so glad Josh liked my Roasted Chickpea Fajitas. They will be making a regular appearance at our dinner table. The fajitas are fresh, full of flavor, and good for you too. The roasted chickpeas add a nice crunch to the spicy vegetables. These vegetarian fajitas are one of my new favorite meals. Give them a try-I think you will like them too:)

If you are looking for more healthy recipes, check out our 50 Healthy Recipes to Kick Off 2012 post.

Roasted Chickpea Fajitas

Yield: Serves 4-6

Cook Time: 35-40 minutes

Onion, peppers, and mushrooms are sautéed and served with spicy roasted chickpeas to create these healthy and delicious vegetarian fajitas. Garnish with diced tomatoes, avocado slices, and a dollop of Greek yogurt, if desired.

To make the Roasted Chickpeas:

2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons water
1 (15 oz.) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed

For the Fajitas:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
3 bell peppers (any color), sliced (I used yellow, green, and orange)
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
Juice of 1 large lime
1/3 cup chopped cilantro

For serving:
Flour tortillas
Diced tomatoes
Avocado slices
Plain Greek yogurt (I used Chobani) or sour cream
Lime wedges

1. To roast the chickpeas: preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, lime juice and water. Stir in chickpeas. Place seasoned chickpeas on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring once during cooking, until chickpeas are slightly crispy.

2. While the chickpeas are roasting, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, peppers, and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes.

3. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Pour mixture over vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the roasted chickpeas and fresh cilantro.

4. Spoon roasted chickpea and vegetable mixture evenly down the centers of warm tortillas, and garnish with tomatoes, avocado slices, and Greek yogurt. Roll up tortillas, and serve immediately.

112 Responses to “Roasted Chickpea Fajitas”

marla — January 4, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

Love the “refocus” these fajitas look great fro lunches or dinners.

antique engagement rings — January 4, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

The fajitas look wonderful!

3. Pingback: Starting the year off right . . . | seasonsharvest

kathyfannon — January 4, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

I made these for dinner tonight. Winner! As my husband started his second fajita he said, “You can make these again anytime!” :)

Joanne — January 4, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with your healthy eating viewpoint! that’s how I try to live also. :)

these fajitas sound delicious! I’m always looking for fun, meat-free versions of my favorite entrees. A definite need to try!

Norma Chang — January 4, 2012 @ 8:35 pm

Healthy and delicious way to start off the new year. I am doing more beans, vegetables and fruits.

Tracey — January 4, 2012 @ 8:46 pm

Love how colorful these are Maria, so pretty!

Melissa @ Kids in the Sink — January 4, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

I usually just make veggie fajitas for myself and chicken for the rest of the family but maybe, just maybe my super meat-eater of a husband will go for these. I haven’t been a fan of the chickpea in anything but hummus until recently but hopefully since they’re crisp in this recipe, we’ll love them!

jenna — January 4, 2012 @ 8:59 pm

what a delicious way to start the new year!

Sandy @Southwestgirl — January 4, 2012 @ 9:01 pm

These look totally delicious. I love vegetarian stye fajitas filled with lots of veggies but, I have never thought of using chickpeas in them before. Great addition!

Mari @ Mari's Cakes — January 4, 2012 @ 10:08 pm

I wouldn’t mind healthy eating with recipes like this one. I am sure it is delicious Maria.

Have a wonderful and blessed new year.

A great vegetarian way to enjoy fajitas!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — January 5, 2012 @ 10:05 am

That my dear, is a great looking fajita! I’ve got to try this right away.

Delishhh — January 5, 2012 @ 11:59 am

I am with you – no resolutions :) Everyone should have a style of living not just in the beginning of the year. Love this recipe!

Sarah @ See Sarah Bake — January 5, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

How genuis! I love throwing chickpeas into my Mexican dishes, but I never thought of making them the star of fajitas. This is TOTALLY going on the menu for next week!

Bunny — January 5, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

This looks very good, it makes eating healthy easy!

Stephanie — January 5, 2012 @ 7:35 pm

What a creative idea for fajitas! I’ve been wanting to try roasted chickpeas and this sounds like the perfect way to try them!

marty — January 5, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

Loving this simple idea. It’s fresh and I’m sure the citrus really makes the flavors pop. Yum.

This looks so full of flavor and texture – yum!!

I’ve sauted chick peas with spices and ate them as nuts. I love the taste of roasted food, so I’m sure they will be good, plus I won’t have to stand there for 30 min’s frying them!

Kathie — January 6, 2012 @ 8:43 am

I made your honey roasted chickpeas a few weeks ago, and it set off a storm of chickpea snacking here. I roasted them with Adobo seasoning too, and my family inhaled them! They even eat them out of the can, as I am skinning them. Who knew that one of “mom’s wierd foods” could turn out to be…good?? I am going to make these fajitas this weekend while the going is still good. Can’t beat .67 a can and healthy too!
    I’m just curious, with your vegetarian cooking, have you ever used any Penzey’s Spices, or their blends? I’m thinking their fajita seasoning would be perfect on this. They have alot of delicious salt free blends that makes eating sometimes bland healthier things better!

• Two Peas replied: — January 6th, 2012 @ 10:15 am

Penzey’s would be great on the chickpeas! Enjoy!

Carissa — January 6, 2012 @ 9:54 am

Made these last night and they were so delicious!

• Two Peas replied: — January 6th, 2012 @ 10:14 am

Glad you liked the fajitas!

Christine K. — January 6, 2012 @ 10:04 am

These look delicious! I only recently discovered your blog and I have really been enjoying going through the archives and have been bookmarking recipes like crazy! I couldn’t put my finger on it exactly, but I just kept thinking, “Man this couple cooks the kind of food I like to eat.” Reading this post when you said you don’t eat meat, it clicked! I’m not strictly vegetarian, but I do tend towards vegetarian and I love cooking with veggies and baking all kinds of sweets — and those tend to be the kind of recipes you post! So keep up the good work, you’re my new favorite blog :)

• Two Peas replied: — January 6th, 2012 @ 10:14 am

Thanks Christine! I am glad you are enjoying our recipes!

Deborah — January 6, 2012 @ 10:13 am

I have been seeing more recipes that substitute chickpeas for meat, and I’m thinking I need to try it out asap! these look amazing!

Jenn — January 6, 2012 @ 10:54 am

I made these last night for dinner. They were fabulous! Thanks for posting the recipe. My husband has asked that they be a regular on the dinner table.

Dana — January 6, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

This is such a great idea! I would never have put chickpeas in a Mexican meal but it’s brilliant! Randy LOVES fajitas and I’ve never made them at home. Thanks for the inspiration!

Shraddha — January 6, 2012 @ 10:56 pm

I made this today without the onions and garlic. Hubby and I enjoyed it throughly. It so hit the spot.

Anne — January 6, 2012 @ 11:26 pm

Loved this recipe. Will become a go to dinner for weekdays. A little filling goes a long way and reheats well next day. The yoghurt made up for cheese and the mushrooms sub for meat in my view. I also added some sweet corn to counter the lime. Am trying to go meatless more often and this will definitely be on the menu again!

• Two Peas replied: — January 6th, 2012 @ 11:47 pm

Oh good-glad you enjoyed the fajitas!

katrina — January 7, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

That sounds AMAZING! Many thanks!

Elizabeth — January 8, 2012 @ 8:27 pm

Just made these – they were awesome – the chickpea texture was great. Love your website!

• Two Peas replied: — January 8th, 2012 @ 10:54 pm

Thanks Elizabeth!

Marly — January 9, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

Chickpea fajitas? Sounds fantastic!

aida mollenkamp — January 9, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

These sound really tasty, Maria. I’m sure I’d be a fan of this because I have made chickpea burritos for myself as a sort of go-to pantry meal: http://bit.ly/yhLy2H

kelley {mountain mama cooks} — January 10, 2012 @ 2:48 pm

How did I miss these? These look so good and what a great twist on the classic!

34. Pingback: 72 Healthy Recipes to Jumpstart 2012

35. Pingback: Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas |

36. Pingback: Roasted Chickpea Fajitas « WannaBe Chef

Courtney — January 22, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

This looks so incredible!! I could easily gobble up 3! This pregnancy is full of veggies! All I can handle.

38. Pingback: Roasted Chickpea Fajitas « The Food Charlatan

39. Pingback: Turning over a new leaf. Again. | eatmeetswest

Shraddha — January 30, 2012 @ 1:13 pm

I made this for a 70 ppl party along with your Sweet Potato Tostada. I also made Blackbean/Corn/Avocado salad I found on http://www.onceuponachef.com/

People loved it thoroughly. Thank you for this recipe.

• Two Peas replied: — January 30th, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

So glad everyone liked the fajitas!